Homebrew Factory format of New 3DS with CIAs installed

smithj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

I've currently got a New 3DS with CIAs installed through FBI and rxtools. If I were to restore the New 3DS to a factory state, how would I do this without leaving any traces that I messed around with the sysnand?

Reading the instructions to do this, it seems a format of the SD card and system format of the 3DS system would be enough to achieve this. Is this a fair assumption or would this still leave traces of the CIAs that I installed on the system?

Cheers,
smithj

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Download the EmuNand9 tool, Go into Format Options, Format EmuNand (Do normal and /auto ignoring the msg that it cant find a file just continue);
Then do the other Format option cant remember its name but dont do the /auto one.

You should see your SD card now has nothing in it and has removed the Hidden partition containing your EmuNand.
So now your SD is as if you just got it.

Now simply take out your SD from your 3ds and format your SystemNand from system settings.

Done.

(All saves, games, cia, themes EVERYTHING will be deleted.)

Reactions: smithj

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi there,

I've currently got a New 3DS with CIAs installed through FBI and rxtools. If I were to restore the New 3DS to a factory state, how would I do this without leaving any traces that I messed around with the sysnand?

Reading the instructions to do this, it seems a format of the SD card and system format of the 3DS system would be enough to achieve this. Is this a fair assumption or would this still leave traces of the CIAs that I installed on the system?

Cheers,
smithj
If you have FBI injected to sysNAND then simply restore the H&S backup and that should be pretty much it. Menuhax installs to the SD card and I assume you are using emuNAND so your sysNAND is mostly untouched. If your NANDs are unlinked and you use emuNAND for everything, then your sysNAND is pretty much in a vanilla factory state already so if you decided to remove everything to sell it, you'd just have to take out the SD card (or format it if you want to sell it with the SD card)

That's what I did when I no longer needed my 4.3 3DS XL. I didn't even format the system as I had only been using emuNAND and the console had a preinstalled game on it, so I just removed everything hack related from the SD card and left the preinstalled game there.

Reactions: smithj

smithj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now simply take out your SD from your 3ds and format your SystemNand from system settings.

Done.

(All saves, games, cia, themes EVERYTHING will be deleted.)

Just to verify, "Format System Memory." from the 3DS settings menu will restore the SystemNand to its original factory state regardless of what I have done to it? Deleting everything is exactly what I want.

johovahs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to verify, "Format System Memory." from the 3DS settings menu will restore the SystemNand to its original factory state regardless of what I have done to it? Deleting everything is exactly what I want.

Yes and no is the answer. To someone who will use it a simple format with settings will make the home menu back normal. But behind the scenes if you installed any non-legit stuff the tickets will still have traces of them. But to the everyday user it will make it back stock for gaming purposes.

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
If you have FBI injected to sysNAND then simply restore the H&S backup and that should be pretty much it. Menuhax installs to the SD card and I assume you are using emuNAND so your sysNAND is mostly untouched. If your NANDs are unlinked and you use emuNAND for everything, then your sysNAND is pretty much in a vanilla factory state already so if you decided to remove everything to sell it, you'd just have to take out the SD card (or format it if you want to sell it with the SD card)

That's what I did when I no longer needed my 4.3 3DS XL. I didn't even format the system as I had only been using emuNAND and the console had a preinstalled game on it, so I just removed everything hack related from the SD card and left the preinstalled game there.
No, If you format Sysnand the H&S already gets restored.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yup thats exactly what you need then just MAKE SURE you follow my steps in order or you will have to take extra annoying steps to delete the EmuNAND from your SD.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, If you format Sysnand the H&S already gets restored.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yup thats exactly what you need then just MAKE SURE you follow my steps in order or you will have to take extra annoying steps to delete the EmuNAND from your SD.
Formatting sysNAND does not delete titles from NAND, H&S is stored on NAND. So I seriously doubt that :P

smithj

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK to sum things up in case anyone else has this issue because I could not find anything via Google:
- I have installed FBI, which replaces the Health and Safety app, meaning the NAND has been tampered with. The process to downgrade the firmware does not tamper with the NAND, only when you start messing around with rxtools and FBI.
- A full format via the Nintendo N3DS settings menu DOES NOT bring this H&S app back.
- In order to restore the Nintendo N3DS to an original factory state, I would have to re-install a clean H&S app or apply a backup I may have made of my NAND (i.e. NAND.bin). The restoration of the NAND, using the backup and EmuNAND9, will restore the N3DS system to how it was before the FBI and rxtools installation process.

Sorry if I'm dragging this out, I'm getting some conflicting information here and I'm just confusing myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"