Factorio is leaving early access ahead of schedule as to not launch the same week as Cyberpunk 2077

fff-327-2020-cover.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077's delay has indirectly led to one game doing the opposite, and releasing earlier than intended. With the hype behind CD Projekt Red's title and its launch this September, Factorio, which had already been planned to leave early access in late September as well, has boosted up its version 1.0 release date by a few weeks. The developers felt that it would be best to release prior to Cyberpunk 2077, as they believed launching after would lead to negative effects. Originally, Factorio launched on Steam Early Access back in 2016, and throughout the past four years, has been updated reliably, until November 2019, where the team revealed that they would be completing their game and releasing it fully on September 25th. With this new announcement, Factorio's 1.0 update and release is now scheduled for August 14th.

The sooner the better
The general feeling in the office is that the game is pretty much done, and that we want to get it released as soon as possible. The sooner we get some closure on version 1.0, the sooner we can start thinking about fun and exciting new things.

:arrow: Source

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This game is really fucking good, 100% recommend to anyone who likes micromanagement games and "survival" games like this. I've got a few hundred hours into Factorio ever since it first released, loved every minute of it. I've built anything from huge, fuck-you-environment factories to as minimal planet hating ones and each one is just so much "fun" and interesting.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder if they'll bump the price, I have been meaning to get it but I always hold on it because things on sale are usually a better deal, this might make me pull the trigger and get it already.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if they'll bump the price, I have been meaning to get it but I always hold on it because things on sale are usually a better deal, this might make me pull the trigger and get it already.
The devs stated once that the game would never go on sale or appear in a bundle. I'd say it's more likely that it will go on sale sooner or later now if they're finally "releasing" it.

There are way, way too many other things to play these days to justify that price.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Factorio is clearly one of the best things to experience on a PC ever.
It was already a huge and matured game when it appeared on Steam and was always one of the few good examples for Early Access.
I thought it was pretty ugly and not interesting at all, when I first saw a classmate playing it. However this changed in an instant after I actually played it by myself for the first 30 minutes.
And it's even getting better and more satisfying the longer you play it as you get to optimize your factory more and more.
Spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in this game and it's still addictive as f*ck.

Also the devs are really cool, listening to the community and implementing features from time to time that have been used in mods quite often.
Speaking of which, the mod support is freakin' awesome. Once you start using mods you soon end up using at least 20 of them lol.
There are really genius things. Heck there's even a f*cking ANNO mod.

Great game. Get it as soon as you can. You won't regret it.

Last edited by lordelan,

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why would anyone put those two together? They barely have anything alike. Just lame PR move?
Because cyberpunk is going to flood every single gaming news outlet to the point where any other game launch will be much less visible.
The devs stated once that the game would never go on sale or appear in a bundle. I'd say it's more likely that it will go on sale sooner or later now if they're finally "releasing" it.

There are way, way too many other things to play these days to justify that price.
The price isn't unreasonable at all for what you're getting. Plenty of people have gotten hundreds of hours out of this game, and I think even a single successful playthrough should last more than long enough to get your money's worth.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I keep meaning to get a copy of this as it is right up my street in both description and things I have seen of it. Might have to actually grab a copy now.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well... Before I give my opinion, note that I'm not trying to be sarcastic or cynical in any way.

If you ask me, the factorio devs just wanted to play cyberpunk when it comes out rather than dealing with any Q&A at comes with releasing their game.
I've played the factorio demo last year, and really : the devs could have said 'we' ll release now' and STILL be the best example of early access used correctly. Fuck... They can probably hold a contest dating to find a bug and having no takers. Factorio matches a console in terms of stability <insert drumroll >
Their success is also somewhat their downfall : just how many interested players don't already have it? It's nice to have a full release, but what feature can they really add to the game that they haven't added yet?

... Okay, I'll probably (FINALLY) end up buying it. But it's more as support for sticking at their project than anything else (I liked the demo, don't get me wrong... But this is the sort of game that would distract too much from my tasks as a father)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would agree that this is a game (or even a genre) that where if you don't like it, you won't like it. But to the gamers who like simulators, tinkering with machines or management games, this is not just a justified price but an insanely low one. The average play time seems to be around a couple hundred hours, with some clocking in over a thousand (who STILL KEEP PLAYING). I've searched for alternatives, but games like satisfactory are at best a spinoff.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What about Spacechem or Opus Magnum?
I've actually played both. And while they appeal to the same audience, they are far more limited in scope. They each have about ten elements to convert to other elements, each with a space construction (a heavy one in space Chem).

Factorio certainly has more elements and very different ways to convert them (the constructs in both are auto powered, iirc) . Granted, the result in factorio won't be as simple and elegant as an opus magnum contraption, but the sheer size makes up for it easily.

To put it different : in zachtronic building games (I count infinifactory in this), space is mostly the only issue you run into when working. Factorio also has all sorts of automation requirements... If you want to fully automate it(which you obviously do)

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Yeah, I know they'll never do sales, which is why I haven't bought it yet, since I usually get my games on sales. The full price here is alright thanks to regional pricing, but if they raise it after it's out of early access, I would rather get it now than later.

I've searched for alternatives, but games like satisfactory are at best a spinoff.
The closest thing I've found is Modded Minecraft, which is how I actually learned about Factorio itself.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What about Spacechem or Opus Magnum?
The main difference is that Factorio is one single large world where you do everything, rather than "small" standalone levels. The core idea is similar, but because you can connect everything in Factorio, you end up with much larger constructions. You also need to think about scale (how many of these items do you need) rather than just making the item and being done, and you need to go out and get more resources, since mines aren't infinite. Then you need ways to transport those resources back to your base (long conveyor belts get impractical very fast, and the game has a very in depth TTD-inspired train system you can use), research new things to build, make sure your power supply is handled, think of base defenses against enemies, and as a whole it has a very different vibe from those games. That said if you like Spacechem and Opus Magnum, chances are you'll like Factorio too.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would anyone put those two together? They barely have anything alike. Just lame PR move?

It's called business. The game is less likely to get much attention with all the hype surrounding Cyberpunk, especially when people are budgeting for the game. It doesn't matter if it's not the same genre. Any release as big as Cyberpunk is going to overshadow smaller releases by leaps and bounds.

moto4mods

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's called business. The game is less likely to get much attention with all the hype surrounding Cyberpunk, especially when people are budgeting for the game. It doesn't matter if it's not the same genre. Any release as big as Cyberpunk is going to overshadow smaller releases by leaps and bounds.
Your post supports his question, it doesn't answer it?
Question: problem?
Answer: specific details of problem!!!

For example, what you said makes me go "why would they put them together?" Instead of "oh, that's why they did that."

Last edited by moto4mods,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your post supports his question, it doesn't answer it?
Question: problem?
Answer: specific details of problem!!!

For example, what you said makes me go "why would they put them together?" Instead of "oh, that's why they did that."

The thing you quoted seemed like a reasonable answer to me. If games these days are big enough to reach outside games and depress sales there they are certainly big enough within it.

That said I would put them together. Looking around online the sorts of people making videos, making mods, discussing Factorio and more are all about the likes of Bethesda games (Fallout and Elder Scrolls), Witcher, STALKER (plus mods), Deus Ex, various other story-action things, and I imagine the cyberpunk aesthetic (assuming they did not come up from the tabletop to begin with). To that end it is not only a big release (I have not seen this much hype for a game in quite a long time) but a big release with what I would bet is a serious amount of overlap in playerbase.

I don't know the sales dynamics of indie games but they still have something of a big first push. This one may be able to get that sweet long tail sales stuff going on but a few hundred thousand or more right off the bat, which would be depressed by everybody being focused on other things, is not bad to have either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...