Facebook reveals the Oculus Quest 2, launching October 13th

FEE3CEDC-E0EB-41C1-9515-0FC8318BB12F.jpeg

Facebook is finally ready to reveal its next foray into VR: the Oculus Quest 2. Succeeding last year’s original Quest headset, this latest hardware improves by offering a 90Hz display, with 50% larger resolution (1832x1920), at an accessible $299 price point, with a $399 256GB model also available. However, the 90Hz feature will not be available at launch, with the headset only capable of outputting 72Hz on release day, until a post-launch patch adds support for higher refresh rates. Other differences between the Quest and Quest 2 include a lighter headset weight, customizable faceplates, 64GB of storage, and 6GB of onboard RAM, with the option to buy a $79 USB-C cable to play the Quest 2 using your PC hardware.

Also notable is the fact that this headset will require a Facebook account to use. With the introduction of this new VR headset, set to launch on October 13th, both the original Quest and Rift S headsets will be discontinued.

:arrow: Source

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
with the option to buy a $79 USB-C cable to play the Quest 2 using your PC hardware
Is there any actual additional hardware in that cable, or is it just a regular USB-C cable and they're just being Apple about it?

Will the PC use also require a Facebook account?

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any actual additional hardware in that cable, or is it just a regular USB-C cable and they're just being Apple about it?

If it's the cable they already offer it is not a normal cable. Regular usb c cables can only maintain the signal out to 10 ft. Their cable is 15 feet and if I recall used fiber optics instead of copper wire. You can get some kind of signal booster thing to make an extension and some cables work better than others at 10ft.

Reactions: Veho and sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's the cable they already offer it is not a normal cable. Regular usb c cables can only maintain the signal out to 10 ft. Their cable is 15 feet and if I recall used fiber optics instead of copper wire. You can get some kind of signal booster thing to make an extension and some cables work better than others at 10ft.
This is correct. While 79 dollars is still way overpriced, there are other compatible usb-c cables you can find for cheaper, you need a cable that supports the bandwidth over the distance of the cable.

Last edited by sup3rgh0st,

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm new to vr stuff.

So oculus quest/2 does not need a PC, right?

But this one does connect to a pc, so, in this cases, the game will run on pc and be displayed on quest 2?

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I'm new to vr stuff.

So oculus quest/2 does not need a PC, right?

But this one does connect to a pc, so, in this cases, the game will run on pc and be displayed on quest 2?
It doesn't need a PC. It's completely wireless by default. But you can connect it to a PC to have the PC handle the games itself, and the headset just displays it- like a traditional headset

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's 16 feet, hard to get that length without signal degradation in USB-C

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the Oculus Rift S last year it does suck that they are discontinuing it, But its only $400 for the 256gb so that is really not that bad and I can have one 2 months after it comes out so long as I can find one if last year is anything to go by I got lucky and got mine a few days before xmiss. I will not be getting the usb cable tell next year though.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The best thing VR makers could do is start making this shit affordable. Make a budget model or two along side these expensive-ass $400 ones that cost as much as a game console. Some in the $99 and $149 price ranges, respectably.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like 3rd party controllers that work out of the box with this kinda like the valve index controllers without the loops to hop though.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
So, they got rid of the proper IPD adjustment from the 1st quest. So, yeah... Not buying it now. Good stuff dumb dumbs.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The best thing VR makers could do is start making this shit affordable. Make a budget model or two along side these expensive-ass $400 ones that cost as much as a game console. Some in the $99 and $149 price ranges, respectably.
"You get what you pay for." is what comes to mind here. The tech involved won't allow for a poor man's VR headset that works well enough. Not to mention, the Quest IS an affordable headset, in terms of comparative pricing.

Granted... There IS the Samsung Odyssey+ headset. I don't know if they still make it, or even sell it.. But it used to go on sale for as low as $189.99... For a pretty decent headset.

Last edited by Kioku,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was looking at the HP Reverb G2, but now that this has been revealed at half the price, I'm not sure anymore. It's not quite as high resolution as the HP Reverb G2 but it's only a couple hundred pixels off. The mounting system seems a bit cheaper, but that's to be expected at the price, so that's not a deal breaker. The tracking is maybe slightly better on the Quest vs the Reverb G2. The Reverb G2 has much better integrated audio though. None of that makes it worth spending twice as much on the Reverb G2, so I guess what it comes down to in the end is the clarity (optics) and the perceived resolution. If there isn't a significant difference in visual quality the Quest 2 is the obvious choice.
I wonder what the FOV is. I guess it's probably about the same as the Quest 1, maybe a very minor improvement. If it was improved, they would probably have mentioned it.

It's just a cable. The thing is, USB-C is just a connector type, it doesn't guarantee that all of the pins are connected (for example, USB 2.0 and 3.0 mode uses different pins, most devices will work with one or the other but VR needs all of them), or that the cable is of sufficient quality. With the longer cables that VR requires, you need thicker cores and better shielding to carry enough current and for the data transmission to be reliable. A random cable off Amazon that might be fine for charging your phone might not work at all for VR.
You can use other cables, they just need to be high quality ones, you can't buy a random cable and expect it to work. That's not just marketing talk "our cable is better", people have actually had issues when trying to use whatever cables they had laying around.

All that being said... That's fucking overpriced. I don't care how good it is, it's not worth $80. There has to be some list of tested and working cables with the Quest 1 that someone has compiled with much cheaper alternatives. Those are likely to work with the Quest 2 too. I'd pay $30-40 for a high quality cable, but $80 is a bit much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉