F2 Advance in Windows 8!

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Rytoast, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Rytoast
    OP

Rytoast Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    Hey, all!

I had a little adventure with an old F2 Advance flashcart recently, and I thought I'd share it with you all.

I bought a 3DS XL about two weeks ago, and my fiancee, seeing it, reminisced on her lost fuchsia-pink GBA, and how she had so much fun playing Super Mario World. Jumping on the chance of seeing my soon-to-be-wife become a gamer, I immediately ordered the same GBA off of Ebay (refurbished for ~$30, new was around $350, HA!), found my old F2 Advance (with the cord), replaced it's internal battery, and plugged it in. It still worked! But windows 8 recognized the system as a "Fingerprint reader device", and the 5 year old 32-bit drivers were unrecognizable in my Windows 8 64-bit Environment.

So I downloaded VMWare Player (free), installed a virtual 32-bit Windows XP, installed the F2Advance drivers, plugged the GBA in, and voila! The F2Advance GUI worked flawlessly, and my fiancee could play Super Mario World.

Thought I'd share this :)

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
  3. Rytoast
    OP

Rytoast Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    Yep! That's what I did!