1. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    snapdragon 835 ? It is a little bit weak for Citra-emu Android, lol.

2. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Why wouldn't it? Because you're not paying Verizon or AT&T or whatever? A phone call is a phone call, if my skype app on my PC can receive calls from your cell phone and I can call your cell phone from skype (and this doesn't mean the person I'm calling or calling me needs to be calling in Skype, no, you can call and receive calls from genuine phone numbers on genuine phones), then what would make that any less of a device capable of making phone calls than a smartphone?

Last edited by MikaDubbz, Oct 27, 2020
    Scott_pilgrim and Jonna like this.
  3. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    I’m thinking about making the switch to Android, but specifically only when there’s a phone with a physical keyboard that doesn’t cost more than a mainstream gaming console. So far, I have not found such a thing.

Seriel, Azerus_Kun and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  4. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If this isn't a scam (I know XDA is behind it, but I'm always wary of Indiegogo), I'm seriously considering it assuming the non-Android OS support doesn't suck.

The FOSS-focused phones have their own problems and are generally weaker (some of the problems themselves due to the orthodox FOSS "all blobs=bad" mentality; really, I don't care if there's a microcontroller on board handling critical functionality like making sure the battery doesn't explode or something else like that which requires some firmware).

I just want a modern reasonably powerful phone that gives me the option to thoroughly ditch Android given the direction the OS has been going.

Azerus_Kun, Prans and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I have half followed privacy options for a while now but was doing a bit of a closer look lately. Something being so out of the box is nothing to sneeze at but if I have to deploy a few of them in short order and expect normal people to do things then yeah.

If it also has all the nice options of the phone reviewed before (SD card, 3.5mm, possibly video out and what have you) then so much the better.

Hopefully it is the start of the avalanche and we can get out of the Andrios stranglehold.

Azerus_Kun and Prans like this.
  6. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Gbatemp’s official Scott pilgrim fanatic ™

United States
    Hope this will be a good os, since I only really like iPhone for the privacy aspect of it

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  7. GoldenBullet

GoldenBullet That One Guy

United States
    Privacy focused phone? People that go on XDA are 100% capable of getting a phone half the price and installing lineage os themselves. Sounds like a project that had good intentions but really was too much for the team to get a good value on.

Azerus_Kun and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    Really appreciate the design and the keyboard (in opposite order), but 650 is more than what I've ever paid for an iPhone at full retail price one week after launch

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  9. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

United States
    I'm on XDA a lot, and even I have not heard of this. I guess I shouldn't skim the headlines...

LineageOS, huh? That's a very good Android alternative. I'd hope that more phones adopt it in the years to come.

Azerus_Kun, Prans and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  10. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

This announcement was kept under wraps until yesterday. but they did mention they're working together a couple of weeks ago.

11. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    qwerty keyboard...about time duh! idk why they even removed those.
    Also i wonder how it is for gaming...

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  12. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

as mentioned in the article, you can check our review for the Pro1 to have an idea about that

MetoMeto likes this.
  13. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Alternative? It IS Android. It's not like running Ubuntu Touch. Which you can on this device. :x

14. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    the bad thing about this is it's just a rebranded FX Tec Pro 1 with 4 year old chip intended to be sold for way too much.
    and no one can guarantee you there's more or better security support long term

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Oct 28, 2020
  15. lemonmaster

lemonmaster Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    What??

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  16. Hambrew

Hambrew not your therapist

United States

17. Lodad

Lodad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just looking at this phone gives me major nostalgia for my old Samsung sch-i760 that I had back in 2009:

[​IMG]

Having a physical keyboard is super nice. This phone was mostly hot garbage, having Windows Mobile 5.0 and all, but that slide-out keyboard was a major redeeming factor for text messaging up until Swype was included on the original Galaxy S phones.

I've been wanting the best of both worlds for the better part of a decade now, I would kill for an attachment that had a decent d-pad and buttons with a keyboard squeezed in the middle though.

18. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Also great! Phisical keyboard > touch

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  19. Lodad

Lodad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Holy crap - now that I've looked at the page, there's no way I'm paying that much to preorder something like this. Physical keyboard and LineageOS aside, it's just not worth dropping $700 on something with nearly no track record in the market.

I really wish them the best and for them to gain some traction and reputability, but crowdsourcing something that expensive with no mention of warranty terms or life expectancy from a company that's only two years old? Count me out for now.

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    I'd rather get a Galaxy S10, which you know, has good specs for emulation. As does Google Pixel 4a and 5.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - smartphone, partners, announce