Gaming F-PROT?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I would instead suggest something like bartpe ( http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ ) with an antivirus plugin ( http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Category/antivirus/ ), I would not trust the write parts of the puppy linux NTFS driver to mess around with such things just yet.

Norton? (I thought everybody jumped ship already) it should be safe and seen as it will not be running it should not interfere.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Whats the best antivirus Live CD?

BartPE won't work because my Windows XP was pre-installed.

I need a reply fast because I think I still have a virus now.

Thanks.

EDIT: I have a Windows 98 disk. Would that work? Also, will it install anything on my computer? Fast reply is REALLY needed!
EDIT2: Please, please, please reply! I need to know if it'll work! What I want to know is if using a Windows 98 install disk will work for BartPE with Windows XP install.

Posts merged

I am very sorry for this double post but I really need to know fast, if the virus is still there I need to get rid of it fast.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bartpe: 98 will not work as far as I am aware. An iso of XP you can use to build it should not be that hard to find though. Not to mention preinstalled tends to mean hidden partition which is not that hard to change with gparted (stock puppy linux has it built in).
Bartpe is my choice of liveCD though for this sort of thing, invariably I will be messing with the registry or system files and I do not trust most linux NTFS write drivers enough for that (if you do use it back everything you change up and be prepared for fallout, it should be OK but debating the statistical improbability after the fact will not do you any good).

Another though, AV apps are not good to rely upon as they are primarily signature detection apps and the occasion heuristics which have nothing on a knowledgeable human. If you are that worried (and I have tangled with some stuff that flew under the radar) then you need to go proactive.

Safe mode is good for this as it avoids loading most things including the potential virus.
Link it with something like comodo AV which detects registry changes (the spybot people also did one or two apps I like to use here and could use in : http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=4 http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=8 )

Add in an editor like a squared hijack free:
http://www.hijackfree.com/en/ (make sure to get a squared hijack free and not the malware scanner a squared free).

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
Bartpe: 98 will not work as far as I am aware. An iso of XP you can use to build it should not be that hard to find though. Not to mention preinstalled tends to mean hidden partition which is not that hard to change with gparted (stock puppy linux has it built in).
Bartpe is my choice of liveCD though for this sort of thing, invariably I will be messing with the registry or system files and I do not trust most linux NTFS write drivers enough for that (if you do use it back everything you change up and be prepared for fallout, it should be OK but debating the statistical improbability after the fact will not do you any good).

Another though, AV apps are not good to rely upon as they are primarily signature detection apps and the occasion heuristics which have nothing on a knowledgeable human. If you are that worried (and I have tangled with some stuff that flew under the radar) then you need to go proactive.

Safe mode is good for this as it avoids loading most things including the potential virus.
Link it with something like comodo AV which detects registry changes (the spybot people also did one or two apps I like to use here and could use in : http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=4 http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=8 )

Add in an editor like a squared hijack free:
http://www.hijackfree.com/en/ (make sure to get a squared hijack free and not the malware scanner a squared free).
Good news, it looks like I'm getting a (legal) Windows XP disk.

You didn't say what AV('s) to use with BartPE. It'd be nice if I wouldn't have to install anything (one AV + one AV = two AV = really slow computer!).

Thanks, you rock!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A thought: if you have a windows preinstalled machine you most likely own a license to use windows. To that end it does not really matter where you get the media. Admittedly while I am confident it would hold up in court (especially a Canadian one) trying it out is a waste of time I do not need.

Back on topic bartpe is a livecd like puppy linux and like puppy linux you can burn modules and what have you back to the disc for puppy you can do it for bartpe (or better yet when you make it). I did give links but here they are again:
http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Category/antivirus/

You are not installing anything either to the machine, you "install" it to the bartpe disc.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
A thought: if you have a windows preinstalled machine you most likely own a license to use windows. To that end it does not really matter where you get the media. Admittedly while I am confident it would hold up in court (especially a Canadian one) trying it out is a waste of time I do not need.

Back on topic bartpe is a livecd like puppy linux and like puppy linux you can burn modules and what have you back to the disc for puppy you can do it for bartpe (or better yet when you make it). I did give links but here they are again:
http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Category/antivirus/

You are not installing anything either to the machine, you "install" it to the bartpe disc.
Thanks for the fast reply!

Meh, doesn't matter, they're going to give me the disk anyways. It'll take like a week at max.

Yeah, you showed me that link but I don't know which I should pick.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
playallday said:
Could I run F-PROT with Puppy Linux on a Live CD (not installed)? Would it find and/or remove viruses very well? If it "safe" for my data (i.e. Deleting startup files, etc)? Would it ruin my Norton in any way?

Thanks!

it should work, the NTFS write drivers are pretty much perfect these days.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So I should go with Puppy Linux with F-PROT then? It'll be a lot easier because I already have the CD, I use it on one of my other computers.

Posts merged

Sorry for bumping, but I really need a reply!

So, is it or is it not safe to use Puppy Linux with F-PROT to scan my NTFS drive?

Hey FAST, that's not what I mean. Some of the Antivirus's need say they need to be installed to my computer to make the disk.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure I am overstating the risk by quite a bit but as I said debating statistical improbabilities after the fact does not help anyone (unless your are in insurance I guess). For plain reading I have no reservations (know that the ntfs drivers do not tackle drive level compression or encryption all that well). Writing should be fine to but I just wanted to make sure you know things can go wrong, I imagine if you are playing this game everything worth anything is backed up already.

Re AV stuff. My bad, between virtual machines and testbed machines as well as the fact I tend to go in for manual detection and removal I do not have such worries. Worst case scenario you uninstall the anti-virus after you install it.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
I am sure I am overstating the risk by quite a bit but as I said debating statistical improbabilities after the fact does not help anyone (unless your are in insurance I guess). For plain reading I have no reservations (know that the ntfs drivers do not tackle drive level compression or encryption all that well). Writing should be fine to but I just wanted to make sure you know things can go wrong, I imagine if you are playing this game everything worth anything is backed up already.

Re AV stuff. My bad, between virtual machines and testbed machines as well as the fact I tend to go in for manual detection and removal I do not have such worries. Worst case scenario you uninstall the anti-virus after you install it.
Is reading from ntfs safe? I don't think I have any viruses now, but I want to be 100%. I don't think I'll be doing any writing/editing on the drive, but I might.

I think I'm going to try Puppy Linux out and hope for the best. If I don't reply for a few days, you'll know what happened
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
UltraMagnus said:
playallday said:
Is reading from ntfs safe?

reading is pretty much 100% safe, the worst that could happen is it reads it incorrectly.

writing is 99.99999999999999999999% safe

Reading is 100% safe in ro mount mode.

Writing is very but not perfectly safe with the latest ntfs-3g. The older you get the worse the writing is.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Taza said:
Reading is 100% safe in ro mount mode.

Writing is very but not perfectly safe with the latest ntfs-3g. The older you get the worse the writing is.
Uhh, whats ro mount mode?

Well, I'm going to do the "report only" in F-PROT. If it does find something, then I can start freaking out
tongue.gif

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
ro=read only

If you do write make sure to have the latest versions of puppy linux or have , the previous version (4.00 which looking at when you wrote you posts you likely have) have shipped with the older version of the ntfs drivers http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28791 which is what I am basing most of this on.
Ah, thanks.

I have Puppy Linux 4.1.2 burned right now... But I can't find the disk
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."