F.E.A.R. 1 lags insanely after 1 min of playing

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by da_head, Mar 14, 2009.

Mar 14, 2009
  1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    yeah so as my name says, i start up fear, have everythin on max. start the game, and its running beautifully. then about a minute or so into the game, it starts lagging up a lot and really slows down. the laptop fan doesn't make any more noise, and checking the task manager, only like half of my ram is being used and some of the cpu. just to make sure, i put everything on low, and it still lags the same. what gives? i'm sure my comp far exceeds the recommended specs required for the game. perhaps its an issue with my video card?

windows vista home edition 64 bit
    core 2 duo 2.0ghz
    4gb ram
    nvidia geforce 9600gtm

2. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    It is a Issue with overheating. Intel CPU's cut back the CPU multiplier and voltage when they get to hot if it gets even hotter it will just shutdown or something like that i am sure it used to happen on my old P4 laptop.

Edit: Found more info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-co...ils,1695-3.html

3. da_head
    OP

Canada
    but i can play a lot more intense games without this occurring.. such as nfs:undercover, cod 4, gta 4...
    is f.e.a.r. really pushing my cpu that much?!

4. Lee79

United Kingdom
    Use some monitoring software like Everest Ultimate Edition. Pirate the full version then enable logging to HTML file in the preferences start the game play intill it happens and the check the log file. Also use CoreTemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ to moniter your CPU temps as i find it much more reliable then Everest as it reads the sensors straight from the CPU and not the motherboards sensor chip.

5. da_head
    OP

Canada
    i use speedfan. is that sufficient? i'll post the results

EDIT: ok i checked the temp of both the cpus both before, during, and after it started freezing. no relative change, before playin it went from 60ish to 70ish (which is normal), and when it started freezing it just stayed at the 70 mark. when i played gta 4, i've seen it go higher. i'm certain its a specific issue with the game.

6. Lee79

United Kingdom
    70c seems high to me my AMD 7750 BE overclocked to 3ghz does not go over 50c when playing games check with Coretemp like i said more accurate and on it the Tj Max temp is the maximuim temp your cpu can go before it throttles.(Edit: not throttles it is the shut down temp so it would throttle before it reaches that)

Still try logging with Everest as it logs temps, voltages and GPU temps plus a lot more like memory usage and system processes and gives a good overview of what is happing with you system. but as you say it might be something with the game the only advice after that would be make sure the game and your system is fully updated and disable any running programs/processes you do not need when playing the game.

7. da_head
    OP

Canada
    well regardless if the temp is high or not, that's how it always is when i'm playin games *shrug*
    ok i'll dl coretemp. and um my system is fully updated, and i close all programs when i play a game. THOUGH the game itself isn't updated (cuz it's pirated lul). maybe that's it..

edit: and the tj max is 85c. it doesn't even get close to that, so that can't be the issue can it?
    edit2: after a quick check, i've determine that the game is the latest version 1.08

T-T what's wrong!?

8. Lee79

United Kingdom
    Well if you have played games ok a 70c i would say the temps are not the issue but remember it will throttle before it gets to 85c. Laptops are not the best for playing games because of heat problems because producers put desktop CPU's into the confined space of a laptop. I had a lot of problems with my old laptop that had a ATI GPU and was advertised as a gamming laptop but the P4 cpu kept overheating and shutting down the system. What you do from here is up to you try updating the game and looking for a new crack or get a laptop cooler or just give up and play a different game anyway good luck sorry i could not be anymore help.

9. da_head
    OP

Canada
    ah no worries. thanks for your help. hmm i'm wondering if it mite be my graphic card driver? its fully updated, but its a beta :S

10. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    F.E.A.R isn't exactly a fantastic game anyway IMO, so you're not missing much. Have you tried updating to the newest version of F.E.A.R as well, and rolling back the drivers to a stable release as you half suggested would be a good idea if all else fails. Otherwise just Google your problem or look at support on the F.E.A.R site.

11. da_head
    OP

Canada
    o its not that good? hm i just wanted to play it before downloading buying the second one heh. and yeah its the lastest version. i've tried googling the problem intensively. i guess all there is to rollback my drivers and hope for the best.