0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So I just found out today that my step-dad has a malignant brain tumor, so it's basically impossible to operate on. They give him about two years, with chemotherapy. My mom and him are really into new-age shit too, so they'll be wasting a bunch of money on "alternative" therapies that insurance won't cover, like acupuncture, naturopathy, etc. I don't care if you *think* acupuncture fixed your back pain, it can't cure cancer. Ugh.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
0ddity said:
So I just found out today that my step-dad has a malignant brain tumor, so it's basically impossible to operate on. They give him about two years, with chemotherapy. My mom and him are really into new-age shit too, so they'll be wasting a bunch of money on "alternative" therapies that insurance won't cover, like acupuncture, naturopathy, etc. I don't care if you *think* acupuncture fixed your back pain, it can't cure cancer. Ugh.

Hope is more powerful than any medicine.

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TwinRetro said:

Not really. If you have a headache, aspirin will work almost every time, hoping, not so much. Hope is fine, but taking money for providing false hope is immoral.

Dionysus

Trophies
XP
Country
0ddity said:

I wish your step-dad all the best : D I'll pray for him tonight.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
0ddity said:
TwinRetro said:

Not really. If you have a headache, aspirin will work almost every time, hoping, not so much. Hope is fine, but taking money for providing false hope is immoral.

what your step dad needs at this point is hope, and if homeopathy and acupuncture does that, then so be it. Take it from someone who has lost 3 family members due to cancer.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I truly hope the best for your family.

Also, I had to slightly edit your topic title.
Go ahead and say FUCK CANCER all you want here in the thread. Just not in the title please.

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vulpes Abnocto said:
I truly hope the best for your family.

Also, I had to slightly edit your topic title.
Go ahead and say FUCK CANCER all you want here in the thread. Just not in the title please.

Thanks, and no problem, my bad about the title.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't feel like quoting, but I think you're missing the point of the whole "hope" thing.

Will it cure his cancer? Let's say...sure as hell not likely...

What it will do is allow him to live more happily with the time he has. I mean hell, chemo might do nothing, so homeopathic remedies will at least do as much as chemo might, with the benefit of hope and the "I'm right" feeling that homeopathic fanatics tend to love.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish the best for your step dad
smile.gif

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Hope (when combined with faith) can have some pretty impressive effects sometimes. I mean, a few things that have shown me not to doubt that duo:
- My dad's best friend was healed of cancer (it literally disappeared, even an extracted tumor had no trace afterwards for some reason)
- A man from our church was healed of blindness
- That same man later attempted suicide (It still makes me go
huh.gif
), died, and then lived again
- My mom's best friend's husband was healed of an eye tumor

Hoping for the best
happy.gif

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Don't knock the alternative therapy. Its pretty much the only thing that has kept me alive these last 17-18 years. The doctors still say I have only a few months to live, and have been saying those long years. At least once a year a ful acupuncture, acupressure, and the whole what else can you do for me, stuff.

Its not about having or giving up hope, its about living and enjoying life.

But on the flip side, I don't know if your ready to hear this, have you made your peace with him?
Do the things you won't be able to do when he is gone, etc. Cause life is filled with one time chances for things and I would hate to have you filled with regret. (I have literally no regrets, and always do what I don't think I will have a chance to do again, if that makes any sense).

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"hope" is BS
when's the last time hope cured anything?
a close friend of mine died from cancer, and if you're gonna substitute hope with medicine than you're out of your mind..

if not for those religious bigot, and their quest to stop stem cell research, we might be closer to findering a cure

sorry, this discussion got me angry..

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
"hope" is BS
a close friend of mine died from cancer, and if you're gonna substitute hope with medicine than you're out of your mind..

if not for those religious bigot, and their quest to stop stem cell research, we might be closer to findering a cure

For every single cure that comes out of stem cell research, blame dumbass Republicans for delaying the cure

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
all the best

not a believer in miracles, but heck i hope it works out in the end

dnt tend to sound harsh, im sure its a hard time now, but enjoy it as much as it will last.

then again i still hope that one of these miracles happens

best of luck man.

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
rastsan said:
Don't knock the alternative therapy. Its pretty much the only thing that has kept me alive these last 17-18 years. The doctors still say I have only a few months to live, and have been saying those long years. At least once a year a ful acupuncture, acupressure, and the whole what else can you do for me, stuff.
I disagree, but I don't want to argue the merits of alternative medicine here.

rastsan said:
Its not about having or giving up hope, its about living and enjoying life.
That I can agree with.

rastsan said:
But on the flip side, I don't know if your ready to hear this, have you made your peace with him?
Do the things you won't be able to do when he is gone, etc. Cause life is filled with one time chances for things and I would hate to have you filled with regret. (I have literally no regrets, and always do what I don't think I will have a chance to do again, if that makes any sense).
That's what's really hard about all this. My parents divorced about 10 years ago, my dad remarried after just a couple years, but my mom didn't until about 3 years ago. They've been very happy though, and he's very good to her, and I've been really happy for her that she found someone like him. The problem is, that in 2009, I moved to Canada, about 2500 miles away from where they live, and they still haven't been able to meet their grandson in person (he's 18 months old.) They were planning on traveling up here, but now with his treatments and everything, they won't be able to. I'm just hoping my wife and I can find the time and money to fly down in the next year.

QUOTE(RoMee @ Oct 11 2010, 09:55 AM)
"hope" is BS

Thank you, this is exactly how I feel. I'm sorry about your friend.

djc89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The western world cannot currently accept alternative/complementary therapies as viable treatment. This is mainly due to the fact that all treatments require scientific explanations behind their workings in order to be approved. But just because they are not FDA (or similar organization) approved doesn't mean it doesn't work. However, it's beginning to change. Famous hospitals such as the Mayo Clinic have begun research on some therapies, and so far have had positive results, afaik. In fact, some already approved drugs have natural origins. For example, a cancer drug that I have used was derived from a tree (Topotecan/Hycamtin comes from the happy tree), and Premarin comes from horse urine. Approach them with open hearts and minds, and you might be surprised at the results. That's not to say that all alternative therapies work...but in my experience, some do.

I currently am undergoing treatment for cancer as well. Have been for the last year and a half, since I was pulled out of my sophomore year of college studying biology. I have been employing a blend of eastern and western medicine, and feel pretty great. Have not caught any other illness despite my immunity being quite low 2/3 of the time. I practice some alternative therapies everyday, and feel that it is working.

Some tidbits on my philosophy on cancer (not that you asked for it, nor am I an expert). Read when you (as in you and family) are less angry and shocked:

-Cancer is not necessarily an evil/bad thing, and can disappear suddenly. After all, cancer are rogue cells FROM YOUR OWN BODY. Your own body made these cells, and can eliminate them as well. We all get cancer cells, and usually they are killed off before they propagate into something bigger. Your body has natural defenses against these things.

-Soil is more important than the plant. Your body is the soil on which the cancer grows. If you kill the cancer without changing the body such that it is adverse to cancer growth, the cancer can just grow back. In other words, the cancer is a symptom of a deeper illness. Look to lifestyle, mental, diet, etc. for the real cause.

-Cancer doesn't have to be a bad time in your life. It can bring things that are hard to achieve in a normal, busy life. Take time to enjoy. Among other things, I have received a greater sense of spirituality in my time with cancer.

-Feel more, think less. Many times, I have felt that I had been lead to a decision with a type of confidence that no logic/thought could deliver or justify. It has not steered me wrong yet. I used to be a very analytical and logical person, looking for "the best way" and overthinking things several steps into the future. In this last year and a half, I found my self drifting away from this mental state. I couldn't choose what was "best", because not even the doctors knew what that was. I couldn't predict, because I was so often incorrect due to the erratic nature of cancer treatment.

-Mental state is key. Positive emotion is important. Thinking, "Ugh, I can't do this. I'm sick" or "It hurts, it hurts!" will only perpetuate any pain or illness. The negative vibes will be sent through the body, as it resigns itself to being "sick" or "in pain". However, being proactive about your treatment and approaching it with a positive outlook can do wonders. You've much more power over your body than you think.

That said, I'm not expecting to really convince you and your family of any of these right now. Rather, I'm just planting seeds such that when you experience these revelations for yourself, you are more open to them.

Have a good day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat