EZIV Question

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by h8uthemost, Oct 4, 2007.

Oct 4, 2007

EZIV Question by h8uthemost at 9:17 PM (1,768 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. h8uthemost
    OP

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hey guys,

I just ordered an EZIV Lite Deluxe. And since I've never owned an EX product, I just want to make sure about a couple things. This is what I need for both the PC patcher, and for the firmware on the cart right:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=532

Also, I'm new to this Psram and NORFlash stuff. Some games have to be written to the Psram, and some to the NORflash? How am I suppose to know which games are written where.

I"m trying to find a good EZIV tutorial, but there forums are a mess. So if anyone has a link handy to good a tutorial, then that would be great.

Thank you for any help. I'll really appreciate it.

2. alcaholjunkie

Member alcaholjunkie GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The deluxe has enough PSRAM to run pretty much every GBA game (it's the normal and lite versions which need the larger GBA games written to NOR). This means you can just load up the GBA games without any fathing about (still run them through the client first).

First off the microSD card needs to be formatted as FAT16 and NOT FAT32. Then create a SAVER directory.

The PC software you need is the client and latest patch dll file (and updated romlistds.txt file for DS roms)

When you load up the software, choose english language obviously (unless you know chinese, lol), then click on config, and select your microSD card's drive letter in the send path, then click ok.

Then click open, select the game you want to send to the microSD card. After a possibly few seconds, the name of the game should appear in the ROM name bit.

On the right you can select the folder ont he microSD to transfer the game to, when in the right folder press send, simple as [​IMG] lol

(uses a client due to rom patching and trimming)

You'll also need the latest kernel (ez_fla.bin file). place the kernel file on the microSD card, and then hold R trigger when loading up the ezflash IV and it will update it. (in either DS or GBA mode)

After that you can remove the kernel update file.

ezflash IV section of ezflash forums
    ezflash IV software updates thread

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Wow, you're awesome. Thank you so much for all that info. I really needed that.

I'm primarily going to be using the cart for GBA games. So that's why I was asking about the psram and norflash. So I'm not going to have to write many game to the norflash?

And that link I provided is from the GBAtemp Downloads list. And it has *Latest* next to it. So I'm guessing that all I need?

I looked in the folder, and it has the PC patcher. But it also has a sysbin folder with a EZ_Flash.bin in it. So that's the .bin is the kernel right, that I put on my microsd?

Anyways, thank you very much for all the info. This cart seems a little more confusing than my G6 Lite, so that's why I'm asking all these dumb questions. [​IMG]

4. alcaholjunkie

United Kingdom
    Nah that's not it, the update file is named ezfla_up.bin (misspelt it in last post), latest one is EZ4loader070315.zip. [​IMG]

5. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Ok, there's an ezfl_up.bin in that download too. But thank you for the link.

So I get it. They release new patch.dll that you put into the folder for the pc client, instead of releasing a whole new client, right?

Thank you again.

6. alcaholjunkie

United Kingdom
    Yes that's right. Since most, if not all the rom patching is done with functions in that dll file. [​IMG]

7. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Sweet. Ok, I think I got it all figured out now.

Thank you so much for your help alcaholjunkie. I really appreciate it.

8. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    I have on more question.

I'm getting my microsd ready for when my cart arrives. And I'm going to put a bunch of GBA games on it. Now, I"m so used to the G6 Client, but...I don't see a trim option anywhere on the EZ4 Client.

So I thought maybe it just trimmed automatically. But when I ran a GBa game through the client, it was not trimmed once it arrived on my microsd.

So is there some setting that I'm missing for trimming? Or does everyone just use a third party trimmer to trim your GBA games? And which one do you use?

Thanks.

9. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think GBAta can trim gba roms.

10. h8uthemost
    OP

United States
    Ok, thanks pikadude. I'll check it out.

If anyone else knows of any good GBA trimmers that would be cool to mention them.

Thanks.

EDIT: Ok, I trimmed a game with GBAta. But once I run the game through the client and onto my microsd, the game no longer shows as trimmed. Before I trimmed the game is was at 8mb. When I trimmed it, it was at 7.88mb. But when the game gets on my microsd(through the EZIV Client), it shows as 8mb again. Anyone know why this is? Does anyone else trim their games for their EZIV?