EZFlash iV, sav files, and Gameshark Snapshots

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Ziggy Zigzagoon, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Ziggy Zigzagoon
    OP

Member Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Essentially, how can I have Gameshark Snapshots (that I downloaded from GameFaqs) work in the save files I have in my EZ Flash iV? I know that the EZ Flash Client and VBA make .sav files in different ways, hence simply making a .sav with VBA after importing the sps file then overwriting the sav file in the saver folder of my memory card does not work. (I tried.)

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The hardware route:
    You will need a gameshark, not the one from madcattz. If the rom required save type patching before use, the save snapshot will not be compatible for use.

The software route:
    VBA can be used to import the snapshot to create a save you can use. If the rom required save type patching before use on the EZ-Flash IV, the save snapshot will not be compatible for use.

3. Ziggy Zigzagoon
    OP

Puerto Rico
    Does Pokemon Emerald require patching?

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    As far as I know, the patching on emerald is to adjust the save size not the format. Be aware that the EZ-Flash IV does not have RTC, making any time based events useless like getting berrys etc.

Other than that you should be able to use the save directly after you convert it through VBA.

5. Ziggy Zigzagoon
    OP

Puerto Rico
    I am not fretting about RTC events.
    Just for confirmation, should I take the save made by the Client , convert the save with VBA, then replace the original save in the card with the new save?

6. lamfp

Newcomer lamfp Member

United States
    Okay. What you do, is you take the snapshot file and import it into vba, and then save the game. (IN VBA). Take the sav file that pops up after you save and copy it onto the card, it should work.

7. Ziggy Zigzagoon
    OP

Puerto Rico
    I meant to say: "Should VBA use the .sav file that the client made, or should VBA make its own save file?"