ezflash expansion pack

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by aZnXrAvEr, Jun 22, 2007.

Jun 22, 2007

ezflash expansion pack by aZnXrAvEr at 5:36 AM (1,093 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. aZnXrAvEr
    OP

Member aZnXrAvEr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I followed the steps in this topic:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=46742

However, I'm still lost.

What I'm trying to do is play Pokemon Emerald with my 128KB sav file.
    What do I do? [​IMG]

First of all, I put rudolph's 3in1 ezv flash program thing in my R4.

I tried patching it with the EZ4 client with save size as 'SRAM' and '1024k bits'... But the game wouldn't load when I tried to play it in PSRAM mode. (What's the difference between the PSRAM and NOR modes anyway?)

I got the rom to load fine in NOR mode but my sav data isn't there. And what about the 'battery is dry' error? Is there a way to fix that?

Any help will be appreciated!

--
    edit: oops, I didn't finish typing the whole post title.
    should be something like "ezflash expansion pack with R4, help"

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    PSRAM is a type of RAM. It's fast to read and write, but the data disappears when the power is turned off. NOR is a type of flash memory that is slow to write, but fast to read. Like all flash memory, the data stays when the power is turned off. It takes a minute or three to write a game to NOR, but once it's there the game can be started without any loading time. It only takes seconds (up to 15 seconds or so for a 16MB game) to load a game into PSRAM, but it has to be loaded into the PSRAM every single time.

The 3-in-1 was designed to run GBA games from NOR only, but later on Rudolph figured out how to run games from PSRAM as well.

Games that use 1024Kbit flash saves have to be run from NOR due to the way the EZ4 Client patches that save type.

When you write a game to NOR or load a game into PSRAM, the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool should write the matching save to the 3-in-1 if it finds one. The save should have the same name as the GBA game, but with the .SAV extension.

If you've already got a game written to NOR, you can write a different save to the 3-in-1 by replacing the current save file on the microSD card with the new one (it should give you the filename for the current save in the 3in1 tool), going into NOR mode in the 3in1 tool, and pressing 'Y'.

As for the 'battery is dry' message, the 3-in-1 has no RTC, so that's to be expected. There may be a patch to fix it, but if there is I don't know where to find it.

3. aZnXrAvEr
    OP

Member aZnXrAvEr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    YEs! Thanks Destructobot for clearing it up for me! [​IMG]

--

oh, one more thing! When I patch the gba game, should I use SRAM_TYPE, EEPROM_TYPE, FLASH_TYPE, or UNKNOW_TYPE?