Hacking EZflash 3in1 won't load my Mother 3 save.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using an Acekard 2.1 with AKAIO firmware and an EZflash 3in1. I have been using it to play Mother 3. Recently, my save corrupted, so I used a save editor and a battery save to bring it back. The save loads fine in an emulator (Visual Boy) but when I use it on actual hardware it says it is corrupt. I've used this method before and it worked. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
you probably didn't SRAM patch mother 3 after you IPS patched it for english.
I did. It worked previously. Could it be that the save file has grown to large for the rom? Larger than 512kb, that is.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The save size is fixed.

The only cause can be that you either changed loaders or your save got corrupted (saving when the battery light is red, causes incomplete saves or writes junk data to save file).
Same loader all the time, AKAIO latest version, light was red, and I lost the save, but got a save from a battery save archive on the internet, used the Japanese to English save converter tomato made, loaded in an emu to test, it ran fine, erased NOR flash, wrote mother 3 with the translation patch to the NOR flash and loaded the save file, game had the text "Save data corrupted. Must be deleted.", tried sram patching, save patching, and more, but can't get the save to work on the ds. If it makes a difference, I was at the first save frog in the
thunder tower

bluesceada

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi,

any solutions?

Same/similiar problem here. I got an old save file from AK2 v4.17 and updated to AKAIO.

AKAIO seems to load the save file just halfway or something see the following:
1. I got a fully working not corrupt savegame from AK2 4.17
2. Load it with AKAIO
3. In the game it tells me "Data corrupt. Save file(s) deleted."
4. After that SOMETIMES just one of the two savegames is still there (good that I always use both to save, I first didnt do a backup, but could load it again in AK2 firmware), SOMETIMES none of the two is there
5. I go in the game, save it again to both slots
6. I turn off and on the DS, AKAIO loads the savefile back to MicroSD
7. I load Mother 3 again and it tells me "Data corrupt. Save file(s) deleted." - Both save files are missing now and show "No Data"

It is an AKAIO and not EZ 3in1 problem.

by the way, my save file is 64kb in size, but bot save slots worked without a flaw in AK2 official.

--- edit: ---
In addition which in fact is a bit of an EZ problem:
I first had a wonderful working savegame:
1. I got a new EZ 3in1 but didnt backup my save stupidly enough.
2. AK2 official didnt detect the new EZ 3in1 so I got AKAIO
3. Tried Mother 3 with old and new EZ 3in1 and AKAIO: savegame corruption like explained above with both EZ 3in1s the same
4. I could still load the save with my old EZ 3in1 and AK2 official -> had one slot still there and saved it to itself again and to the other slot
5. Tried multiple times saving/loading/playing to get sure nothing is corrupted anymore (with AK2 official)
6. Tried other Games with the new EZ 3in1 with AKAIO: All do work...
7. Tried to create a new save in AKAIO with Mother3 => same problem

So my conclusion:
Problem between Mother 3 with AKAIO, so either there needs to be a fix for AKAIO, or for Mother 3, but as according to the following thread, AKAIO most times has problems with (patched?) 32mb games:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=154178

Then there is also something of interest: Which Mother 3 should I use?
Mother3+English Patch
Mother3+English Patch+EZ patch

Initially to create the savegame I used the EZ patched Version, it didnt work in some earlier AK2 official version without, now at least in 4.17 both work without any problems with my savegame (of 64KB size).

Somebody need to report this to the AKAIO people (if they care?)

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
no, he had a power issue. Not enough power left to write to the SRAM. Your going to have to use any backup save file or start over.

This was common with GBA hardware, guess it still is.
No, it wasn't. I lost the save, got the back up from an archive, used japanese to english save file converter, tested in emu, worked, wrote to sd, ran file with new save, same message as him.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 3in1 doesn't support EEPROM save formats for save data, I already told you this. YOU HAVE TO SRAM PATCH THE GAME AFTER YOU IPS PATCH IT FOR ENGLISH.

Until you SRAM patch the game you will NEVER get it working on the 3in1. That is 2 seperate patches.

It is not called "japanese to english save file converter", IPS patching affects the rom data not the save format.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The 3in1 doesn't support EEPROM save formats for save data, I already told you this. YOU HAVE TO SRAM PATCH THE GAME AFTER YOU IPS PATCH IT FOR ENGLISH.

Until you SRAM patch the game you will NEVER get it working on the 3in1. That is 2 seperate patches.

It is not called "japanese to english save file converter", IPS patching affects the rom data not the save format.
Jesus Christ, I was using a JAPANESE SAVE, and used a program that translates it into ENGLISH, it was called the japanese to english save file converter. I DID translate it with the patch and THEN sram patch it. The save was from an emulator and a save from an emulator worked BEFORE. I don't even care. The damn EZflash crapped out on me. Fucking nothing works, ram, rumble, NOTHING.

http://mother3-files.fobby.net/Mother3savConverter.zip

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The save converter still keeps it eeprom formated, you can't use it on the 3in1, that makes the save converter you used useless with the 3in1. It will only be good with an emulator or a flashcart that supports eeprom save types.

To get Mother3 working on the 3in1, you HAVE TO SRAM patch the game. Every thing on the fobby website was ment to either run through an emulator or a TRUE GBA flashcart with eeprom support not a gba expansion pack. After an SRAM patch, it pretty much means you have to start over from the beginning; this applies to every game that goes through a SRAM patching.

You probably bricked the save space on the 3in1 and locked it in game mode, you will most likely have to disconnect the battery to erase the save data to get it working again. If you don't want to waste your time trying to fix it, go buy a new one.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The save converter still keeps it eeprom formated, you can't use it on the 3in1, that makes the save converter you used useless with the 3in1. It will only be good with an emulator or a flashcart that supports eeprom save types.

To get Mother3 working on the 3in1, you HAVE TO SRAM patch the game. Every thing on the fobby website was ment to either run through an emulator or a TRUE GBA flashcart with eeprom support not a gba expansion pack. After an SRAM patch, it pretty much means you have to start over from the beginning; this applies to every game that goes through a SRAM patching.

You probably bricked the save space on the 3in1 and locked it in game mode, you will most likely have to disconnect the battery to erase the save data to get it working again. If you don't want to waste your time trying to fix it, go buy a new one.
How exactly do I erase the memory? The ds just picks it up as an option pak. And Homebrew doesn't pick it up at all. I did SRAM patch it. It did, in fact, load the saves that were run through the convertor before. I do not see why it would not work a second time.

partymetroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have an Acekard (2i) with AKAIO, and am using the EZFlash 3in1 slot-2 device to try to run Mother 3. I have already patched the ROM with the Japanese-to-English patch, and also the GBAta SRAM patch. I, too, cannot load Mother 3 from within AKAIO, even aftering being flashed to the NOR. How else am I supposed to be able backup the save, besides running the GBA Backup Tool?

[edit] I already posted about this problem in a new topic the other day (without having known about this thread, sorry
wacko.gif
).

Here's what I put in the post:

QUOTE said:
I'm trying to play Mother 3 with the combination of an Acekard 2i (AKAIO) and EZFlash 3in1 and a Nintendo DS Lite. At first, I tried simply patching the Japanese ROM with the English translation patch. I couldn't load it from within the AKAIO menu (even after flashing it to NOR), so I loaded it through the slot-2 port from within the main Nintendo DS menu. That worked. The first thing I did in-game was go to a save point (6 minutes into the game), and then I turned off the DS and loaded AKAIO menu (for the purpose of seeing if I could load the game from within AKAIO after saving in-game once). After the "LOADING..." message, a message flashed saying something like "the game save was backed up onto the slot-1 device". After that, I played the game for about an hour straight, saving frequently. After that hour, I turned the system off to load into AKAIO to "back up my save game". After that, I booted back into the game, and all the saves from after the first time I saved the game were lost. (The first one, however, was saved, strangely. I have a few theories about this, but I don't feel like taking the time to share them.) I read somewhere that I was supposed to take certain steps to play the game, and the gist I gathered was "patch the ROM into English, and then 'SRAM' patch the ROM with GBATA"...

... which I did. I then erased the NOR, and reflashed the NOR with the English/SRAM-patched ROM. I still can't boot the game from within the AKAIO menu. I assume that I should be able to save the game from within the AKAIO menu... am I right in this assumption? If I'm told that I won't be able to save into the game from within the game menu and have to save the game while playing it from the Nintendo DS's main menu, I'll try it. But I would really like an answer about why I can't boot into the game from within the AKAIO (yet?).

Thank you for a sincere reply!

Hope that can help you... help me.
smile.gif

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
With the AKAIO, someone told me that it trys to autopatch the game a second time. There are instances before with other games where the autopatching messed with the GBATA SRAM patching.

In that case above, best thing would be to try and use a different loader like cory1492's:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4749

If you have an older version of the 3in1, you can try an older version of the loader to find compatibility.

Reactions: MetalMarZ

partymetroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
With the AKAIO, someone told me that it trys to autopatch the game a second time. There are instances before with other games where the autopatching messed with the GBATA SRAM patching.

In that case above, best thing would be to try and use a different loader like cory1492's:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4749

If you have an older version of the 3in1, you can try an older version of the loader to find compatibility.
Ah, thank you very much. I'll be using Cory's... thanks again!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
El convertidor de guardar todavía mantiene eeprom formateado, no se puede usar en el 3in1, que hace que el conversor de guardar que utilizó inútil con el 3in1. Sólo será bueno con un emulador o un flashcart que admita tipos de guardar eeprom.

Para que Mother3 trabaje en el 3in1, Tienes que SRAM reparar el juego. Cada cosa en el sitio web de fobby fue ment o ejecutar a través de un emulador o un flashcart VERDADERO GBA con soporte eeprom no un paquete de expansión gba. Después de un parche SRAM, casi significa que tienes que empezar de nuevo desde el principio; esto se aplica a cada juego que pasa por un parche SRAM.

Usted probablemente bricked el ahorrar espacio en el 3en1 y lo bloqueó en modo de juego, lo más probable es que tenga que desconectar la batería para borrar los datos de guardar para que funcione de nuevo. Si no quiere perder el tiempo tratando de arreglarlo, vaya a comprar uno nuevo. [/ QUOTE]

Ho
enlgish forum, you must speak english.
i suggest you to read the rules https://gbatemp.net/help/terms
also, that is just a quote of how do i do that translated in Spanish for whatever reason

2009 thread (8 years old)
all users in this thread except "how_do_i_do_that" no longer come to gbatemp, and extremly like it's been so long they moved on....

Last edited by migles,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1