EzFlash 3 in 1 does not save. -no it's not battery

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by overdriver, Apr 6, 2011.

1. overdriver
    OP

Newcomer overdriver Advanced Member

United States
    My 4 month old Ezflash 3 in 1 does not save in SRAM anymore.

In GBAExploader it asks ”may I set this slot2 expansion pack for GBAExploader” every time I load it up. so, I figure that this is a classic 'battery' problem.

I bought a new CR1220 and followed the guide in this site.. and guess what.. it shows same problem.

I checked with my multi-meter and it shows I installed the battery correctly... and I was bored so I checked the old battery and you know what... it has same 3V voltage, too!!

omg.. anyone has any idea what might go wrong?

I had some contact issue from the day 1 that I received this product but can it cause this type of problem?!? HELP!

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    Your problem would be the rom then, you either didn't patch it or your trying to play a RTC pokemon game. Classic case of a pokemon user.

Switching between AKAIO and GBA Exploader will cause the SRAM to reset to new for the other loader.

List your slot1.

List your games your trying to run.

3. overdriver
    OP

United States
    I don't think this is any RTC related since it happens on every game. e.g. in Castlevania it doesn't allow me to save at all.
    I am using an original R4 with the latest wood version.
    It just act like no battery but it is not. (My multi meter saying a new battery supplies the correct voltage and even my old battery still works ) I tried on other DS lite but it didn't change anything.
    It's so weird.. the only thing I would suspect is the contact issue. Anyone?

I appreciate your help. Please, suggest me to do anything..

4. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
  5. overdriver
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the suggestion !
    .. and I think I got a bad news [​IMG]
    the result is:

'Nor Flash id=0x227e2218
    start SRAM verify.
    verify Err: Add=0, S=74, D=1'

does this mean SRAM in my cart is totally bad?

EDIT: Mine is 'EZ5C11' version. I can see 7/2007. wow.. it's really old one [​IMG]

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    The EZ5C11 technically comes AFTER the EZ5C3, because the EZ-Vi series stopped using the multi-rom feature.

It is only listed in that order due to the numbers after C on the PCB.

The EZ5C11 has been giving quite a few problems for alot of people lately. Most of them are usually related to no access to the rumble and ram functions under exploader.

You probably have a bad connection on the board, likely where it supplies power to SRAM.

If you didn't do the battery guide before you got advice first, you could have just RMA'd the thing and got a new one in a month or 2. But since you did, you have 3 options open to you:

A. Buy a new 3in1 to replace the one you got.
    B. Test the 3in1 you got with another slot1 flashcart to determine if the 3in1 is defective.
    C. Do nothing and burn 20 bucks into the trash if you do not use the 3in1 you got anymore.

7. overdriver
    OP

United States
    thanks for detail explanation. I love to hear some tech stuff background [​IMG]

Yeah.. It was bad decision to replace a battery without testing the battery. I already tested 3in1 with other slot1 or even without any slot1 card. It works fine except sram save function.

.. and my options.. arg I guess I have to buy another one. Do you know any shop who has latest version of this ?
    I'd like to get the newer version if possible (just for the battery life..)

Thank you

8. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    RTC has nothing to do with whether or not the game will save.

9. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    your probably going to end up with another EZ5C11.

There is no garentee you will get any of the other versions. The most stable were the EZ5C10 and EZ5C13 boards. I haven't bought anything in over a month related to the 3in1, and nearly every place had the EZ5C11 board. You want to look first then buy, email them if they happen to know what version they are selling if you can get a good answer. Otherwise it is luck of the draw.

Sure it does, if he is trying to run pokemon. Most people will read the battery has run dry message as part of the exploader. There are people that consider that.

10. Ammako

Canada
    What?
    The Battery has run dry message has nothing to do with the game's ability to save.

11. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Of course it doesn't have anything to do with that. people that can't tell the difference lump it together regaurdless if that is a seperate issue.

12. Ammako

Canada
    If you already knew that, then why did you list that as a reason for it not to save?

13. dederomagnolo

Newcomer dederomagnolo Newbie

Brazil
    i'm with one similar problem with my ez flash 3 in 1, i used the ez flash normally for months. My brother have a r4 flashcard too, and he decided to play pokemon ruby, but in his flashcard, when he tried to sav the file, appeared the alert " cannot save game "
    since this episode, my ezflash didn't save anymore. I changed the battery, and nothing. I tried with Gba Exploader, but i dont understand why not save/read existent saves anymore X_X
    is it related with the use of two distinct r4 ? Can u help me? :\

14. sonicrings

Member sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I'm having this exact problem myself. I have opened my ez flash 3in1 V 2 times, once to check the charge of the battery, and again to check if the connections are good. The battery has 3.3V charge and all connections are okay, so I don't understand why I cannot use ANY save functions at all on my ez flash. Rumble works, ROMs that don't need to be initialized at the beginning work (Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3 work, but not Pinball Party, for example), and I only got this to be able to play Sonic Advance 3 on my DS Lite cuz I wanted to make a new game, but didn't want to delete my save file on my original Sonic Advance 3 GBA cartridge I got 8 years ago. I really, really, REALLY just want to play that ONE game, and I want it to save. Sending the ROM from my DSTWO to the ez flash starts a new game every time, and sending the ROM from my DSTTi to the ez flash loads up a 100% completed save file, something I haven't been able to do for the past 8 years (that last Special Stage is hard..) so I don't know why one gives me no save while the other gives me a 100% completed save. Please, I really need help with this... Any help at all would be VERY appreciated.

15. syrusch

Member syrusch GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    If you just want to play Sonic Advance 3, you can backup you save within the cardrige with GBA Backup Tool 0.21. Then start a new game ;)

All you need is A DS/DSlite, GBA Backup Tool and your original Sonic Advance 3 :)

16. sonicrings

Canada
    Thanks for that option, but I really prefer to keep the original cartridge just the way it is. It was the first game I ever bought, so I'd really hate myself if I did anything to it. I really just want to be able to play Sonic Advance 3 on my EZ Flash 3in1 V...

17. sonicrings

Canada