EZFA Realtime + GBA Pokemon + Migration to D/P

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by HisshouBuraiKen, Dec 8, 2007.

1. HisshouBuraiKen
    OP

Member HisshouBuraiKen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My trusty old EZFA Realtime has served me well over the years, and when I first found out about how Pokemon migration would work, I was a bit tentative. I tried putting a clean ROM of Castlevania: AoS with no multirom on it, and when I started a new game in DoS, I got the bonus item like you would for having an actual AoS cart in the GBA slot. I figured I was set, but now (after a grueling run of catching all sorts of critters in LeafGreen), Diamond won't recognize the EZFA as LeafGree, even with the loader not being written.

Any suggestions/patches? How can I get GBA Pokemon from my flash cart to my DS game?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You probably can't. If you have a retail copy of Diamond you definitely can't.

As far as I know, the only flashcarts that you can migrate pokemans from are the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 and the M3 Real GBA eaxpansion. You can migrate pokemans from the 3-in-1 to any slot 1 flashcart via a patch for the Diamond or Pearl rom. The M3 Real expansion can only be used to migrate pokemans to the M3 Real (and possibly the G6 Real).

You cannot migrate pokemans from any flashcart to a retail copy of Diamond or Pearl. If that's what you are trying to do, you will need to get a retail copy of the GBA pokemon and transfer your save to it, then link the two retail carts.

3. HisshouBuraiKen
    OP

United States
    No, it's not a retail Diamond, it's on an R4. I also didn't know there was a way to transfer rom saves to retail GBA carts, that option's always greyed out when one's inserted.

You mentioned a patch for the D/P rom? Can you elaborate on that a little?

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    There is a patch for Diamond/Pearl that allows the DS game to read the save from a GBA pokemon game on the EZ-Flash 3-in-1. It does not work with other slot 2/GBA flashcarts. You can get it here if you are interested: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=...er=asc&start=15

You can transfer saves to and from retail GBA games with a program called cart_save. An old GBA flashcart like the EZFA cannot read saves from a retail game, but it can write saves to a GBA game using the flashcart SRAM DLDI interface. See here for more info: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=533...ndpost&p=684140

5. HisshouBuraiKen
    OP

United States
    It looks like cart_save should do what I need, I'll post again with my results.

Thanks in advance for your help!

6. HisshouBuraiKen
    OP

United States
    Well, I couldn't get cart_save to work, but ironically that same topic provided the answer - using FlashManager (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=53337&view=findpost&p=695550)
    and VBALink, I was able to trade pokemon from my LeafGreen save to my
    Sapphire save on my PC, then overwrite the save on the retail cart with FlashManager (something the EZFA client can't do, though it can read the retail saves just fine). So it's all good now. Thanks a bunch!

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Ah yes, trusty FlashManager. I've used it in the past for savegame backup and restoration. Be sure to read the notes at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/FlashManager about EEPROM saves though, if you plan to use them in an emulator at all.