EZFA on NDS - How to make DS roms work?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by sirdaver, Jul 11, 2006.

Jul 11, 2006
  1. sirdaver
    OP

Member sirdaver Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I have an old EZFA and a new superkey (with splash screen). I'm wanting to get the G6 Lite (english) when the become available. Until then, I'd like to play a game or 2 using my old EZFA. I understand this is supposed to be possible, but I'm having trouble getting roms to work. I'm just trying a single rom at a time, using LoadMe.exe version 1.0. I'm using the EZFA client 1.03 (latest), and I've tried all of the combinations of options available.

When I choose the MultiROM option in the EZFA client, I get the standard NDS health and safety screen, which goes straight to the SuperKey splash page and sits there. If I do not have the MultiROM option checked in the EZFA client, when I turn on the NDS, I get 2 white screens only...no health and warning even.

Is there a different patcher other than LoadMe.exe (I've heard something about 'NDS Patcher') that I should be using? Is there different software other than the EZFA client that can see the EZFA cart to write to? Does anyone who has successfully done this have any tips or advice?

Also, not sure if it matters, but I have not done the FlashMe on mine. Is there really any need to bother with FlashMe if I intend to keep my SuperKey in my DS slot? Is anything really gained? I understand that I will be immune to the 'bricker' that came out some 6 months ago if I flash, but really, that's the only benefit, right? I have no fear of doing the flashme process, but I don't want to bother if it provides no real benefits. I understand the need for it with the old huge devices, but since this fits in flush, I can't see why flashme is needed with this generation of passme cards.

Thanks for any help!

2. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    The correct option is to use the EZFA client with the MultiROM option 'un'checked.

You may be getting the white screens for a couple of reasons -

1. The ROM you are patching may not be compatible with LoadMe/NDS Patcher - Check this site for compatability - http://www.dualscene.net/viewpage.php?page_id=29

2. The ROM may not be able to save to the EZFA and may need an original DS cart in the DS slot to save to. (Not sure if this prevents bootup though) Obviously the Superkey doesn't have any SRAM onboard to save games to, so if you want to use LoadMe/NDS Patcher then you are probably better off flashing your DS with flashme and using some original DS carts to save your games.

3. sirdaver
    OP

Member sirdaver Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice MC DUI. I was able to verify on dualscene.net that I was indeed using a compatible ROM that saves to the EZFA. Turns out my problem may have been the SuperKey. I tried every combination of options possible to make it work, but nothing worked. I decided to go ahead and run FlashMe_v7 on my DSLite. Thanks to the great guides, I had it flashed (tiny hex key and foil ftw!) in just a few minutes. Once my DS was flashed, my EZFA worked on the first try. FlashMe > SuperKey