EZF lite ?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by mackster, Oct 24, 2006.

Oct 24, 2006

EZF lite ? by mackster at 9:17 AM (2,860 Views / 0 Likes) 39 replies

1. mackster
    OP

Member mackster GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    hi guys im having in argument with myself to buy the EZF lite OR the supercard lite ( i all ready have a supercard SD) im just wondering how the EZF iv lite goes againts other lite cards like the supercard lite OR the M3 lite in NDS compatibility, GBAcompatibility , homebrew compatibility, media compatibility

thnx lots

mackster

2. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    NDS compatability is fantastic. Some say it's not as good as M3 / SC but I'm not too sure what games are left that wont run on any of the three, apart from spiderman and pokemon dash. Nothing that matters to me for sure.

GBA compatability is brilliant and again I'd love to know exactly what would make another cart better than it.

Homebrew seems to be fairly good, had some faults on all of my carts with various programs though. Best to get specific if there is a particular set of homebrew apps you are interested in.

Media compatability? do you mean multimedia file playing, 'cause it runs moonshell.
    If you mean media card (Micro-SD) compatability then there are no problems I know of, again maybe be more specific.

I'm a big fan of the EZ4 series. It is my daily use cart for my NDS. I actually have two EZ4 Lites, one original in my sons DS Lite and a deluxe in mine.
    I also own an M3-mini and DS-Link. Whilst I don't own a supercard I have a friend with one and some experience with it.

EZ4 is my pick out of all the slot 2 removable media carts atm.
    I'm not sure why it doesn't get a better rep from the flashcart scene. It has constant updates and comes from a long line of EZ carts which have all been good. I really like the game manager software too. Simple and effective.

Anyway whatever you get I hope it is all you hope for.

**edit**
    I should add that I find the interface the best out of all the carts I've used. You can run GBA games from the DS menu, it is skinnable and has touchscreen support. I think that is a big plus for it.

3. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom
    I own both ez4 and sc and I'm actually quite dissapointed with the ez4 when it comes to the DS side.

EZ4 is slowish, no matter with what mem card it cannot pass the vania video test or run Tony Hawks without slowdown during music changes and also slow meus on Animal Crossing. Also lots of games have stutter/loading and some games don't work, which seem destined to remain unfixed by the ez team... Harvest Moon, Monster House, Tamagotchi 2, pokemon dash amongst others. All in all the ez4 is a good cart especially with its good gba support, it's a shame it's on the slow side and the ez team seem unwilling to fix non-working roms.

DS... SC>Ez4
    Homebrew... SC>EZ4
    GBA... EZ4>SC

4. shtonkalot

Australia
    Have you tried loading Tony Hawk again with a recent loader / firmware meangreenie? It made a big difference to me, the game is pefect now when it wasn't before. Can't remember what loader/firmware it was that made a difference though. Wasn't that long ago...
    I've just now played it again to check and there was absolutely no slowdown between song changes. I know the problem well but for me it has been fixed.
    Harvest moon seems fine too, maybe some slightly longer transitions than on M3 when exiting a house but nothing too bad. I don't understand where the problem is there.

Which game is Tamagotchi 2? is that cornershop connection? I don't play it but my son and his friend with an EZ4 do and they seem happy enough with that game.

I really have played a lot of games on the EZ4 and am completely unconvinced that there are lots of games that run slow.
    I had it with Tony Hawk and I had a problem with tetris freezing when exiting wifi connection and both of those were fixed, albeit a fair while after the games release.
    It does show that they (EZ team) have fixed problem games though.

I'm not trying to say it's the most compatible cart neither am a fanboy of this (or any other) cart.
    The whole reason I like it so much is that it "just works" and it does so quite well.

5. pte

Member pte GBAtemp Regular

I have also read that the NDS games are near perfect nowadays. The EZ team has also released their fatlib so I will try out the deluxe. I hope it is a fine product overall.

6. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom
    Just checked Tony hawks, still slows down during music changes, not surprising as the ez4 hasn't got the speed, hence it cannot run the the vania vid properly still (though it is better with the latest frimware/client)

Tamagotchi 2 just don't work as Monsterhouse (crashes when starting a new or load game)

Harvest Moon goes weird and or crashes when you try and use the axe, theres a few threads on the problem at sosuke forums (unofficial ez forum)

There is new software for ez4 due today or tommorow, hopefully Harvest moon will be fixed but i doubt since it didn't get fixed in the 10/10 update.

7. shtonkalot

Australia
    Tony Hawk is running fine on my kingston micro-SD as stated in the above post. What SD card do you use?
    I'd like to know what tamagotchi 2 is, can you give me the release number?
    I was unaware of the axe problem, I believe you I just havent played harvest moon more than testing load times and such.

The EZteam aren't perfect that is for sure, there 1.02 (I think) loader made "vania" buggy as hell for me. Havent tried it with 1.03 or above yet though.

8. teH XeRO

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ive been happy with my ez4 deluxe...never was a sc product geared customer....m3's are supposed to be nice but they are very pricy for not having that many more advantages, if any over the competition. in terms of slowdown with the ez carts...meangreanie is probably pointing out a lot of the games most ppl dont play [​IMG] lol b/c i havent noticed any of that in any of the games i play (guess it depends on the games you like, but overall slowdown isnt an issue with the cart as a whole) if there are a few games that do have slowdown, what would it hurt to go and buy them? you're talking about only a few games that u may or may not play that slow down compared to everything else that runs perfect.

9. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    And there is the thing... Every single one of those games are titles I didn't know didn't work on EZ4 (until someone told me) because I've never tried them. I've never tried them because they're titles I have no interest in, except maybe Havrest Moon but it's consistently poor reviews put me off of even bothering to download it.

The latest three scene releases can go ahead and be broken too, as I have no interest in Strawberry Shortcake, Jake Long or Spongebob (the cartoon rules but the games usually suck). What I do know is the Contact, Magical Starsign and Children of Mana are all working and those are the titles I care about. I'm sorry it isn't that way for meangreenie and that he feels burned somehow by EZFlash (or at least it seems that way), but I find it hard for me to get riled up when there isn't a single DS game I care about that doesn't work on the EZ4.

Yes, it is about freakin' time the EZFlash team fixed Pokemon Dash and others that seem to be forgotten... But then why should they? The way I see it from reading this forum and others is that most users don't care about those titles and the "meangreenie's" out there that do can be counted one's fingers. Frankly, I'd rather they spend time on making sure that games that aren't crap are working. Of course meangreenie has kids and I'm sure he has to listen to them whine about said games not working. [​IMG]

Yes, I want the Castlevania intro fixed... Well sort of, I own a retail copy of that, and when the new one comes out I'll care even less.

Yes, I wish homebrew compatability was better... But then I see that as more of a issue w/ the homebrew authors then w/ the EZFlash team. Most of the homebrew coders are using Chism's FAT library for removable media support which hasn't been updated in yonks. Most of the things I've had problems w/ depend on this library, and things that can be compiled as a single "file" work fine, for one. Second, the EZFlash team can't force the homebrew scene into supporting their products. All they can do is release source code (which they did) and add unique features that will be compelling to the homebrew scene (I think the EZ4 Lite Deluxe fits that bill) and hope the scene gets behind it.

My point in all this rambling is that I while I agree w/ shtonkalot and teH XeRO about the good points of the EZ4, I recognize the validity of meangreenie's points, even though I find them a bit overly critical. I owned an EZ4 (regular) and when I decided to buy a Lite specific flash cart, I was happy enough w/ the EZ4 to buy an EZ4 Lite Deluxe. I don't own a SC so I can't compare, and if you get a SC Lite you won't be able to do so either, so there is the safe choice. IMO the EZ4 Lite Deluxe has some very compelling features, this may not hold true for your use, but if you are floundering then maybe those features are something you want, and maybe you'll wish you had them if you go w/ another SC. Or maybe, the SC wasn't what you hoped for and you want to try something else, but your afraid a the EZ4 might be worse.

And the sad fact is that this thread (and every thread like it) isn't and probably never will be very helpfull. Mostly these threads just get a bunch of fanboys declaring their cart of choice "awesome" and the others as "sh!t". Most people don't own multiple flash carts so that tends to follow. Right now your lucky enough to have two people who actually (or at least claim to) own both the carts your asking about. Unfortunately they have VERY different views, so who do you believe? Don't look for an advocate, buy the one you want.

Me? I'm loving the extra NOR on my EZ4 Deluxe, I've got all the GBA games I currently want on my flash cart burned there (my first GBA cart was a 256 Mb cart and I still managed to always get 3-6 games on it), and thus they aren't taking up space on my SD. I don't have to do the QPC crap to make GBA games save. Every DS "ROM" I have an interest in works. And so on. IMO anyone who tells you the EZ4 is a shoddy product has an agenda: SC/M3/etc fanboy, EZFlash hater, etc. MicroSD's are hard to get out of ANYTHING that accepts them. The microSD to SD adacpters that ship w/ them, my phone, etc. And so on.

So I guess it's three against one at this point. Take it as you will.

10. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    okay i'm not going to read all that ^. i'll just add my 2 cents and leave [​IMG]

i've owned the EZ4 lite and the Supercard Lite.

both Supercard lite and the EZ4 lite are solid products, no doubt about that.

However, supercard lite is better in most aspects in terms of speed and (homebrew+DS) compatability. Although the differences are very small indeed, it is still a fact that the SC Lite out performs the EZ4 Lite.

The only thing that EZ4 is better than supercard lite is in GBA compatibility . If you are going to get deluxe or compact, I think they look better than the supercard lite as well because the SC lite isn't glossy. but those 2 are the only things that should concern you. i say, if you like GBA, go wtih EZ deluxe.

11. shtonkalot

Australia
    Well maybe, depending how you look at it.
    I'm not trying to say the EZ4 is a better card then any other and certainly not directly aimed at the SC.
    I prefer to use it over the other flashcarts I have and others I've used on a regular basis. All I'm getting at is that I like it in certain ways.

There are problems that I have seen with the EZ4 and ones that still exist for it. meangreenie and I have had (seemingly) some different experiences with it too.
    It's unfair to say any cart is better than another cart IMHO.
    All carts can be good for some things (even the NeoFlash ones [​IMG] ) and therfore can be good for some people.

So yeah, not exactly any score to be tallied as far as I can see. Unless you want to make it a poll and then I'll get really riled up [​IMG]

12. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    Not really the point I was trying to make. All I meant is that it seems 3 people were recommending the EZ4, while one clearly was not.

I'm well aware of the advantages the SC has over the EZ4 and vice versa, I wasn't trying to declare one superior to the other. That's why the way my 3:1 comment was worded was as wishy washy as it was. [​IMG]

13. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    EZ4 > Supercard

Only a few games have slowdowns on the DS side, and that's worth the trade if you want the best GBA support on the market.

14. other

Member other GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Uh, it's not like the EZFlash team made any effort to make homebrew work: http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=11...&start=0#104654

You make it sound like it's chishm's fault.

15. -KangaRod-

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Didn't read the thread, but I can vouch for the EZF.

I've owned 2x EZF IV
    1x EZF IV Lite
    1x EZpass3
    and EZF IV Lite 2nd (delux)

as soon as they release a slot 1, I'll buy it just because I am so happy with their products and want to support them further.

That said, I have no experience with any other carts, as I always tell my friends to get ez flash.

16. other

Sweden
    How difficult is it to take out the microSD from the EZ4 Deluxe/Compact? That seems to be a big concern.

17. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    Clearly Chishm (and you apparently) is unaware of this.

I do not blame Chishm for not having EZ4 support in his fat lib, it's not his "job" to support every cart out there and the fact that he has made the effort he has is very admirable. This does not change the fact that as long as Chishm doesn't add EZ4 support to the library and as long the homebrew scene continues to rely on it for removable media support, homebrew will continue to have problems on EZ4. "Chishm's fault"? No, but the homebrew scene is not likely to suddenly quit using his library, and he is the maintaner of that library. DYSWIM?

18. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    To be honest it isn't all that easy, but as I said, it's every bit as hard to get the microSD out of the SD adapter it came w/, my phone, etc. It's something I've sort of come to expect when using microSD's, not that that means I think it should be that way mind you. Anyway, the contacts in the slot in the EZ4 Lite D/C do grip the SD pretty tightly when you first get the cart, but loosen up a bit after some use, so it does get easier.

19. other

Sweden
    Okay. I think I might get one, the price is great for what you get.

20. megatron_lives

Member megatron_lives GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    like kangarod, I've had loads of EZ carts. but ds support lets them down

I just got Supercard and love it!!!

Advice however, check both forums for supercard http://forum.supercard.cn/
    and EZ flash http://ezflash.sosuke.com/
    and see what problems you might be in store for!
    That's how I made my decision; for DS support - My choice is supercard