EZF Advance 256M - write speed problem

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by The Chow, Nov 24, 2008.

Nov 24, 2008
  1. The Chow
    OP

Newcomer The Chow Member

Canada
    In case you need clarification on my question, the flash cartridge I'm talking about is exactly this one: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=21032

I've had it since 2004-ish, and I remember having a problem with writing games to the cartridge way back then, and I knew exactly what the problem was. When reading somewhere (I forget where, but probably their official site), they said that the write speed or something will screw up if your computer was too fast. Basically, when I'm writing and this error occurs, the progress would never finish, or the progress bar would go past the end of the file that I'm writing.

I solved this problem by running something like MAME while the cart was writing, to help "slow down" what was going on by running extra applications on my PC.

Now, I recently bought a Gameboy Player and want to leave this flash cartridge in it. I know it worked because I put in the flash cart into the player to see if it worked. But I've cleared the cart to put in different games. However I'm having the same problem as before. The problem is, I've since gutted my PC and have a new motherboard, processor, USB 2.0, etc. so my computer is much faster than it was those many years ago. Now, I can't slow the write process down by running extra apps, and the error keeps on happening no matter what.

Can anybody think of any solutions to this problem, short of trying it from an older computer?

2. MasterM

Newcomer MasterM Advanced Member

Poland
    Wasn't there an option to turn speed on either compatibility mode or fast mode?

3. The Chow
    OP

Newcomer The Chow Member

Canada
    I'm not sure. Where would I have found this option?

I appear to have the last app client for this cart (as far as I can tell), which is v 1.03.

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I can confirm there is no option in the client itself to change the write speed.
    Try looking in the archive forum, most of the information about the older carts is in there. There was a few people asking similar questions (mostly about problems with 64-bit processors) but at first glance there doesn't seem to be lot of answers.

5. The Chow
    OP

Newcomer The Chow Member

Canada
    Yeah, found a couple of threads that talk about this, but mainly because I used the search for "EZFA" instead of the whole name which helped out a lot.

This thread was particularly informative: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=89252&hl=ezfa

Pretty much, I think the only thing I can do on this new setup on my computer is to downgrade my USB port and get CPUKILLER, as described halfway into the thread. Haven't tried it yet (because I don't want to have to go through the trouble of loading the files in a slow-ass computer again in case it doesn't work), but I probably will after a while.

6. jobdone

Newcomer jobdone Newbie

United Kingdom
    I'm unsure if you have still tried this , but it wasn't the usb ports that were playing me up because I can downgrade mine to usb 1.1 (effectively) in the bios and this made virtually no difference to me. I assume running MAME might work on a slower system but doubt it would work now on a reasonable system. what you require is a way of slowing your cpu down(don't ask me why i'm unsure but I can guess).my cpu needed slowing down by at least 50% with some freeware soft I got hold of(can't remember the exact name but the above link is correct). the cpu needed to be slowed down for the whole 100% of the rom burning or else you got the problems you are suffering from now!
    quick edit: I looked my original post and downloaded 'TURBO' from here http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/turbo.zip it's freeware so thanks to the author (not me!) just download it unzip to your desktop and run the exe (it has no icon other than a VB basic one) and click the TURBO tool bar icon , type in a turbo speed (automatically on 100% full speed) I would recommend starting at 50 and getting lower if you still have problems. close the program when you've finished with the ezfa client and it will speed your pc up again when it's closed!!