EZ5 Kernel 2.0 alpha (27th May 2009)

Swandy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lupigen said:
That's why I said that it might only apply to some Vi carts, we just need to figure out which ones. When did you buy your EZFlash Vi ?

Last month - early April - from a company in California.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think there is hardware revision like on ak2i flashcart.
But i'm sure there is several firmware version on the market. Last night i have helped a user on IRC.
His EZVi was in firmware version 1 ! After the update in v5 and a full format with panasonic formatter, no more microSD problem.

Concerning my EZVi, it was a sample flashcart sent in middle of April.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some bugs I have noticed, in MegaMan ZX Advent, the hole you jump into before Atlas causes the game to freeze, dunno if this was the same with previous kernels or not. Also the codes are not working on the DSi with the EZ Flash Vi for some reason, it says to press Y to enter the game's cheat menu but nothing happens.

Lupigen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mbmax said:
I don't think there is hardware revision like on ak2i flashcart.
But i'm sure there is several firmware version on the market. Last night i have helped a user on IRC.
His EZVi was in firmware version 1 ! After the update in v5 and a full format with panasonic formatter, no more microSD problem.

Concerning my EZVi, it was a sample flashcart sent in middle of April.
I know that it can't be either of those, since it shipped with the v5 firmware (I tried to run the updater when I first got my Vi and it confirmed this), and I formatted the 8GB card with Panasonic's SD Formatter before I put anything on it.

Recently, for the latter point, I put the 2.0 kernel on a spare 1GB Toshiba (SD-C01G Made in Japan) that was freshly formatted by Panasonic's program, and I still encountered the same problems. (I try to start a game, and the Loading bar just stops near the end) I also tried the previous 2.0 release on the same card and the problem still occurred.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gausen was not able to run all previous k2.0 pre-alpha on his SDHC card because it even doesn't start at all, staying at splash screen "now loading"
Now with this kernel it's ok.
The purpose of those two splitted kernel is to know if this bug is fixed.

So now, is there any others user that are able also to run this kernel now ?

Concerning the fact no games starts at all for you Lupigen, just to be clear, you have done a full format of your microSD under panasonic formatter; full erase ON and adjust ON ? This operation takes a couple of minutes to perform.
Also you are using freshly unzipped clean roms on your microSD ?
Your microSD is a 8GB C08G Japan like mine ?

And last to the audience. This kernel needs to have the USERCHEAT.DAT inside the /EZ5shell folder now.

Lupigen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mbmax said:
Concerning the fact no games starts at all for you Lupigen, just to be clear, you have done a full format of your microSD under panasonic formatter; full erase ON and adjust ON ? This operation takes a couple of minutes to perform.
Also you are using freshly unzipped clean roms on your microSD ?
Your microSD is a 8GB C08G Japan like mine ?

And last to the audience. This kernel needs to have the USERCHEAT.DAT inside the /EZ5shell folder now.
As a quick note, I'm using the 1GB Toshiba microSD as the testbed for this 2.0 alpha; It's much faster to format and I don't need much space to test things out.
1. Yes, I've tried a variety of formatting experiments, including enabling both formatting options in the Panasonic formatter (Though I have deduced from past experience that enabling such options are only useful in the most extreme of SD problems; the quick format tends to do the trick most of the time)
2. Yes, I'm testing out three clean, untrimmed games after every format. Two are relatively recent, and one is an older title.
3. It seems like a dead-end at this point to pursue the card's make/brand theory. The same problem pops up on my two cards, one of which is a Toshiba 1GB SD-C01G Japan, the most recommended microSD card for flash cart owners before the days of SDHC. The same problem also occurs on the other user's SanDisk cards; though the older ones were not generally recommended for FC use, it seems odd that we are experiencing the same problem when our microSD cards are so drastically different.

As you can guess, even after fully formatting the 1GB card, I was still having the game-loading problem.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you read the report bug i have made on sosuke forum you can see at point 3 that i have also like you games that hangs at "Loading NDS File, Wating", but not all my games. This is a bug of the patching routine.
Perhaps you might test other games to see if really this happen on all games.

Lupigen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I increased the testbed size from 3 to 13, and I added a few games that were previously mentioned to have different bugs (Brightness issues, in-game crashes, etc.), to see if I could at least recreate those bugs.

No dice, it still froze at the same spot in the Loading bar every time.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, well I had just assumed all the moonshell stuff would be there already, and the features they were slowly adding were the stuff related to games. Alright then.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The kernel 2.0 is based on Moonshell 2.0 like it's said. To run any multimedia file you will need like many other flashcart to run moonshell inside the kernel 2.0.
The team has named their kernel folder EZ5shell so moonshell 2.0 or 1.71 can be installed.

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope the next 2.0 kernel will work with my card... I have tested all 3 versions of the 2.0 kernel and none have worked with my EZ-Flash Vi and 8GBmicroSD... they all load but when I try to boot a game they freeze after creating the save file... I can't wait for a stable release.

rjsalt38

Trophies
XP
Country
Using ezflash vi with dsi and 4gb sandisk sdhc card........all games work and load

ezfash vi updated with latest F/W

only problems im having is running moonshell (any version ) and sakura ? any ideas ...........

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)