EZ5 kernel 1.86f and 3 in 1 plus launch date

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Dec 12, 2008.

Dec 12, 2008
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    EZ5 kernel 1.86f and 3 in 1 plus launch date
    Minor update
    First the new EZ5 3 in 1 model dubbed the 3 in 1 plus is to be launched next week, old tools may not work properly but there was an update to the source code nearly two weeks ago for all the toolmakers out there. The addition is 512Mbit (64 Megabytes) of NOR space as opposed to 256, the PSRAM is still 128Mbit and the save ram is still the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] GBAtemp news post of source code

In other news kernel 1.86f (1.86 is the current stable line, 1.90 is the beta) has been released. It features an updated resetsp.bin now up to 3157- Petz Rescue Ocean Patrol (USA) and fixes soft reset for 3156 - Monster Lab (USA). As well as this there are game fixes for the recent Castlevania release and 3151 - Chocobo to Mahou (Japan).

[​IMG]

[​IMG] EZFlash.cn thread (Chinese)
    [​IMG] EZFlash US forums thread
    [​IMG] GBAtemp download

Finally a question to the readers, it has been six months since the EZ5 plus was reviewed during which time there have been many updates and a few changes in the world of flash carts. Is there any call for a "EZ5 plus - six months on" update?

2. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Pitty they didn't upgrade the PSRAM to 256Mbit.

I also do hope the will deliver a menu program for the 3in1, this way multiple gba roms on it can be easy selected with the menu on the DS
    I also hope for a GBA sized 3in1 with the new options.

3. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Wow, nice to see they're still working on GBA support.

4. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You mean that the ez-5 after 6 months is still a great purchase [​IMG]

5. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    From what I have seen there have been updates nearly once a week usually fixing games (looking at the likes of the last couple of square enix releases) faster than any other team, this also goes for the old EZ4 (and by extension the even older ones).

The main gripes from my review have now been sorted (audio skipping while games selecting sorted a while back), several customisation tools available for the UI, 3 in 1 support now top notch, rts added*, ingame text added*, slowdown not added but you can still use DSATM).
    Cheats are now available is simple download from GBAtemp (although that is a GBAtemp thing rather than a flash cart thing I guess).
    DLDI has been well optimised for both SDHC and SD (granted it was cory1492 and ps2aich although the team did release the source)

*granted they are not the best implementations when compared to the others and are still effectively "beta" functions.

edit: it appears I just did it anyway.

6. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    short answer: no

there arent many GBA games that need that much space and the ones that do can be played in other iterations on the ds.

7. Saylient_Dreams

Member Saylient_Dreams GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Short answer: no
    Opinion: I've owned an EzV for a while, longer than 2 years, probably about a year after it launched I bought one, not sure how long ago was that, but sure it has had many updates, but I don't think it's very stable yet. Also didn't the team promise a new kernel without Moonshell? I know 1.90 beta is floating around, but I think that still has Moonshell in it. Probably when a stable 1.90 is out, that's when the review should take place, because the review was done with I beleive a 1.8x kernel. As for game fix updates, I loved it when EzTeam barely updated, because it didn't have to, all the games worked, wish 1.41 just had auto save type detect. Now it seems like you have to have them update in order to get some games even to work with cheats off. But yeah... lol.

8. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most games still work Saylient_Dreams and I agree, I was disappointed when they went for the new method of saving (the savelist was an awesome idea: why mess around patching if you do not have to).

As for the "some games" I think you will find that is most carts (looking at the square enix titles I assume).
    Kernel sans moonshell; there was a lot of discussion but I do not know what came of it.

On the other hand 1.90 stable or beyond sounds good, it will give me time to finish other things off without having to worry about this.

@SkankyYankee I was not proposing a review of the 3 in 1 plus but the updated version of the EZ5 plus review. As far as I know this 3 in 1 plus business was brought on by the old 256 NOR chips being hard to source nowadays.
    Regarding the same PSRAM I was saying on IRC though that after the EZ4 deluxe going to 128Mbit PSRAM seemed like a backwards step, then again it was designed to be cheap and cheerful and very few 256 Mbit games of note exist so I can understand it.

Finally it seems I am out of touch with the flash cart world, it seems now carts are more or less fire and forget (and looking at the prices I can see why). There was no way to do this in the GBA era (my EZ2 is still pristine).

edit: @vEGA-rJ rts is for the DS, no GBA at this time.

9. vEGA-rJ

Newcomer vEGA-rJ Member

Italy
    One question, this flashcard supports RTS on NDS games or in GBA games?