OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EZ4 Lite & WIFI - Solved!

Let me start with I was very pleased with the ez4l untill i discovered its dark secret. It seems as though this cart lacks the ability to play on nintendo wifi, for pretty much every game. (unless some one can prove to me otherwise) here is what I have tested.

HARDWARE

I have a japanese ds lite (white), flashed with flashme v7, I have a M3 mini sd adapter w/2 gig mini sd (sandisk), I also have the EZflash 4 lite w/ 1 gig micro sd (sandisk)

All devices are loaded with the latest firmware, as of the writing of this post.

ezloader 1.67
ezclient 07/10 (beta 3)

ROMS TESTED

0168 - Mario Kart DS (USA)(SCZ)(D47555BE)
0366 - Tetris DS (USA)(WRG)(377536D4)
0367 - Metroid Prime Hunters (USA)(WRG)(7FE4554A)

All loaded to the cart with the latest EZ4 client. All the roms work well as far as single player, playability goes. It turns ugly when you try to play online. Every rom will error out with ERROR: 20109, which I have found to mean it thinks your online name is blank. (which its not, this was checked.) And in the case of Tetris, once it gives you this error and you click next the rom will freeze.

All of the above roms were tested on the same unit, with the M3 adapter and work flawlessly, single and online.
I even went as far as to wipe out all of the NWC settings and start anew... When I did this i discovered another interesting tidbit. When you connect to NWC your DS is assigned a Connection ID its 4 sets of 4 numbers. 0000-0000-0000-0000 when you clear this out, and try to re-establish connection to NWC with the EZ4 lite, you will not be able to make a connection at all. I had to put my M3 back in, in order for it to reassign me a connection ID. (of cource all my friend codes are all now changed.. damnit...) Once I was assigned a new connection ID, I could successfully make a test connection to my wireless device, however allas I still got the same Error: 20109 when connecting with any game.

CONCLUSION

Knowing what I know now... I would not have purchased the EZ4 lite, appeartly no one is testing online play with this cart in any of the reviews..
frown.gif
Now, Don't get me wrong. I don't have 40 f these things laying around to test them all, so for those who have one, please try and test WFC and see if you can play any of the 6 or so WFC roms out. See if you get the same issue.. If you do get it to work, please post what version of the client software you are using, and what loader version.

SOLUTION

Turns out that the latest beta 3 of the client software is to blame. I was able to use the 05/24/06 version and repatch the wifi games and they all work now. Tetris will still lock up on you after you complete wifi or if you do not connect on the first try. They still need to fix this. Other than that things look good.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
there doesn't seem to be any other thread about the subject...
apparently you're the only one to report this problem (on GBAtemp)

BTW online wifi with my M3 works flawlessly.

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
there doesn't seem to be any other thread about the subject...
apparently you're the only one to report this problem (on GBAtemp)

BTW online wifi with my M3 works flawlessly.

Does it?
I was under the impression that the WFC system prevented you from playing with backed-up copies (roms). I thought that's what the RSA encryption was there for (maybe that's there to secure the communications and not to prevent piracy).
Or are there games that use online methods other than WFC?

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
You sure you have set a name in the DS options ? Also is the time and date set correctly ...may make a difference.

I'm sure it must work as I remember someone else compaining that Tetris crashes on the EZ4 when exiting wifi, I suggested they should set the wifi options in Mario Kart, to which he replied that it was working fine on-line and his options were set up already, just that it crashed when exiting wifi (after he finished playing)

zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You sure you have set a name in the DS options ? Also is the time and date set correctly ...may make a difference.

I'm sure it must work as I remember someone else compaining that Tetris crashes on the EZ4 when exiting wifi, I suggested they should set the wifi options in Mario Kart, to which he replied that it was working fine on-line and his options were set up already, just that it crashed when exiting wifi (after he finished playing)

time and date check, all are correct, user name is set, and after connecting with the M3 a connection ID is set. As I mentioned in the original post, If I put the M3 adapter in using the same games, wifi works fine, with the settings on the DS, if i then take the M3 out and put the EZ4 in, the wifi fails to connect. and crashes on tetris.. ? Thats why I am trying to see if someone has been able to make this work..

I have a feeling that the client or loader, is patching over a section of the rom reserved for something that has to do with WIFI. Maybe an older version of the client software will work? Need to hear from some with success.. Or I may have to part with the ez4 or wait to see if M3 lite comes out with a micro.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm strange, others definately have had it working I just checked through some threads at sosuke.

Would changing the name make any difference, maybe there is a conflict with some settings under you're present user name/id between the M3 and EZ 4. Have you tried a new account ?

Other than that try another client software, they are all available at sosuke.

CWar

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I was able to play online on my EZ4L just fine. I've played, Metroid, Tetris, Mario Kart. All of them run just fine using my router, and Nintendo Wi-fi USB connector. I haven't tested it with the latest loader though. I'll report back.

edit: All of them were able to connect to wi-fi just fine. So it could have been your settings.

edit: From the error code from nintendowifi.com states that,

QUOTE said:
Error Code: 20109

A connection cannot be established with this Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID.

What to do:

Create a new Nintendo WFC ID and try again. If the probelm persists, please call 1-800-255-3700 in the USA or Canada for more information.
http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersuppor...r=20109&x=0&y=0

zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was able to play online on my EZ4L just fine. I've played, Metroid, Tetris, Mario Kart. All of them run just fine using my router, and Nintendo Wi-fi USB connector. I haven't tested it with the latest loader though. I'll report back.

edit: All of them were able to connect to wi-fi just fine. So it could have been your settings.

edit: From the error code from nintendowifi.com states that,

QUOTE said:
Error Code: 20109

A connection cannot be established with this Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID.

What to do:

Create a new Nintendo WFC ID and try again. If the probelm persists, please call 1-800-255-3700 in the USA or Canada for more information.
http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersuppor...r=20109&x=0&y=0

Ok, so i get it that you say you loaded with the lates loader and all worked. How about the client piece... When you install your roms it patches them as it installs. What version of the client piece was the roms you tested loaded with?

I have tried redoing my nintendo wifi settings. it did nothing.. also have tried at 2 different "hot spots" work and home. same results. I may see if your willing to pop your cart open look to see if there is a revision number on the board. Could just be a bad batch? If so maybe they will work out and exchange..

thanks for the reply..

zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm strange, others definately have had it working I just checked through some threads at sosuke.

Would changing the name make any difference, maybe there is a conflict with some settings under you're present user name/id between the M3 and EZ 4. Have you tried a new account ?

Other than that try another client software, they are all available at sosuke.

yes new account, and created a clean save file.. still nothing..
frown.gif

zragnarok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a superkey and EZ4-Lite.. i have been playing a bunch of WFC games with no problems

- Mario Kart
- Tetris
- Animal Crossing
- Metroid Hunters

:shrugs:

you probably just got a lemon... it happens

zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a superkey and EZ4-Lite.. i have been playing a bunch of WFC games with no problems

- Mario Kart
- Tetris
- Animal Crossing
- Metroid Hunters

Guys thanks for the positive posts however inorder for me to figure out the reason mine doesnt work I need to know the details of the ones who do... what version of the patcher/client/loader are you using?

zragnarok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a superkey and EZ4-Lite.. i have been playing a bunch of WFC games with no problems

- Mario Kart
- Tetris
- Animal Crossing
- Metroid Hunters

Guys thanks for the positive posts however inorder for me to figure out the reason mine doesnt work I need to know the details of the ones who do... what version of the patcher/client/loader are you using?

i have used every version of both the loader and client between client v1.20 and 1.67.. works fine

CWar

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It appears to be the Client. Since my Bleach DS was uploaded using the older client, it was able to connect. Upon using the new one, I got the same error as you. So we can only hope for EZ to fix this.

edit: Using Mario Kart DS is the same thing. But shit, it seems that I my old save wouldn't load. WTF? Even using the old patched Mario Kart.

edit: Nevermind, forgot to clear out the SRAM. Had me there for a sec. So for now, it's better to just use the old Client.

zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It appears to be the Client. Since my Bleach DS was uploaded using the older client, it was able to connect. Upon using the new one, I got the same error as you. So we can only hope for EZ to fix this.

edit: Using Mario Kart DS is the same thing. But shit, it seems that I my old save wouldn't load. WTF? Even using the old patched Mario Kart.

edit: Nevermind, forgot to clear out the SRAM. Had me there for a sec. So for now, it's better to just use the old Client.

whats the version # of the old client you were using?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ hello.