EZ3 2Gb thoughts and perspective

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by akbar_k, Aug 7, 2007.

Aug 7, 2007
  1. akbar_k
    OP

Newcomer akbar_k Newbie

Well I've had the EZ3 for over 6 months now and I have a few dissapointments after spending about 100$ USD on it.

Firstly, a few games share the same type of graphical glitch, namely sprites that flash on and off at high speed, making some games, like Advance Wars, simply unplayable as the text boxes blink fast and give me a headache. Other games like Metroid Fusion, only display this glitch a little making the game still quite playable, in this game when you are restarting from the savepoint, so you see a little glitch but then you can carry on normally. Also see this artifact/glitch in Kirby at the main level screen over the level doors, but thats about it.

Apart from that glitch, I was happily playing Kirby Amazing Mirror on and off for a few months now, but now the game just freezes up randomly with glitchy sound and stuttering after a few minutes of restoring my save game. I have tried formatting the card, only copying this game over, re-copying my save game, and then starting the game again, whereupon the same freezing up and stuttering.

Now I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do like to relax and play some games. My biggest reason for buying this cart was because so many games look good but turn out to be crap (to me). For example I was really wanting Astro Boy, but I just don't like it. Same with Gunstar Heroes.

The only games I play are Metroid Fusion and Kirby Amazing Mirror, and unfortunately the latter is just unplayable. I guess I'll find a used cart and buy it on ebay.

So was the EZ3 worth 100$? Depends really.

I used the EZ3 Manager 2.22 and have the EZ3 2Gb from Jandaman.

A lot of the problems I encountered made me enjoy gaming less. Too bad its so hard to tell what games youre going to like before you buy em. I gotta say I felt a lot of [​IMG] from this experience, but also a lot of [​IMG] when playing Kirby Amazing Mirror. Guess I gotta restart it now after I buy the used cart from ebay.

2. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i have an 1Gb and an 8Gb and i definitely don't have any of these graphical glitches your speaking of? i honestly can't think of any game that doesn't run perfectly. I have both gba kirbys, and both advance wars on my ez3 8Gb right now, and they both run awesome.

I don't know what to tell you except that you either did something wrong, or you have a bad cart. if its bad - jandaman is good for exchanges.

3. akbar_k
    OP

Newcomer akbar_k Newbie

Well after reading your response I decided to give it another go. So I copied Advance Wars and Kirby Amazing Mirror to the NOR portion of the card, the 256Mb portion, and they work fine -- no glitches! Is the correct way of using the card, and if so, what is the 2 Gb portion I also have used for? Maybe just for the games that don't screw up on this portion?

Also, after formatting both portions of the card, the game still recognizes exactl where I am in the game, I thought this was what the saver directory was? So where is the save information kept then??? Thanks.

Even just using the 256Mb portion with 2-3 games on it will be alright if this is the only way I can use this card successfully.

Btw, I am using a GBA SP to play. Thanks.