Hardware EZ Omega DLDI file ?

• Thread starter pasc
  • Start date
  • Views 2,728
  • Replies 7
P

pasc

OP
So, After tinkering with my EZO for about 2 weeks and being absolutely amazed by its compatibility and speed (aside from Sonci Advance 1-3, where you'll have to manually set the save file to 128 k) I wondered this:

Where is the DLDI file for the EZ Omega ?
(I tried to use the EZ-IV one I already have, but as it turns out, they're incompatible)
(Also, Ez's official site doesn't have a contact form or similar things either as far as I could tell)

I thought about posting here aswell, but this seems to be a kind of... abandoned.

Extra-Question: Loading roms this fast (via Clean boot), *how exactly* does the EZO acheive this ? This is like comparing a bike to a Car in terms of old methods (nor,psram)

Thanks in advance for replies as always.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where is the DLDI file for the EZ Omega ?

EZ Omega dropped DS support, so presumably not DLDI for that reason.

Loading roms this fast (via Clean boot), *how exactly* does the EZO acheive this ?

Faster PSRAM, presumably. I do know that it seems a lot more microSD speed heavy than the EZ IV--even the fastest ones would be slow my slowest one was only maybe 50% the speed vs the EZ Omega where it's near instant on a fast microSD and almost EZ IV speeds on a slow microSD.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DLDI Interface supports GBA Mode/homebrew aswell...

I know FAST6191 mentioned something about something called SendSave for the GBA. And looking again (and as I remembered) there's also a test version of PocketNES with DLDI. Was there any other homebrew for the GBA that used DLDI? AFAIK, the main reason EZIV had DLDI support was as a stop-gap for use with Passme for DS mode. With that gone, there's virtually no reason to bother making a version for the EZ Omega.

Having said that, the source code of the omega-kernel is available if you want to make one.

Last edited by kuwanger,
P

pasc

OP
How can GBA Homebrew that need read write access to the card (be it gbamp, m3cf/sd or the ez cards) be "no reason" ?

*Imagines a - somewhat limited - file manager for gba*

To get this discussion any further:
Is there a way to contact the EZ-team to tell em about this *wish* ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.chishm.com/SendSave/index.html down the bottom of the page is the save program. I should also say the old wavelet based DSvideo program used ARM7 DLDI files (most were normally compiled for ARM9) which might also help things if you can track them down (it was one of many "I really should mirror those, damn a week/few days late" routines for me).

If that and a proof of concept build of pocketnes are the only choices for homebrew then it becomes questionable.

You could track down source code to various programs, figure out a toolchain to build it (everything from visualham to the official SDK stuff to armsdt to all manner of devkitpro versions of which many are gone or inaccessible at present will probably be needed), either make a compatibility layer type library to go between most likely GBFS ( https://pineight.com/gba/#gbfs ) or act to perform simple concatenation or rewrite enough to do it and then release it all.

If you want to do it then please do. The option for such things is not unwelcome at all. However I am not seeing a truly pressing need like we might have seen during the initial DLDI rollout however many years ago. While the inner coder concerned with legacy compatibility protests somewhat the practical purposes side of me would consider coming the other way and playing with the Omega source to generate GBFS, concatenate or otherwise "build" things for those programs that have user selected files like is already done for the various emulators it has built in. You could probably do your file management bit there as well, and if you do want to appease the legacy coder thing then port DLDI or some equivalent and make a GBA side builder for all those emulators, maybe an IPS patcher and release that.

Program wise from where I sit you have emulators, maybe bookreader, http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/musicplayer_advance_gba_mp3.htm (and possibly the GSM stuff made by the same guy that did GBFS if you can find it), possibly something with meteo video, maybe that build of PCEadvance originally made for the EZ3 to play with CD games.

Alternatively if you want to build a proof of concept DS loader capable of getting homebrew running many will thank you for returning us a nice way to dump DS games and saves (I still have my miniSD EZ4 set up for it but it is not trivial)..

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can GBA Homebrew that need read write access to the card (be it gbamp, m3cf/sd or the ez cards) be "no reason" ?

Because virtually no GBA home uses it? If you want to make DLDI for those limited examples, again, feel free to make your own. I'm not speaking as any representative of EZ Team, btw. I'm just conjecturing because honestly DLDI on the GBA seems nearly useless. I'd tend to use GBA Backup Tool on the DS, for example, instead of SendSave.

*Imagines a - somewhat limited - file manager for gba*

Good luck with that. If I were working on a filemanager for the gba I'd probably include various carts support in the binary without DLDI. DLDI was fundamentally created to try to future proof support for homebrew and flashcart support, chiefly on the DS but the GBA and DS are compatible enough I presume Chism made sure it worked for both (and again, presumably future proofing in case DLDI became popular on the GBA). Since GBA flash carts are virtually dead (the EZ Omega and Everdrive were rather big surprises), there's not a lot to future proof against.

As much as I appreciate the intention of DLDI, I think it was a misstep. In the long term it encourages closed source code that can't be adapted by others, which heavily interferes with preservation and use. So, people keep their miniSD EZ4 around to use some old programs until that eventually breaks. :) Further, eventually groups (like EZ Team) stop making DLDI (and drop DS support) because they decide its not worth their effort to support it. Thankfully EZ Team did release the source code to EZ Omega so it actually shouldn't be too trivial to implement--like Xilefian's project.

tl;dr - If you have your heart set on DLDI for EZ Omega, you're on your own to make it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1