EZ Flash V 3-in-1 VS. IV Lite Deluxe

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by fuzzbutter, Apr 9, 2008.

Apr 9, 2008
  1. fuzzbutter
    OP

Newcomer fuzzbutter Newbie

United States
    I feel bad posting this as I have asked similar question in other posts but never got an answer that made me feel confident on purchasing one or the other. I have a $50.00 credit to the store I am purchasing from so money doesn't matter. I am interested in smooth GBA play and support, easy saving, and extra ram for Opera browser etc. I already have a micro SD card so again, money doesn't matter. My Slot-1 card is a Cyclods Evolution. So, which is the better card, EZ Flash V 3-in-1 or IV Lite Deluxe? Has anyone here used both? Thank you so much!

2. fuzzbutter
    OP

Newcomer fuzzbutter Newbie

United States
    anyone have input on either item?

3. foob

Member foob GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Let me first state that the naming and models available on the EZ-Flash line confuses the hell out of me, to this day [​IMG] I'll also state that my time spent with the EZ-Flash V line is extremely limited.

I have the:
    1) EZ-Flash V Game Boy Advance-sized cartridge "3-in-1".
    2) EZ-Flash V regular 'slim' fit for the DS Lite.

Games are copied to the EZ-flash from your current Slot1 cartridge to the Slot2 EZ-Flash with this:
    http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rudolph/nds/3in1_ExpPack/

You slap Rudolph's 3in1 tool on your Slot-1 and run it just like any DS game you run on the cart. Most likely you have a microSD-based slot1 cart like the R4 or CycloDS, so you'll be putting it on the MicroSD.

On this Slot1 cart root directory create a folder called GBA and stick GBA roms in there.
    At least that's how I did it on my CycloDS cart. Not sure if it differs.

With Rudolph's tool, you copy games to the EZ-Flash Slot-2 cart using two methods: PSRAM or NOR.

I can't say I've used these carts more than a few hours, despite having them for a while.
    What completely sapped my enthusiasm was the fact that:

1) Opera doesn't resume from sleep properly with the EZ-flash V 3-in-1 (have Opera running, close the DS lid, open the lid again and see Opera disappear; the system power off. I am told this doesn't happen with a SuperCard Lite (and I assume other brands), which I have yet to test/buy. EZ-Flash issue apparently. Lost some enthusiasm in the process, so dunno when (or if) I'll bother to get to this. Opera on the DS is sorta nice, but I dunno how usable it will be for me in the real world.

2) After a very brief play with copying games to these EZ-Flash V devices, I got an error message about a SAVE file being corrupted. I am sure I can look this up and get over what I probably did wrong regarding PSRAM and/or NOR or something else, but to be honest it was at this point I just started using my regular Game Boys and their (non 3in1) carts.

I haven't tried the EZ-Flash IV Lite Deluxe. I have the regular EZ-Flash IV Game Boy Advance-sized cartridge (the one with MiniSD slot). I'm unsure if the one you are talking about is the same inside. It's nice that you can put a bunch of roms on the MiniSD memory card, but can't say much else about it at the moment. I'm impatient when it comes to game loads and... well, this thing starts up slower than a regular cart when you start the game, so I don't like that. Apparently great game compatibility if the internets are to be believed, but can't say I've tested that yet.

Sorry I coudn't be more help!

PS. Opera runs fine on the 3in1s, but is slow and limited (no cookies, slowish page loads, no flash content, etc).
    But that is down to the limitations of the DS hardware and the features they decided to include/exclude in this version of Opera. Apparently game compatibility on the EZ-Flash device is real good if the internets are to be believed, but I can't say I've tried more than one or two games on the thing before getting my error message about SAV file being corrupted or something.

Sorta related: My EZ-Flash V slim (non-GBA-sized, slim cartridge size) required a bit of a push down as well as 'in' to fit in. In other words, hold the DS upside down (you see the Slot1 and Slot2 labels on its underside). Try inserting the EZ-Flash V first by pushing it in the slot, then you notice it won't go in with the regular force, so I push down on the cartridge as well as slide it in and then it fits like a champ. For whatever reason, it doesn't fit with the regular "push in" with moderate force without also pushing down on it (as you look at it from the underside). If that makes sense. It also sticks out a teeny bit when slid in. If I've confused the hell out of you, forget I said it [​IMG]

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    foob: The 3in1 ExpPack Tool is outdated; you should be using GBA ExpLoader instead. You can get it from Rudolph's blog: http://kotei.blog.so-net.ne.jp/

The corrupt save message usually means that you didn't SRAM patch a game that uses a Flash or EEPROM save type. GBA ExpLoader handles SRAM patching automatically.

As for the EZ4 Lite Deluxe vs. 3-in-1 issue, either one is good. The only big differences in capabilities are the microSD slot (EZ4 has one, 3-in-1 doesn't) and the amount of memory in the cart (the 3-in-1 has 16 megs of RAM and 32 megs of NOR flash memory; the Lite Deluxe has 32 megs of RAM and 48 megs of NOR). The 3-in-1 is basically a stripped down version of the original EZ4.

Both are supported by GBA ExpLoader, but the EZ4 also has a built in menu/loader. You will need to save patch games with the EZ4 Client if you want to use the Lite Deluxe's built in loader. AFAIK you will have to use the built in loader if you want to keep the GBA roms on the EZ4's memory card.

Neither cart has a real time clock for the Pokemon/MegaMan Battle Network games.

You can migrate pokeymans from a 3-in-1 to a patched Diamond/Pearl rom on any slot 1 flashcart. AFAIK you cannot do this with the EZ4.

5. foob

Member foob GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Destructobot
    Ooh! Great, I will try it. These 3in1s have been sitting in a big cardboard box unloved. Thanks for the tip.

6. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    EZIV lite Deluxe.
    I have the miniSD version which is already great by itself. I imagine the Deluxe version would be better.