EZ-FLASH OMEGA kernel 1.06 and firmware 7 released

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by EZ-Flash2, Apr 15, 2019.

1. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    You get that if the contacts are dirty/not making good contacts. I'd try cleaning the contacts on the EZ Omega, game cart, and gba. If you're still having problems, perhaps the EZ Omega being a tight fit (mine definitely is) has caused the GBA contacts to bend a little?

2. Blasingame

Blasingame GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2009
    United States
    thanks for this suggestion, I'm going to try this out.

You don't suppose that having a botched kernel/firmware update did anything to the bios?

I guess to say if the EZflash is a tighter fit in the card slot then perhaps it has pushed the pins back a bit. Has there been any other reports on this? looking to know how peple have troubleshooted this.

3. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    The GBA Bios is in ROM. The Nintendo logo is stored in the header of every GBA ROM and then verified by the BIOS. That's why it being garbled is a good sign of bad contacts (or for homebrew, they never bothered to insert the logo for fear of running afoul of Nintendo's trademark*). I've not specifically heard of any reports of pins being pushed back. I'm just throwing that out there because I know I've had issue with my own EZ Omega being such a tight fit.

* This was settled a long time ago in a lawsuit against Sega. Basically, a company can't use a trademark presence (and inherently display) as a check in game hardware and then turn around and sue people for trademark violation for not getting permission to display said trademark. Still, the threat of a suit is always there, so I can see why people would be reluctant to include it.

Blasingame likes this.
  4. Blasingame

Feb 1, 2009
    United States
    That's a very interesting tidbit of information on the bios boot.

I did come to realize that I need to be more tender with the ezflash. I was reading that post about waiting 5 seconds after saving, and making sure not to cycle the power of the console too many times.

All part of the learning process ‍

@kuwanger thanks for the enlightment, hope to spread the source of knowledge to other users as well!

Last edited by Blasingame, Apr 24, 2019
  5. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    source of knowledge

Blasingame likes this.
  6. Blasingame

Feb 1, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for sharing, anyway we can get a list of helpful websites stickied in this board?

7. Sterophonick

Sterophonick GBAtemp Regular

Jul 17, 2018
    United States
    My Laptop XD
    Clean your cartridges

8. Archangel22

Archangel22 Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2018
    Australia
    Anyone able to confirm with the new update what the verdict is? Better battery life? As someone said GBC are buggy has that improved? Freeze issue better or still buggy? Didnt get a chance to get the bennvenn elcheappo as the site says its out of stock now :(

9. maniacnny

maniacnny Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2019
    Ukraine
    Its not freezing, gbc some games lugging, but i like its firmware.

10. Archangel22

Archangel22 Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2018
    Australia
    Ok that is good news, how about the battery life has it improved with the update or still the same pace? Also any reliable sources to purchase the carts to australia with shipping rates also? Wanted to get from ebay where they seem to be really cheap and most offer free shipping but the problem is I heard alot are fakes as IV or reform carts advertised as Omegas so its hard to tell if they legit or not. Even I wouldnt know how to distinguish the difference between these carts or what to look out for

11. t5b6de

t5b6de Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2018
    Germany
    Thank you very much!. i'll complete the definitions file of my Universal Skinning tool.

Is there an offset for the checkbox colors and the

i'll post that in the original thread.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i got a very similar problem with the first release of the ez flash omega.

the case was made pretty bad and the bga soldering of the fpga did the rest. a very few weeks after usage is starts with errors like
    Firmware Update V00 found, etc.

after i disaassambled the case is saw that the pcb was bent a little bit and the FPGA is going to lift off.

i was not able to repair it, so i bought new one about 2 weeks ago.
    ezflash made a better case, it is not that much strong in the gameboy.
    but that doensn't matter in my case. I made an own housing for the pcb from an original nintendo game. because the original case is not perfect at all.
    I cut out holes for the chips in the back from the case so there is no further mechanical force on the chips itself:
    IMG_20190509_145642. IMG_20190509_145651. IMG_20190509_145745.

the second one i hat i soldered it directly into my gba where the cart slot was defect. i used then another old game housing for holding an standard SD Card and used a Adapter with SD Slot and Micro SD Connector, so it can take default SD cards, too.

IMG_20190415_181529. IMG_20190415_181435. IMG_20190415_181516.

kind regards

Last edited by t5b6de, May 9, 2019