EZ Flash Omega - Error 4 - can I retrieve saves at all?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by rulingpolecat7, Oct 8, 2018.

1. rulingpolecat7
    OP

rulingpolecat7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    United States
    I literally just finished playing through Lyn's story in Fire Emblem - over 10 hours, never had any issues with playing any of my games and then I just turned it on a moment ago to test a game and it gave me Error 4. Thinking that a Scan and repair would fix it, I've done that and now SAVER just shows up as a single file.

Is there a way to retrieve or fix the save(s)?

Am I just entirely SOL? This is not okay and I'm pretty upset about the entire thing to be honest. If I can't trust this thing to not corrupt my saves for no obvious reason, then I'm not sure it's worth keeping.

2. rulingpolecat7
    OP

rulingpolecat7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    United States
    Well, out of my own stubbornness, I figured out how to recover corrupted saves (after running scan and repair through Windows BEFORE trying to save them - oops)!

1. Run a scan and repair through Windows, it moves things into a hidden folder and saves them as .CHK files. So, going to File > Change Folder and Search Options go to the "View" tab and then turn on "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

2. From there, download UnCHK.

3. Once you have it, make sure to use another device or emulator to create a new .SAV file for the game save you are trying to recover. Take note of the size of the save, and the size of the .CHK files - your save will be the same size. Also, check the newly created unchk.ini and look at the last line - so far I've only seen 4 digits, but if the number is something like 0000, it's probably not going to work. For Fire Emblem, it was set to 4147 or something and I was able to get my save back. (It uses these numbers to look for the header of the file in order to try and recover it.)

4. Now, take the NEW (empty, just created) .SAV and click and drag and drop it on unchk.exe - this gives unchk a "template" for the header of the file you're trying to recover.

5. Click and drag any of the .CHK files onto unchk.exe - it will automatically fill the folder information for unchk, and leave it as Hard Drive selected and hit "OK".

6. Your save should be restored! However, it will probably be saved as the .CHK file default name, but with a .SAV ending this time so make sure to rename it the same as your ROM and you should be all set!

I'm so happy right now...but I'll definitely be sure to back up my saves regularly from now own.

mitch200584 likes this.
  3. dominicn123

dominicn123 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2018
    United States
    hey man, i've just got a error 4 and had to deal with all the BS of figuring out what happened, but to recover my saves i followed your steps until the part about creating a sav file on an emulator, that's where things just get complicated and i can't understand. I've made a save of a zelda game on the emulator to check and compare sizes, it's only 8kb while all my saves are 32kb-128kb, no ini files or anything, just "file000X.CHK" files are in the hidden "found" folder on my sd card after scanning and repairing, please help me!