Hacking EZ Flash Omega Definitive - Works in a standard GBA but isn't recognized in a GBA consolizer

phantomapollyon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I don't even know why OMEGA works and DE doesn't.
Unless we have one of this GBA Consolizer. I bet the issue will be fixed in one hour after we touch it. So........

We hope we can find an owner of GBA Consolizer in China and he(she)is willing to lend it to us, just like the last time we solved EZ-FLASH Junior's Super Gameboy issue.

I was talking to the US vendor and they suggested perhaps you could reach to them to acquire a GBC setup so you could look into resolving it. [email protected]

Last edited by phantomapollyon,

phantomapollyon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
$160 is too expensive(does not including post fee and customs), I prefer to wait for one of the Chinese tycoons to buy a set and lend it to us for a few days, we are not willing to spend money to buy this thing. After all, we are just a small team in a developing country. Survival is the first priority.

Reactions: cearp

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
$160 is too expensive(does not including post fee and customs), I prefer to wait for one of the Chinese tycoons to buy a set and lend it to us for a few days, we are not willing to spend money to buy this thing. After all, we are just a small team in a developing country. Survival is the first priority.
The amount you charge for the DE, you should be doing this tbh.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The amount you charge for the DE, you should be doing this tbh.
The amount RESELLERS charge for the DE... Don't confuse EZ-Flash for the resellers.
Their profit margins are a lot smaller per device than you'd probably think. They continue to support the devices even after the initial sales start to die down (resellers buy in batches and each reseller sale doesn't affect what has already been paid, so unless there's a steady restock, there's only random batches).

It's easy to lump everything into one category, but things aren't that simple, and the devs still need to get paid for active work. So spending their money to support a niche product that was designed by somebody else who created the problem.

The EZ Flash devices are designed and tested in OEM environments, and that's their operational target. If you decide to mod your system with something and it introduces some instability, that honestly just seems unfair in my eyes to expect them to pay out of their own pocket to fix a problem somebody else introduced with their mod.

I don't own a consolizer but I've just looked at the installation and I think I know why it doesn't work...

upload_2021-5-23_11-50-44.png

The clk signal is being replaced entirely, I'm assuming this is because the original signal is 4.194 which produces 59.73hz refresh (not a clean 60hz, which would result in tearing on a 60hz screen)

This essentially means the GBA is running ever so slightly faster in all aspects, because they're replacing the clk to make the GBA output 60hz.

Again, this is an issue introduced by the consolizer kit and would also likely have the same result on the EZ Flash DE as those clk speed mods that allow people to play games at 1.75x speed etc. But that does mean it is indeed likely something they can patch with software opposed to my original thought of it being possibly power rail related.

*edit: I found an open sourced version of the consolizer that costs 1/3 of the price in parts. It seems to do the same method of replacing the clk opposed to just doing a small frame buffer (I believe like the LCD replacement kits do?)

But this github should be helpful to @EZ-Flash2 in potentially figuring out the problem

https://github.com/zwenergy/gbaHD

Last edited by DrunkenMonk,

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@DrunkenMonk
I suspected this to be the issue as well, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. But theres actually a toggle setting in the GBAConsolizer that enables you to change the clock speed back to the original stock frequency. And it turns out that this doesnt fix the issue he's having.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
If this negligible overclock makes the ODE stop working that would make me question the hardware design they programmed onto the FPGA. 1.75x overclock and doesn't work? Fair enough. But this overclock really is nothing that should make even flashcarts stop working.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@DrunkenMonk
I suspected this to be the issue as well, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. But theres actually a toggle setting in the GBAConsolizer that enables you to change the clock speed back to the original stock frequency. And it turns out that this doesnt fix the issue he's having.

The "stock" frequency in the gbaHD project is slightly off from stock too though, so I'd be hard pressed believing it's 100% true stock crystal speed. (it's a difference of something like .175 for their "stock" ((which is admittedly easier to math)) and .188 for gba "stock")
Is the DC-DC buck tweakable at all though? an increase to 3.7v to allow for some overhead in that department wouldn't be a terrible thing to try.

Those are really the only two differences.

@ghjfdtg overclocking can always introduce instabilities, no matter how "negligible" they may seem. The GBA itself begins to stop functioning entirely after a certain point too. It's not that simple... and V/HDL really just sucks :rofl2:.

The flash cart is clearly in a delicate balance of working under the environment it was developed in, it's a work in progress in that respect. Which is fine, and it's great that they recognize and fix certain use cases. I'm sure they're learning a lot about the GBA in the process :D.

There's also a similar (kinda) thing happened with the EZ Flash Jr, it initially didn't support the GBC CPU-A.

Last edited by DrunkenMonk,

shilljoe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tested if omega DE works with the gbaHD?

Now that the new batch of preorders of the consolizer are coming out this problem will prolly get asked again. If anyone has any ideas to test I can try them out. So far ive tested the omega DE with both modes and tried with 220uf caps instead of the regular 100uf ones. Also with and without the 60hz clock boost and DVI+ etc tried multiple scenarios.

Seems most people are coming to the conclusion that its a power draw issue. Iirc the stock clock on gba consolizer is supposed to match 100% to the original as to allow speedrunning, and not somewhere in the ballpark.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone tested if omega DE works with the gbaHD?

Now that the new batch of preorders of the consolizer are coming out this problem will prolly get asked again. If anyone has any ideas to test I can try them out. So far ive tested the omega DE with both modes and tried with 220uf caps instead of the regular 100uf ones. Also with and without the 60hz clock boost and DVI+ etc tried multiple scenarios.

Seems most people are coming to the conclusion that its a power draw issue. Iirc the stock clock on gba consolizer is supposed to match 100% to the original as to allow speedrunning, and not somewhere in the ballpark.
The current draw from the omega DE is substantially higher than any normal cart, and most other flashcarts. There are some people who have no issues using it in a consolized gba and others that won't work no matter what they try. My advice is to create a separate power supply board that can bypass the on-board power management of the GBA and supply the required power. You also realistically need to measure the voltage drop with everything connected together, it's likely that just increasing the voltage a tad would also just 'magically' alleviate issues.
Still haven't tried anything related to these consolized mods. Too niche and largely uninteresting (I have a gamecube with a GBP 🤷‍♂️)

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't think the current is the reason why the DE is unusable, as the OMEGA requires a higher starting current and is able to run instead.

More likely is the logic timing sequence, probably because this consolizer has made some changes to fit the HDMI output, 60fps and so on, resulting in some changes to the logic timing sequence.

As with the previous EUR AGS-101 issue, the logic timing sequence which different with other GBA console made OMEGA impossible to save.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It does seem pretty useless to speculate until proper knowledgable hardware testing can be done with the Consoliser.

Things that "seem" irrelevant can be the cause - ever try to play Blazin' Caravans in Crystal Chronicles? It only works if you don't have any cartridges in your GBAs. Even holding Start and Select doesn't help. Who knows? The problem here could be as bizarre as being caused by the wires used to make the Consoliser go.

Only proper testing will figure it out reliably.

kooliokool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanted to post here, I recently got the ODE so I have one of the newer models that was changed due to the chip shortage. Not sure how different it is electronically but the Rev.B Omega DE works for me on my consolizer.

Reactions: hippy dave

kooliokool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as a follow up to my previous post, I ordered a 2nd Omega DE since I have a variety of GBA consoles. This one is also the Rev.B Omega DE, and it also works in my consolizer.

phantomapollyon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as a follow up to my previous post, I ordered a 2nd Omega DE since I have a variety of GBA consoles. This one is also the Rev.B Omega DE, and it also works in my consolizer.
I appreciate the confirmation! I guess if I ever need to pick up another it may be compatible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome