EZ Flash Omega Definitive Edition - Rumble seems to trigger in-game reset

El_Syd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is a strange one. I have tested this on Drill Dozer and Pokemon Pinball - Ruby & Sapphire. Both are No-Intro ROM dumps (Pokemon Pinball has had this patch applied to it). The rumble feature works, but it also causes the game to reset. This is typically triggered by pressing any buttons which cause the rumble itself to activate, usually the L or R.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a strange one. I have tested this on Drill Dozer and Pokemon Pinball - Ruby & Sapphire. Both are No-Intro ROM dumps (Pokemon Pinball has had this patch applied to it). The rumble feature works, but it also causes the game to reset. This is typically triggered by pressing any buttons which cause the rumble itself to activate, usually the L or R.

Use a stock gba or a AGS-101 as your screen is pulling alot juice the the rumble triggers doing a reset

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Please analyze the problem from the perspective of power supply and modification craft.

1. Rumble drains power, The capacitors on the motherboard are aging and the voltage is unstable, leading to reset.
2. Modification craft cause poor contact, rumble cause instantaneous disconnection.
3. Use high quality batteries, such as black eneloop pro.

El_Syd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Please analyze the problem from the perspective of power supply and modification craft.

1. Rumble drains power, The capacitors on the motherboard are aging and the voltage is unstable, leading to reset.
2. Modification craft cause poor contact, rumble cause instantaneous disconnection.
3. Use high quality batteries, such as black eneloop pro.
1 and 2 may be difficult to troubleshoot at the moment. I didn't expect that I would need a soldering kit one day. When you say 'rumble cause instantaneous disconnection', that's disconnection from what?

As for 3, black Eneloop Pros are exactly what I use.

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm not quite sure if your backlit mod is installed by yourself, whether it has a brightness adjustment function, if so, you can try to reduce its brightness. I have a one here, if adjust the brightness to the maximum, the GBA power led can instant go red with a pair of fair used batteries.

Some flex cable or some connector installation craft will cause poor connection.

In China users group, there is a user have a self modded GBA, press R will cause whole GBA reset. until he reassemble the console again.

El_Syd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It is actually a pre-modded GBA with an AGS-101 screen with brightness control. The lowest brightness is what I use anyway to save on battery life. I did see a flex cable when I took the GBA apart out of curiosity. I think it connects the LCD screen to the motherboard. It seemed secure.

In my situation, pressing the L or R buttons doesn't cause any abnormal behaviour outside of these rumble games. I think that it's not the buttons themselves, but the rumble that causes the game to reset. I tested by simply enabling the rumble feature in Pokemon Pinball's options menu. When it is toggled, rumble is triggered and the game also resets.

Last edited by El_Syd,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is actually a pre-modded GBA with an AGS-101 screen with brightness control. The lowest brightness is what I use anyway to save on battery life. I did see a flex cable when I took the GBA apart out of curiosity. I think it connects the LCD screen to the motherboard. It seemed secure.

In my situation, pressing the L or R buttons doesn't cause any abnormal behaviour outside of these rumble games. I think that it's not the buttons themselves, but the rumble that causes the game to reset. I tested by simply enabling the rumble feature in Pokemon Pinball's options menu. When it is toggled, rumble is triggered and the game also resets.
Does it also happen with brand new alkalines? Alkalines have a higher voltage than NiMh cells when they are new.
If brand new alkalines solves it, you could consider a lipo pack such as https://retrosix.co.uk/CleanJuice-USB-C-Battery-Pack-Game-Boy-Advance-p195931214
Those are designed to provide the full 3V until the battery gets low.

Reactions: El_Syd

El_Syd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does it also happen with brand new alkalines? Alkalines have a higher voltage than NiMh cells when they are new.
If brand new alkalines solves it, you could consider a lipo pack such as https://retrosix.co.uk/CleanJuice-USB-C-Battery-Pack-Game-Boy-Advance-p195931214
Those are designed to provide the full 3V until the battery gets low.
It...doesn't happen with new alkalines. Very interesting. I've been checking the CleanJuice battery pack as well the RetroModding one. I'm assuming that they are about the same in terms of voltage? Guess I'll have to buy another shell as well.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It...doesn't happen with new alkalines. Very interesting. I've been checking the CleanJuice battery pack as well the RetroModding one. I'm assuming that they are about the same in terms of voltage? Guess I'll have to buy another shell as well.
Probably. Capacity should be similar too. Looks like RetroModding is sold out of the USB-C one, they're also quite overpriced compared to RetroSix.
You can make a hole using a drill bit, or buy a battery cover that already has the hole, it's up to you.
Strictly speaking, you don't need a hole in the battery cover, you can just take the battery cover off when you want to charge.

Reactions: El_Syd

El_Syd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I really wonder if this is just a matter of voltage. I tried using rechargeable lithium ion AAs that are rated for 1.5 volts and the same thing happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.