Hacking EZ Flash Omega breaks in random ways

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Got the EZ flash Omega today. It worked on my GBA for a few test title screens and one race of Mario Kart, but when I wiped down the screen with isopropyl and booted up Pokemon Sapphire to take a picture, it froze in the opening sequence. Now, it sometimes goes to a black screen immediately, sometimes has a glitchy boot screen and goes to black immediately, sometimes goes to white, sometimes boots up and starts a game but then the screen goes black and only the sound plays, and many other problems. It never works for more than 30 seconds, unless I'm just in the menu.

I've tried upgrading and downgrading the firmware, installing custom firmware. I tried cleaning the contacts, reconnecting the screen ribbon cables, the paper trick, different micro SD, formatting the SDs and on and on. I'm using a 64gb card with exfat, also used a 4gb Sandisk with fat32. I think the cartridge just might be trash.

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Sorry, but I don't see how this would have an impact on the booting process. 75% of the time, it shows the EZ Flash screen and goes to black immediately, no ROMs involved.

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Sorry, but I don't see how this would have an impact on the booting process. 75% of the time, it shows the EZ Flash screen and goes to black immediately, no ROMs involved.

Since you said you tried upgrading the firmware. what the interface showed up when you power up the console with R key pressed?

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Many times, there is no interface, but occasionally I can get an updating screen that shows the percent progress with white letters on a blue screen saying "EZ FLASH UPDATE MODE". Minutes ago, the seller advised I update the firmware to the version found at 545c dot com.

After a few attempts I was able to update it, and after a few more attempts I was able to boot the menu and load Final Fantasy Tactics, but when I pressed start, the screen went black with the sound still playing (same problem as before).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here is a video of the problem

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Many times, there is no interface, but occasionally I can get an updating screen that shows the percent progress with white letters on a blue screen saying "EZ FLASH UPDATE MODE". Minutes ago, the seller advised I update the firmware to the version found at 545c dot com.

After a few attempts I was able to update it, and after a few more attempts I was able to boot the menu and load Final Fantasy Tactics, but when I pressed start, the screen went black with the sound still playing (same problem as before).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here is a video of the problem

I can not watch the video because it is private.

I suggest you read the manual at first. http://www.ezflash.cn/omega-cn.html

I've probably seen your problem before, maybe you're using ROMs provided by Taobao sellers, most of which are patched.

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I followed the directions in the manual (again) to update with the files from the downloads website (again). I deleted everything and tried a new ROM from a new website. It has all the same problems as before.

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I got it from Aliexpress, not Taobao. I changed the video from private, sorry about that. Can you see it now?

I've watched your video and your problem should be power supply related.

With the backlit LCD screen requiring more current than the original LCD screen, plus the current required for the EZ-FLASH OMEGA to boot up, your screen may have been turned off due to insufficient power supply.

You could try pressing the A button a few times in a row after booting up the console with a black screen, maybe it will start the game with a black screen and then you can hear the music. If this is true, then it confirms my suspicions.

Solution: Try replacing the battery with a more fully charged one.

Last edited by EZ-Flash2,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I tried with new batteries and it has the same problem, but I have noticed the power light will flash red sometimes, so I wonder if there is resistance from the battery contacts or power switch. I'll try to clean them. Dimming the screen does not seem to help the problem.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried with new batteries and it has the same problem, but I have noticed the power light will flash red sometimes, so I wonder if there is resistance from the battery contacts or power switch. I'll try to clean them. Dimming the screen does not seem to help the problem.
what kind of screen mod is it? IPS or 101?

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah, most likely a power issue, then. Apparently, the v2 IPS kits are a lot more power hungry than older IPS kits or 101 kits. You should try the flashcards in an unmodded system and maybe try some good quality alkaline batteries in the IPS modded one.

Reactions: EZ-Flash2

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Well, I took apart the power switch to clean it out and the tiny metal piece inside was so corroded that it just disintegrated when I used IPA on it... wow. So now I can't test it until I get a lot of broken GBAs delivered. I guess I'll update when that happens...

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Update: It works in unmodded systems, and it doesn't work when I switch out the screen of one that worked before. Disappointed in the IPS V2 mod now. What's the point if I can't even use it?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Update: It works in unmodded systems, and it doesn't work when I switch out the screen of one that worked before. Disappointed in the IPS V2 mod now. What's the point if I can't even use it?
I have a feeling if you install a lipo battery kit, it will probably solve your problem thanks to the voltage regulator regulating the voltage to 3V, plus lipo batteries are much better suited to high drain so there will be less voltage sag anyway.
It is a simple drop in replacement for AAs, but you need a replacement battery cover that has a slot for the USB-C port for charging (may be included with the kit) or you can cut a hole into your existing one.

You can also try some non rechargeable lithium AAs, they are much better suited for high drain applications than regular alkalines but they are not cheap.

There is a third option, I would not recommend it for this because the lipo kits seem a much better option, but I'll mention it anyway. You can get 1.6V AA cells (they are basically just a lipo battery with a built in voltage regulator), I am not sure if the GBA would like the slightly higher voltage but it's close enough that it's probably fine. The battery life is not great though because so much of the space is taken up by the voltage regulator board which also has to regulate the charging voltage. And they need a special charger, but it's usually included.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I have a feeling if you install a lipo battery kit, it will probably solve your problem thanks to the voltage regulator regulating the voltage to 3V, plus lipo batteries are much better suited to high drain so there will be less voltage sag anyway.
It is a simple drop in replacement for AAs, but you need a replacement battery cover that has a slot for the USB-C port for charging (may be included with the kit) or you can cut a hole into your existing one.

You can also try some non rechargeable lithium AAs, they are much better suited for high drain applications than regular alkalines but they are not cheap.

There is a third option, I would not recommend it for this because the lipo kits seem a much better option, but I'll mention it anyway. You can get 1.6V AA cells (they are basically just a lipo battery with a built in voltage regulator), I am not sure if the GBA would like the slightly higher voltage but it's close enough that it's probably fine. The battery life is not great though because so much of the space is taken up by the voltage regulator board which also has to regulate the charging voltage. And they need a special charger, but it's usually included.

Thank you so much for this info, I may definitely end up trying some of these things. But I have also been doing some looking around and I've seen that people are having problems with knockoff IPS kits and EZ flash carts. Someone replaced their cable with a funnyplaying one and it worked, so their theory is the hardware can't handle it. I think I got a knockoff cable, it definitely wasn't funnyplaying brand. So I'm doing a bunch of mods so I ordered 5 funnyplaying screen kits. I'm going to change out the cable and see what happens. Still, if it works I will want to look at battery options because I hear these kits drain the batteries in just a few hours, so thanks again for your advice.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
If there is any beefier version available in the same form factor you can also try replacing the buck-boost converter on the GBA mainboard. That should fix it.

Whitelocke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
If there is any beefier version available in the same form factor you can also try replacing the buck-boost converter on the GBA mainboard. That should fix it.
I don't think it's actually a power issue. It runs fine, for a long time, with the same screen and a different cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr