Hardware EZ Flash IV with Pokemon Roms Hacks

seveth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this is not a right place to post my problem.
I just bought an EZ Flash IV for my Gameboy Advance SP, mostly for playing Pokemon Roms Hacks. I got some working but I have no luck with this Rom called: Pokemon Nameless FireRed. I can boot the game to tutorial screen but after that, the screen is black and thats it.

If anyone have the solution for this, im really appreciated.
Thank you for reading.

spruced

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried to recopy the rom to the flash drive? Perhaps the rom didn't patch properly? Have you tried loading the rom into NOR and running it that way?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the game work on an emulator? Just curious to see if you patched it correctly. If it does - my guess is the game was never developed to be played on actual hardware and it's an error associated with the patch/hack itself.

seveth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I just made a test on emulators. This rom can run on VBA but not on No$GBA. Some people said if it doesnt work in No$GBA, it means it wont work on Gameboy :(
Thank you everyone

Reactions: x65943

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I might have to look into this. Never seen a hack which did not work on hardware but did on standard emulators before for the GBA.

Reactions: seveth

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is probably something silly like a timing issue which VBA does not care about but the somewhat more accuracy focused no$gba (and possibly mgba as well) do care about, as opposed to all the really broken stuff like you get on the SNES where it was coded for a bug present in a specific emulator or the N64/gamecube where the texture replacements happen at emulator level.
Pokemon hackers do some odd things at times though and they seem to want to bring in assembly hacking quite early and not get the people doing it to understand perhaps as much as they should.

For any other game I would suspect the saves or the clocks but pokemon tends to be fairly up front about all this and tell you it is broken (or just white screen at boot). It could still be one but it would be odd.

I hope this does not become a trend as this really is my first time hearing this for the GBA and emulator specific hacks are seldom a good thing.

seveth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Actually I have found a way to bypass this problem. I used VBA to play through that and save the game. Then copy that save to EZ Flash and load it. Now the game is playable.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just made a test on emulators. This rom can run on VBA but not on No$GBA. Some people said if it doesnt work in No$GBA, it means it wont work on Gameboy :(
Thank you everyone
You might have luck finding a bootleg copy on cartridge. Try AliExpress or Wish, possibly even ebay. The more popular romhacks are all on there and play fine on actual hardware.

seveth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Actually I have found a way to bypass this problem. I used VBA to play through that and save the game. Then copy that save to EZ Flash and load it. Now the game is playable.
Nevermind, the game will crash in the very 1st battle against rival. Tested on Gameboy advance and No$GBA. Seem like this game won't run on actual hardware :(

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had problems with a few GBA Pokemon hacks. I get the feeling many are not extensively tested beyond the early parts of the game because troubles start deeper in. The quality seems better with GB(C) Pokemon hacks: Brown, Prism, and Green have all worked very well for me in emulators, on Everdrive GB, EZ Flash IV (goombacolor), and Revo K101+ (goombacolor). I can't decide what way is best to play old GB(C) games so I gotta have 'em all. :)

I wish gbahacks would show the checksum of the original rom and give you the patch like at romhacking.net. Looks like there's just the pre-patched rom there. For all we know somebody patched the wrong ROM or did other dumb things.

It does say ALPHA 1.02 there: http://gbahacks.blogspot.com/2017/03/nameless-firered-project.html

Maybe you should report the problems.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Curious.

It is not the first time a prebaked save had to be made for a game but it is the first time I have seen a basic hack warrant it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn