EZ-Flash IV v2.01 with Firewatch Skin (Release)

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Gyron, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    EZ-Flash IV v2.01 Kernel with Firewatch Skin, plus some additional patches and improvements (listed below).

The "Firewatch" Skin contains some elements from Draxoon's Skin and the Clearlooks Skin.

Release Notes:
    - Integrated on-the-fly Anti-Piracy patching for "Copy Protected" games (Thanks EZ Team).
    - Integrated on-the-fly SRAM patching for multiple "Save" types (added in v2.00, thanks EZ Team).
    - Increased maximum displayable files per folder from 77 to 334 (added in v1.78, thanks EZ Team).
    - Made multiple improvements to the Kernel text and help content.
    - Removed unnecessary space between file-size and unit prefix.
    - Renamed the "Save Mode" options to make them easier to understand (see "Help and Info" below).
    - Used improved font and various text from the Clearlooks Skin (Thanks Libertyernie).
    - Applied the "Reset-on-Boot" patch by Kuwanger (no need to Hold 'L' when booting troublesome games).
    - Fixed 8KB save files from displaying as "8,192" (Thanks Draxoon).
    - Removed unused files from the Kernel (this reduces the size to under 900KB).

Thanks to:
    Draxoon (Fixes and Generic Skin).
    Libertyernie (Clearlooks Skin).
    Kuwanger (Patches).
    EZ Team (Kernel).

To Flash to your EZ-Flash IV:
    Copy 'ezfla_up.bin' to the root of your SD card. Switch on the GBA whilst holding the 'R' trigger. When you see the update screen release 'R'. Wait until the process has completed. You should now see the Firewatch Desktop screen. Now power cycle your GBA.

Cheers
    Gyron.

Help and Info (also in the 'Help' section of the Kernel):
    Click Here ==>

Screenshots:
    firewatch1.jpg
    firewatch2.jpg
    firewatch3.jpg
    firewatch4.jpg
    firewatch5.jpg
    firewatch6.jpg
    firewatch7.jpg
    firewatch8.jpg
    firewatch9.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by Gyron, Jun 27, 2017

2. Evilengine

Evilengine GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Cool, thanks. Will try it out soon.

Is there maybe a way to change the background pictures?

3. Stremon

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    Oh yeah, thank you that's awesome !! :D

Gyron likes this.
  4. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    You can't just swap out the images within the file I posted, you have to compile the Kernel with the whole skin.

Cheers Stremon.
    I updated the BlueNight and Clearlooks Skins too:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-iv-v2-01-with-bluenight-skin-release.475911/

Stremon likes this.
  5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    @Gyron
    using this skin i like it, also kudos for the patches that it includes
    the text icon thing is leftovers from a past function right? i never understood what it did
    however i am not really a fan of the orange background inside the game list, it reminds me of something like windows desktop crash

- Removed unused files from the Kernel (this reduces the size to under 900KB).
    it is possible to know what was removed?

Gyron likes this.
  6. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Glad you like the skin. The orange background in the File Browser, (Options menu aside) I used in keeping with the orangey theme of the skin.
    The text icon is for a now redundant bookmark feature for text (.txt) documents on the EZ IV.
    The 'removed unused files' was to do with needless unused skin related stuff.

Last edited by Gyron, Jul 9, 2017
  7. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    Belgium
    Does this work on the original released ez flash iv? And do I need to do extra stuff before flashing???

8. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Yes it work's and u will need a SDHC card after updating

Gyron likes this.
  9. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    It works fine on the original EZ IV. Just follow the flashing instructions in the first post.

vree likes this.
  10. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    Belgium
    Just did exactly as you said. Now the firewatch theme pops up with an empty box and black ligns start to drop down untill it does nothing at all but show a black screen....

Tried everything it bricked my flashcard. Everytime the same. Empty box in front of firewatch background and black lines start to drop down untill complete black screen....

EDIT:

Here a video of it:

EDIT 2:

I even tried the official firmware from the official website same effect. It flashes boots and then black lines. Is my flashcard suddenly broken >_>

http://www.ezflash.cn/download/

EDIT 3:

THIS FIRMWARE DOES NOT WORK FOR THE FIRST GENERATION OF THESE FLASHCARDS WITH THE MINI SD!!!!

Reflashed it with the old firmware and it works again. 1.740

So yeah not compatible with Mini SD cards. And it's not like you can fit anything else in there....

So yeah people with the old hardware are out of luck.... Do not update it.

Last edited by vree, Jul 10, 2017
  11. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    Belgium
    My card uses mini SD's so how would that even fit...

12. Shadow#1

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    MiniSDHC

13. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    Belgium
    So with that it should work with my old card?

Also am I still limited to the 2gb max size on my card?

Also where to still find these it's all micro or normal sd now >_>

Last edited by vree, Jul 10, 2017
  14. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i have that one you speak off. the first mini SD. it works
    all you need is get a sd card that works

since 1.75 ( the update that bringed sdhc) it's a mess
    in my case, the ez iv will not update with an SDHC card, but after the update, that same SD card will not work.
    test a 8gb card, test a 1 or 2 gb card. try update on one or another, its a mess but your card is not bricked

you can get a MINI SD to MICRO SD adapter
    my ez iv now doesn't read my MINI sd 512 card, but does read a 2g micro sd transcend one

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

its compatible with mini sd ez iv, i have one. i am double stating this in a try to prevent "freaking out"

it was stated in varios threads, but the info is scattered\fragmented....
    after 1.75 (the sdhc update) the ez iv lost a compatibility with plenty of SD cards, you just have to try with different brands\different storages

you can get for example this adapter as solution, search on the places you can for micro to mini sd adapter. heres an example:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer...id=1499723737&sr=1-46&keywords=minisd+adapter

15. Shadow#1

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
  16. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    Belgium
    Just a few more questions:
    -so what max size sdhc can I uses now?
    -do I still need to use the windows program to add games or just drag and drop them on the sdhc?
    -how is it with your internal batteries of the ez flash? It still going strong?

I'm not sure about mine. Don't use it a lot but now refurbishing a ags 101 that's why I want to use it again.

17. Shadow#1

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    There is only 2 mSD of SDHC being 4GB and 32GB and it's auto patching on cart now as of v2.x fw

18. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    Belgium
    Yeah but what if I use a MINI SD to MICRO SD adapter like the other person said?

Also still is there a max sd size you can use since v2.X (even on the old card?)

19. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    Belgium
    Would this work:
    http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Adaptat...518964?hash=item3aa502ac34:g:cfwAAOSwzgRWxkmp

Or does it need to state sdhc on the convertor adapter?

PS: sry for all these questions but I'm doing too much stuff at the same time. And need to be sure about everything.
    Fixed my boktai games with new batteries. Bought a gba sps ags 101 where I'm going to put a new shell around.

So when everything is in order I need to be sure my flashcard also works and is up to date.

Last edited by vree, Jul 11, 2017
  20. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad
    1. Firmware 1.75+ are SDHC Compatible. As a result, unfortunately, compatibility with non SDHC Cards has decreased. The Black lines you see is a sign that the kernel can't read your SD card. So unfortunately the miniSD card you currently own is not compatible with kernel 1.75 and up.
    2. miniSD are only available in non-SDHC variants with sizes up to 2Gb.
    3. microSDHC-to-miniSD adapters are compatible, however make sure you get a quality one, I have a Kingston branded one at home that works fine.
    4. The Adapter does not need to state SDHC on it, the adapter is simply connecting the contact pads of the microSDHC to the contacts in the miniSD Slot. Important is the rating of your microSD
    5. SDHC is available up to 32Gb. Cards with a higher capacity (64Gb and up) are SDXC and might or might not work. Your safest bet is to get a card with 4, 8, 16 or 32Gb. (SD = up to 2Gb, SDHC = 4Gb - 32Gb, SDXC = 64Gb - 2Tb)

Last edited by Localhorst86, Jul 11, 2017
    vree likes this.