Hacking EZ-Flash IV v2.01 with Firewatch Skin (Release)

Gyron_Oldvic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EZ-Flash IV v2.01 Kernel with Firewatch Skin, plus some additional patches and improvements (listed below).

The "Firewatch" Skin contains some elements from Draxoon's Skin and the Clearlooks Skin.

Release Notes:
- Integrated on-the-fly Anti-Piracy patching for "Copy Protected" games (Thanks EZ Team).
- Integrated on-the-fly SRAM patching for multiple "Save" types (added in v2.00, thanks EZ Team).
- Increased maximum displayable files per folder from 77 to 334 (added in v1.78, thanks EZ Team).
- Made multiple improvements to the Kernel text and help content.
- Removed unnecessary space between file-size and unit prefix.
- Renamed the "Save Mode" options to make them easier to understand (see "Help and Info" below).
- Used improved font and various text from the Clearlooks Skin (Thanks Libertyernie).
- Applied the "Reset-on-Boot" patch by Kuwanger (no need to Hold 'L' when booting troublesome games).
- Fixed 8KB save files from displaying as "8,192" (Thanks Draxoon).
- Removed unused files from the Kernel (this reduces the size to under 900KB).

Thanks to:
Draxoon (Fixes and Generic Skin).
Libertyernie (Clearlooks Skin).
Kuwanger (Patches).
EZ Team (Kernel).

To Flash to your EZ-Flash IV:
Copy 'ezfla_up.bin' to the root of your SD card. Switch on the GBA whilst holding the 'R' trigger. When you see the update screen release 'R'. Wait until the process has completed. You should now see the Firewatch Desktop screen. Now power cycle your GBA.

Cheers
Gyron.

Help and Info (also in the 'Help' section of the Kernel):
Help and Info.
Important Note: The EZ IV (using Kernel v1.780 and newer) can display a maximum of 334 files per folder. The "334" number isn't an actual physical file limit, it's a displayable file limit when using the EZ IV's "File Browser". So if your game collection exceeds 334 games, then split them into multiple folders otherwise it will look like some of them are missing. The "Saver" directory may well contain more than 334 save files, but it doesn't really matter about this as you don't need to browse it via the EZ IV anyway, and all your saves will still work fine.

When you load a game for the first time in Kernel v2.010, you will notice an extended loading time. This is because the EZ IV is also analysing the game to determine the "Save" type. After the game has loaded, a patch file for that particular game is created on the memory card in a directory called "Patch". Subsequent loading times for any game which has undergone this initial analysis will be much quicker (as long as the patch file (.pat) remains on the memory card). Note: If you load any game that has previously been SRAM patched via a PC program, you may find the EZ IV skips the analysing process and just boots the game at full speed without creating a patch file (.pat) on the memory card.

---------------------------
Options:

Language:
Choose between English or Chinese.

Save Mode:
Optional - Saving is optional. The save file from the last played game is written to the memory card during boot (if the SRAM contents were altered ie. you saved or changed the options during a game), but you can skip this process by holding 'L' on bootup.
Note: Save skipping is only temporary, the EZ IV will continue to try and write the save on every boot until you load another game.
Note 2: If you accidentally hold 'L' on bootup (or from an in-game reset), inadvertently skipping the saving process, just switch off, then back on again to write the save.

Always - Will always write the save from the last played game (if there is a difference from the save file (.sav) already on the memory card, this is checked during boot). This setting is basically the same as "Optional" but without the ability to skip the save writing process.

PSRAM Memory:
PSRAM is a temporary memory, so a game will only be stored until the device is powered off or reset. Games sized 16MB (32MB for EZ IV deluxe) and under can be written to PSRAM, Just press 'A' on a highlighted game to write and load from PSRAM. If you try to write a game to PSRAM which is too large, you will get the message "PSRAM Mem too small". These larger games would need to be written to the NOR memory instead (see below).

NOR Memory:
NOR is a non-volatile (but erasable) memory which will allow games up to 32MB (48MB for EZ IV deluxe) to be semi-permanently written to the EZ-Flash IV. There are some other games that also need to be run from NOR (certain beta's and homebrew). Unlike PSRAM, any game written to the NOR memory will be retained even after powering off. To write a game to NOR, press 'select' on a highlighted game. You will be prompted with "Write to NOR? Y/N". Press 'A' to write, or 'B' to cancel. If you press 'A' the game will begin to write (this can take quite a while depending on the size of the rom). You will see the message "Erasing", then "Writing". When the game has been written, you will find it in the first screen of the "File Browser". Highlight it and press 'A' to play it (you will notice it instantly boots). Note: If you get the message "Not enough free space" when attempting to write to NOR, you will need to erase a game from NOR to free up some space before you can write another game. To erase a game from NOR, highlight the NOR game in first screen of the "File Browser", then press 'select'. You will be prompted with "Delete?". Press 'A' to delete (it takes under 10 seconds to remove a game from NOR), or 'B' to cancel. You can also format the NOR memory (this can be useful if you are having any issues with the NOR). Press 'start' in the first screen of the "File Browser". You will be prompted with "Format NOR Flash? Y/N". Press 'A' to format, or 'B' to cancel. If you choose to format, you will see the message "NOR Clr" and an ascending counter. Wait until the process has completed, and you will have a clean NOR memory.

Screenshots:
firewatch1.jpg

firewatch2.jpg

firewatch3.jpg

firewatch4.jpg

firewatch5.jpg

firewatch6.jpg

firewatch7.jpg

firewatch8.jpg

firewatch9.jpg

Attachments

• EZ-Flash IV v2.01 Firewatch.zip
    310.3 KB · Views: 460
Last edited by Gyron_Oldvic,

Gyron_Oldvic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Stremon

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
@Gyron
using this skin i like it, also kudos for the patches that it includes
the text icon thing is leftovers from a past function right? i never understood what it did
however i am not really a fan of the orange background inside the game list, it reminds me of something like windows desktop crash

it is possible to know what was removed?

Reactions: Gyron_Oldvic

Gyron_Oldvic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Gyron
using this skin i like it, also kudos for the patches that it includes
the text icon thing is leftovers from a past function right? i never understood what it did
however i am not really a fan of the orange background inside the game list, it reminds me of something like windows desktop crash

it is possible to know what was removed?
Glad you like the skin. The orange background in the File Browser, (Options menu aside) I used in keeping with the orangey theme of the skin.
The text icon is for a now redundant bookmark feature for text (.txt) documents on the EZ IV.
The 'removed unused files' was to do with needless unused skin related stuff.

Last edited by Gyron_Oldvic,

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does this work on the original released ez flash iv? And do I need to do extra stuff before flashing???

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just did exactly as you said. Now the firewatch theme pops up with an empty box and black ligns start to drop down untill it does nothing at all but show a black screen....

Tried everything it bricked my flashcard. Everytime the same. Empty box in front of firewatch background and black lines start to drop down untill complete black screen....

EDIT:

Here a video of it:

EDIT 2:

I even tried the official firmware from the official website same effect. It flashes boots and then black lines. Is my flashcard suddenly broken >_>

http://www.ezflash.cn/download/

EDIT 3:

THIS FIRMWARE DOES NOT WORK FOR THE FIRST GENERATION OF THESE FLASHCARDS WITH THE MINI SD!!!!

Reflashed it with the old firmware and it works again. 1.740

So yeah not compatible with Mini SD cards. And it's not like you can fit anything else in there....

So yeah people with the old hardware are out of luck.... Do not update it.

Last edited by vree,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
My card uses mini SD's so how would that even fit...
i have that one you speak off. the first mini SD. it works
all you need is get a sd card that works

since 1.75 ( the update that bringed sdhc) it's a mess
in my case, the ez iv will not update with an SDHC card, but after the update, that same SD card will not work.
test a 8gb card, test a 1 or 2 gb card. try update on one or another, its a mess but your card is not bricked

you can get a MINI SD to MICRO SD adapter
my ez iv now doesn't read my MINI sd 512 card, but does read a 2g micro sd transcend one

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So yeah not compatible with Mini SD cards. And it's not like you can fit anything else in there....
its compatible with mini sd ez iv, i have one. i am double stating this in a try to prevent "freaking out"

it was stated in varios threads, but the info is scattered\fragmented....
after 1.75 (the sdhc update) the ez iv lost a compatibility with plenty of SD cards, you just have to try with different brands\different storages

you can get for example this adapter as solution, search on the places you can for micro to mini sd adapter. heres an example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer...id=1499723737&sr=1-46&keywords=minisd+adapter

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a few more questions:
-so what max size sdhc can I uses now?
-do I still need to use the windows program to add games or just drag and drop them on the sdhc?
-how is it with your internal batteries of the ez flash? It still going strong?

I'm not sure about mine. Don't use it a lot but now refurbishing a ags 101 that's why I want to use it again.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a few more questions:
-so what max size sdhc can I uses now?
-do I still need to use the windows program to add games or just drag and drop them on the sdhc?
-how is it with your internal batteries of the ez flash? It still going strong?

I'm not sure about mine. Don't use it a lot but now refurbishing a ags 101 that's why I want to use it again.
There is only 2 mSD of SDHC being 4GB and 32GB and it's auto patching on cart now as of v2.x fw

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah but what if I use a MINI SD to MICRO SD adapter like the other person said?

Also still is there a max sd size you can use since v2.X (even on the old card?)

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would this work:
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Adaptat...518964?hash=item3aa502ac34:g:cfwAAOSwzgRWxkmp

Or does it need to state sdhc on the convertor adapter?

PS: sry for all these questions but I'm doing too much stuff at the same time. And need to be sure about everything.
Fixed my boktai games with new batteries. Bought a gba sps ags 101 where I'm going to put a new shell around.

So when everything is in order I need to be sure my flashcard also works and is up to date.

Last edited by vree,

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. Firmware 1.75+ are SDHC Compatible. As a result, unfortunately, compatibility with non SDHC Cards has decreased. The Black lines you see is a sign that the kernel can't read your SD card. So unfortunately the miniSD card you currently own is not compatible with kernel 1.75 and up.
2. miniSD are only available in non-SDHC variants with sizes up to 2Gb.
3. microSDHC-to-miniSD adapters are compatible, however make sure you get a quality one, I have a Kingston branded one at home that works fine.
4. The Adapter does not need to state SDHC on it, the adapter is simply connecting the contact pads of the microSDHC to the contacts in the miniSD Slot. Important is the rating of your microSD
5. SDHC is available up to 32Gb. Cards with a higher capacity (64Gb and up) are SDXC and might or might not work. Your safest bet is to get a card with 4, 8, 16 or 32Gb. (SD = up to 2Gb, SDHC = 4Gb - 32Gb, SDXC = 64Gb - 2Tb)

Last edited by Localhorst86,
Reactions: spruced and vree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu