EZ-Flash IV v1.78 with Firewatch Skin (v2) (Release)

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Gyron, May 12, 2017.

1. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    *Updated to 'Version 2' (just some minor cosmetic improvements).

EZ-Flash IV v1.78 Kernel with Firewatch Skin (v2), plus some additional patches and improvements (listed below).

The "Firewatch" Skin contains some elements from Draxoon's Skin and the Clearlooks Skin.

Release Notes:
    - Increased maximum displayable files per folder from 77 to 334 (Thanks EZ Team).
    - Made multiple improvements to the Kernel text and help content.
    - Removed unnecessary space between file-size and unit prefix.
    - Renamed the "Save Mode" options to make them easier to understand (see "Help and Info" below).
    - Used improved font and various text from the Clearlooks Skin (Thanks Libertyernie).
    - Applied the "Reset-on-Boot" patch by Kuwanger (no need to Hold 'L' when booting troublesome games).
    - Fixed 8KB save files from displaying as "8,192" (Thanks Draxoon).
    - Removed unused files from the Kernel (this reduces the size to under 900KB).

Thanks to:
    Draxoon (Fixes and Generic Skin).
    Libertyernie (Clearlooks Skin).
    Kuwanger (Patches).
    EZ Team (Kernel).

To Flash to your EZ-Flash IV:
    Copy 'ezfla_up.bin' to the root of your SD card. Switch on the GBA whilst holding the 'R' trigger. When you see the update screen release 'R'. Wait until the process has completed. You should now see the Firewatch Desktop screen. Now power cycle your GBA.

Cheers
    Gyron.

Help and Info (also in the 'Help' section of the Kernel):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Screenshots:
    firewatch1.jpg
    firewatch2.jpg
    firewatch3.jpg
    firewatch4.jpg
    firewatch5.jpg
    firewatch6.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by Gyron, May 19, 2017
  2. Peeteris

Peeteris Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    This looks so good, but in file browser blue with orange colors don't match up good.
    Could title and highlight be changed to yellow, creamy orange or some other color?

3. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    I can change the Title bar where it says 'File Browser' to another colour, but not the Highlighter bar, as this seems to be embedded in the kernel. On my ags-101 and 001 SP's the Title bar looks a matte turquoise colour (even though it looks like a sky blue on those screenshots). I made it this colour as I wanted it to more or less match the Highlighter bar, but be just slightly darker.

Last edited by Gyron, May 12, 2017
  4. JMSMORIARTY

JMSMORIARTY Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2016
    How did you create folders ? I don´t that much games on the SD, but could come handy sometime.

5. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    I just put the SD card in the PC and created them. It's a while back, but I think they list in 'date created' order rather than 'alphabetical' order in the EZ's File Browser.

Last edited by Gyron, May 12, 2017
  6. Peeteris

Peeteris Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    That's sad. Why would highlight color be unable to change. That makes no sense.
    Thanks for the answer.

7. Peeteris

Peeteris Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    Actually this skin looks better than BlueNight skin in person. That matte turquoise looks good with my glacier blue GBA.
    My favorite so far.

Maybe you are able to make ClearLooks skin with all these great fixes and additions? That skin is my absolute favorite.

Last edited by Peeteris, May 20, 2017
    Gyron likes this.
  8. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Thanks. Yeah, I think the turquoise looks fine. I did play around with some other colours, but thought the matte turquoise looked the best, especially considering the highlighter bar colour. The photo's above I took on my phone probably don't do the skin justice. I tried to make the skin both ags-001 and ags-101 friendly by finding the right balance of brightness, and I think it looks pretty good on both screens. I also noticed some older versions of my BlueNight Skin looked slightly dark on the ags-001, so I marginally brightened up some aspects of it, and the v1.77 (final) and v1.78 now look better on ags-001 screens.
    I had a play around with the symbols from the Clearlooks font which were available to use after patching it into the v1.78 Kernel. I made an outline box around the 'Skin name /details' and 'Help and Info' in the 'Release Notes' section. I also renamed 'Browse Media Card Files' to 'File Browser'. I've updated the original post if you want to re-download it. I haven't updated the release version number as it's only a couple of minor cosmetic changes. I've updated the BlueNight Skin too.

I've attached the v1.78 Kernel with Clearlooks Skin you requested above (albeit in tiny text that I almost didn't see :)), compiled with the improvements/patches/fixes from the BlueNight and Firewatch versions.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Gyron, May 18, 2017
    Peeteris and enarky like this.
  9. enarky

enarky owls?

Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    Yay, not the one requesting that, but Clearlooks is my favorite skin, too, so thanks a lot! :)

Gyron likes this.
  10. Peeteris

Peeteris Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    Thank you!
    It's so nice to have proper and updated Clearlooks skin. Changes made to Firewatch skin also are great enhancement touches.
    Only thing to fix in firewatch skin is to put something in that black space in Bookmarks section, even though it's not being used. This is absolutely not worth working hard or your time, but if this will be fixed, I can't thin of any other thing that's not right with this skin, it's perfect, I hadn't seen EZ-Flash IV firmware skin as perfect as this one; my inner pedant feels happy.

P.S. Now I have trouble choosing between Clearlooks and Firewatch. Seems like I'll jump between those two skins frequently.

Last edited by Peeteris, May 18, 2017
    Gyron likes this.
  11. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    Hello! and sorry to bother you. Can this kernel (uploaded file) be compiled with latest fixes, patches? It's has a minimalist theme with Nintendo logos and only the "modulo reset" was applied. Thanks in advanced!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    If you gave me the Skin itself I could do it for you, but not from the Kernel itself.

Thanks Peeteris. I never bothered with that black space before, as the 'Bookmarks' feature is redundant. I've decide to fix it though since you brought it up. If you download the 'Firewatch' and 'BlueNight' Skins again, you'll notice the background is complete, same as the 'Options' Menu. They are now updated to 'Version 2', as there has been around four cosmetic changes since I first posted them a week ago, so I decided it warranted a 'version update'. I don't think there's anything else to do with the 'BlueNight' and 'Firewatch' Skins now. Cheers.

Last edited by Gyron, May 19, 2017
    Peeteris likes this.
  13. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    Thanks for your answer! Sure, I'll extract the skin and will upload it here.

14. Stremon

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    Thank you man, you did a great work in your skin as well as combining all the custom patches, that's perfect :D

Gyron likes this.
  15. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cheers Stremon.

Stremon likes this.
  16. Peeteris

Peeteris Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    You are the beast. Wow. There's literary nothing else to improve. Thanks for your dedication.

Gyron likes this.
  17. Stremon

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    I want the version 2.01 with this skin so badly :wub:
    Can you make it possible? :bow:

Last edited by Stremon, Jun 21, 2017
    yadster, DaRk_ViVi and CaptainSodaPop like this.
  18. CaptainSodaPop

CaptainSodaPop Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2012
    Croatia
  19. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Yeah, no problem, I'll compile 'Firewatch' with the latest kernel and patches as soon as I get chance.

CaptainSodaPop and Stremon like this.
  20. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    How to add skin on latest version?