EZ-Flash IV v1.78 with BlueNight Skin (v2) (Release)

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Gyron, May 12, 2017.

1. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    *Updated to 'Version 2' (just some minor cosmetic improvements).

EZ-Flash IV v1.78 Kernel with BlueNight Skin (v2), plus some additional patches and improvements (listed below).

The 'BlueNight' Skin contains various elements from Draxoon's Skin, Clearlooks Skin, and the Official EZ Skin.

Release Notes:
    - Increased maximum displayable files per folder from 77 to 334 (Thanks EZ Team).
    - Made multiple improvements to the Kernel text and help content.
    - Removed unnecessary space between file-size and unit prefix.
    - Renamed the "Save Mode" options to make them easier to understand (see "Help and Info" below).
    - Used improved font and various text from the Clearlooks Skin (Thanks Libertyernie).
    - Applied the "Reset-on-Boot" patch by Kuwanger (no need to Hold 'L' when booting troublesome games).
    - Fixed 8KB save files from displaying as "8,192" (Thanks Draxoon).
    - Removed unused files from the Kernel (this reduces the size to under 900KB).

Thanks to:
    Draxoon (Patches and Generic Skin).
    Kuwanger (Patches).
    Libertyernie (Clearlooks Skin).
    EZ Team (Kernel and Official Skin).

To Flash to your EZ-Flash IV:
    Copy 'ezfla_up.bin' to the root of your SD card. Switch on the GBA whilst holding the 'R' trigger. When you see the update screen release 'R'. Wait until the process has completed. You should now see the BlueNight Desktop screen. Now power cycle your GBA.

Cheers
    Gyron.

Help and Info (also in the 'Help' section of the Kernel):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Screenshots:
    bluenight1.jpg
    bluenight2.jpg
    bluenight3.jpg
    bluenight4.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by Gyron, May 19, 2017
    shawn_, Cuelhu, zfreeman and 2 others like this.
  2. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    Nice! I'm going to try this out!

3. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    Hey! I really like the changes you made to the menu text... Everything makes a hell of a lot more sense now. And as nice as the theme is, I really love the old Cobalt theme since it matches my cobalt blue AGS-001 perfectly. Would you mind compiling a version of this skin (with the text changes and reset patch), but with the skin assets from Cobalt? I did it on my own back in the day for Kernel 1.75, but that was awhile ago and I've since forgotten where certain files have gone and stuff. I do still have the skin assets though (attached). I also really like how you have your games sorted... Pretty good file structure, dude! I never knew about the JungleTAC games until I saw this post either, haha. Bunch of very... odd games...

Attached Files:

4. Bonny

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Is this update only working with the "new" black EZ-Flash IV, or also with the older white one?

5. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    Can confirm it works with both! I've got it running on my older white model currently. They're pretty much the same thing, I believe, so there shouldn't really be any issues.

Bonny and Gyron like this.
  6. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cheers. Yeah, those Jungle TAC games I first discovered on my Dingoo a320. They were already installed when I bought it, and even though they used the native GBA emulator on the Dingoo, they had the extension '.jgc', and you couldn't just rename them either to .gba and use them on a GBA flashcart. Then somebody uploaded the GBA versions on a Chinese forum. Rolling Cube is my favorite (just like Cuboid on the PS3). It doesn't run perfect on original GBA hardware but it's still totally playable.

I've attached the v1.78 Kernel with Carbon Fibre Skin you requested, compiled with the improvements/patches/fixes from the BlueNight and Firewatch versions.

Attached Files:

tiduscrying likes this.
  7. Bonny

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Thanks for letting me know! Short question: Is the only difference between those to cards, that the black one does use microSD instead of miniSD? And of course, supports more than 2GB...

8. tiduscrying

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    I believe the black revision of the card just has the different card slot (like you said, mini SD to micro), but both of the models can use SD cards larger than 2GB actually! That feature came as a firmware update a little while back. I'm using a 4GB SD card on my white model, so I can definitely confirm that it is indeed a thing! I think they just made the black model as a sort of "reprint" of the cart, just because popularity and demand for it was pretty steady to justify it.

Dude, yeah, Rolling Cube is actually really fun! It is near identical to this one game I played as a kid called "Bloxorz" on some flash game website. I used to be super addicted to that one, haha. It's weird that it has so many different incarnations on other systems... I wonder what the game is actually based on? It seems like a Sokoban type situation where the style/puzzles is pretty much constantly duplicated, but is on different systems under different names and everything.

Also, hell yeah! Thank you so much for building the skin for me! It looks and is working great man! Thanks!

Gyron likes this.
  9. Cuelhu

Cuelhu GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver

May 19, 2010
    Brazil
    Fantasy Land
    Mine is a white miniSD version as well, and I'm using a 8GB micro SDHC with a miniSD adapter after the SDHC enabling update. Just upgrading from FAT16 to FAT32 was such a relief.

10. Bonny

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    OHH... more than 2 GB's are also possible with the white card? Wonderful! I'am still using an original 2GB miniSD card. Good to know!

11. LouAllet

LouAllet Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bacoor, Cavite
    thanks Gyron! i updated mine using the Carbon Fiber skin that you compiled for tiduscrying.. awesome as always.. cheers! :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A700YD using Tapatalk

Last edited by LouAllet, May 14, 2017
    Gyron and tiduscrying like this.
  12. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    @Gyron can u take a already compiled .bin update file and extract the theme from it?

13. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    There was a program called 'EZ4 skin extractor' by Suanyuan which could do this, but unfortunately I don't have it, and it seems to have disappeared into the internet ether.

14. Peeteris

Peeteris Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    Would be glad if someone can upload this program again.

15. Shadow#1

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I'm trying to find it

@Gyron can u take this skin and make a 1.78 with it plez idk if i used the color fix packed with it or not possible to make both?

Attached Files:

• yi.zip
      File size:
      1,012.3 KB
      Views:
    Peeteris likes this.
  16. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Okay, I compiled it with the v1.78 Kernel. The text in the 'File Browser' and 'Help' is pretty hard to read. I ran the colour fix prog through python, it ran fine and did it's patching job, but it destroyed the Kernel in the process. It looks like it was designed for older Kernels. So here is just the skin compiled with the v1.78 Kernel. It is very likely it's not how it's supposed to look.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Gyron, May 18, 2017
  17. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    EZ Flash just released a new 2.0 kernel that automatically patches ROMs.

Is there any way you can add your great skin to the new kernel?

18. migles
    This message by migles has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jun 8, 2017.
    Jun 8, 2017
  19. Shadow#1

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    @Gyron Can u make EZ Flash IV v2.0.0 with the yoshi's Island theme plez?

Last edited by Shadow#1, Jun 9, 2017
  20. Shadow#1

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    @Gyron Can u make EZ Flash IV v2.0.1 with the yoshi's Island theme plez?

21. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad

Attached Files: