EZ-Flash IV v1.77 with BlueNight Skin (Release)

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Gyron, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    *Updated to 'Final'*

Here is the EZ-Flash IV v1.77 Kernel with a new skin I made, plus some additional patches and improvements (listed below).

The 'BlueNight' Skin contains various elements from Draxoon's Skin, Clearlooks Skin, and the Official EZ Skin.

Release Notes:
    - Made multiple improvements to the Kernel text and help content.
    - Renamed the "Save Mode" options to make them easier to understand (see "Help and Info" below).
    - Applied the text and font fixes Draxoon did for the v1.76 Kernel, based on the Clearlooks Skin
    (Thanks Draxoon and Libertyernie).
    - Removed unnecessary space between file-size and unit prefix.
    - Applied the "Reset-on-Boot" patch by Kuwanger (no need to Hold 'L' when booting troublesome games).
    - Fixed 8KB save files from displaying as "8,192" (Thanks Draxoon).
    - Removed unused files from the Kernel (this reduces the size to under 900KB).

Thanks to:
    Draxoon (Patches and Generic Skin).
    Kuwanger (Patches).
    Libertyernie (Clearlooks Skin).
    EZ Team (Kernel and Official Skin).

To Flash to your EZ-Flash IV:
    Copy 'ezfla_up.bin' to the root of your SD card. Switch on the GBA whilst holding the 'R' trigger. When you see the update screen release 'R'. Wait until the process has completed. You should now see the BlueNight Desktop screen. Now power cycle your GBA.

Cheers
    Gyron.

Help and Info (also in the 'Help' section of the Kernel):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Pics are from an AGS-101 screen:
    bluenight1.jpg
    bluenight2.jpg
    bluenight3.jpg
    bluenight4.jpg
    bluenight5.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by Gyron, May 12, 2017
    Cuelhu, shawn_, migles and 4 others like this.
  2. LouAllet

LouAllet Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bacoor, Cavite
    hi there.. i'm currently using this kernel and all my games work with no issues at all.. but i wanted to replace the background images to another one.. is it possible to change them? any help is greatly appreciated.. and oh btw, thanks a bunch for this awesome EZFLASH IV kernel.. :)

3. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Glad you like the kernel LouAllet.
    With regards to changing the images, you can't just swap them out, but there are tools like the 'EZ4 Skinner' that when run will compile a new kernel with your images as long as you added them to the correct folder before compiling:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez4-skinner-the-starter-pack.389087/
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/002giym8a429hnu/EZ4skin-R9+(unofficial).zip
    The resulting kernel won't have all the additional patches eg. Kuwanger's ''Reset-on-Boot', as the original EZ kernel is used as a base, but you can add add this. If you don't want to mess with a hex editor, Localhorst86 posted an IPS patch on this thread:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-iv-1-77-white-screen-on-ssf2tr.439106/
    I've not tested it, but I've no doubt it works. Draxoon also made some IPS patches which are knocking about on here.
    If you have any trouble compiling your own kernel, just send me four 240x160 background images (Boot Screen, Main Menu, Options, and File Browser) and I'll compile you one with the additional fixes/patches.

4. LouAllet

LouAllet Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bacoor, Cavite
    thanks a bunch.. it sounds a little complicated but i'll sure give it a try.. will give you a message too if i mess up lol.. thanks again and have a great day ahead.. :)

EDIT: tough luck.. it's a bit too complicated for me.. haha.. will just wait on your possible future updates on this awesome kernel.. thanks! ^_^

Last edited by LouAllet, May 6, 2017
  5. Nephiel

Nephiel Artificer

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks for this!
    I'd like to try another skin, but I want to change text/selection colors as well.
    Can I ask you for the source / base toolkit with the rest of improvements? All I have is based on kernel 1.76...

6. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    I'm not at home at the moment so don't have access to my desktop machine, but you can use the 'EZ4skin R9' prog I linked to above to create your own personal v1.77 kernel. Even though it was made for v1.75, it works with v1.77. Use the official clean v1.77 kernel from the EZ team site. The font fixes will be auto applied in R9 (they weren't when I compiled as I used an older version, I used IPS patches). Obviously, any further modifications I made myself won't be included, but you can add stuff like the 'Reset-on-Boot' from the link above after compiling. You may also want to modify the help file in the gba\.shell folder.

7. Nephiel

Nephiel Artificer

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.

8. Potatozeng

Potatozeng Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2017
    United States
    HI! I'm trying to make some skin for my EZ4 using the skinner R9 you linked above, but i cannot run the program. It says "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing", and for the R8 version it is "MSVCR120D.dll is missing". Do I need to preinstall something to run the skinner?

9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i remember seing this code, i think it was related to .net framework, have you installed that?
    also, run in admin mode...

10. Potatozeng

Potatozeng Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2017
    United States
    I'm sure I have the latest .net framework but not some older ones. I'll try to install some, thanks!

11. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i found something, in the second thread a guy said he fixed the MS error by downloading the missing file and drop it in the folder
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez4-skinner-the-starter-pack.389087/
    if all fails i suggest to maybe try on virtual machine running XP, i don't have an idea about this release, but the ez stuff was made mainly for XP and it can be a pain in newer systems

12. Potatozeng

Potatozeng Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2017
    United States
    Oh! I saw his problem but I missed the solution. It solves my problem too. Thanks a lot for helping!!

13. LouAllet

LouAllet Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bacoor, Cavite
    Hey Gyron, I would just like to ask if you are planning to release a 1.78 version of your bluenight skin? Thanks! :)

14. Gyron
    OP

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    I couldn't find a way to edit the title of this thread, so I've posted the v1.78 Kernel with the BlueNight Skin in a new thread here:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-iv-v1-78-with-bluenight-skin-release.470404/

I've also compiled the v1.78 Kernel with a Firewatch Skin:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-iv-v1-78-with-firewatch-skin-release.470406/

On a separate note, I updated the Bluenight v1.77 in this thread with a couple of cosmetic changes (plus a correction in 'Help') I used in the v1.78 BlueNight and named it 'Final'.
    Cheers.

Last edited by Gyron, May 12, 2017
  15. LouAllet

LouAllet Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bacoor, Cavite
    Thanks Gyron! Headed over there now. ^_^