EZ Flash IV stops reading Micro SD (?)

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Cornelius_Bear, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Cornelius_Bear
    OP

Cornelius_Bear Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    United States
    Hi there, hoping someone can advise me on trouble with a new EZ Flash IV.

I just got a one of the newest EZ Flash IV carts, and it worked great for two days. Now, when I start it up, it does not load anything: I get the EZPDA splash screen, but no dialog boxes or menu. I have tried swapping in other Micro SD cards and reformatting (using various tools) the one that has been working so far, and nothing changes.

The only response I can elicit is that if I insert a 64GB Micro SD card, which is too big for the cart to read, it will actually load the menu, letting me access the file browser and settings, I can even run the game that's loaded into NOR. But of course the cart can't read the SD card. When I put in an SD card of permitted size, I get the cart's splash screen with no response. I have tried upgrading the cart's firmware, which gets a black screen - it's as if the cart can't actually read the SD card. But I don't know why this doesn't happen when there is a card of incompatible size inserted.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you! Is my cart busted?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I have had a bunch of microSD cards come a bit thinner than some older ones, quite often including the newer, smaller capacity and slower ones. What happens if you fold up a piece of paper and wedge it in with the microSD card?

3. Cornelius_Bear
    OP

Cornelius_Bear Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    United States
    Thanks! I've tried this a few different ways and haven't had any success. Part of what has me worried is that the very same microSD card was working just a few hours before. I took it out to add some files to it, put it back in, and then this started.

4. Cornelius_Bear
    OP

Cornelius_Bear Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    United States
    BREAKING UPDATE... I walked into a corner phone shop and bought a cheap 4GB ADATA brand microSD (this model of EZ-FLash IV is supposed to recognize 2GB-32GB). It will start up the system and load the file manager, but won't see any of the data on the card. When I select EZ-Disk, I see a blank folder; when I select that, I get the message "WARNING: Unkonwn operation" (sic).

It's impossible for me to tell what is going on, since different microSD cards get different responses, but it doesn't want to read any of them. :(

5. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    Have you tried putting ez_upd.bin on a card and try relishing the firmware?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice