Ez-Flash IV owner looking to upgrade to Slot-1 Card

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by sirlaggard, May 30, 2010.

1. sirlaggard
    OP

Newcomer sirlaggard Newbie

United States
    Hello, so after owning my Ez-Flash IV Lite for what can be described 'an assload of time', I am getting sick of its proprietary software to upload games, no SDHC, and zero percent support (last update on the sosuke board: 3rd April 2009! [​IMG])

So I am thinking it's about time to delve into the realm of the Slot-1! Main features I'm looking for (italicized is optional but wanted)

SDHC Support
    This shouldn't be too hard, seems like most modern Slot-1s these days can do SDHC

Works on both DS Lite and DSi
    Right now I have a DS Lite, but I'm looking to upgrade to a DSi XL in the future, so a card that works with my DS Lite now but is usable on a DSi later would be great

No Proprietary Software/Drag & Drop
    Again, seems like a given with nearly all Slot-1s on the market, but this is my main gripe about the Ez-Flash IV right now and I never want to deal with proprietary loaders ever again!

Well Supported & Updated/Able to Play New Releases
    Already there are a few games that my EZ-IV Lite can't play (Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, et al), on top of the last software update being over a year ago, so software & more importantly GAME support is a big factor for me

Real Time Saving
    I've never heard of this before, but now that I read about it I am really liking the sound of it for CERTAIN games (Fire Emblem, you conspicuous suspect you, with your permanent deaths) However, if the card doesn't support RTS, that's fine, I've been gaming without it for years but it sure does sound like a nice feature to have

GBA Support
    This WAS the main thing that held me back from upgrading to a Slot-1, but I find the only games I ever replay billions of times on the GBA are Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, so it's not a big deal if it's not available.. My Ez-Flash IV Lite can still fulfill that function anyway, useless as it is in pretty much all other areas now.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll edit in more later as I think of them.

The main cards I'm looking at right now are the Acekard 2i and Supercard DSTWO. Acekard looks like it has good support, but none of the fluff I want like RTS and GBA support. DSTWO has those, but it's so new so it's more expensive (not a big deal, but money is money) and people are reporting poor build quality and poorly developed features, so I'm hesitant on that one.

Okay, don't worry, this is almost done.. Just got two questions:

1. Will my EZ-IV Lite saves be compatible with either of those cards?
    It'd be nice if it were, since converting each and every save I have with one of those converters will get to be annoying.. or even worse, not compatible at all!

2. What's the best store to order from?
    Yes, that much overheard and overtly discussed question. I live in Hawaii if that matters, and I like things to get here fast (that one matters [​IMG] ) That being the case, which of these stores are recommended?: SimplyMods, Leetmod, ndscardstore, gamekool

That will be all, and my choices aren't dead set on just the Acekard 2i or Supercard DSTWO; I'm totally open to other cards that fulfill the above requirements, as long as the price is right, and the shipping is kicking( [​IMG] )!

2. coattails

Member coattails GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'm not 100% positive about saves being compatible with the Ak2i or the DSTWO, but as long as they are .sav they should work.

As an owner of both the Acekard2i and the DSTWO, I can safely say that I will never touch my Acekard again unless there is the unlikely situation that a game is not supported by the DSTWO but is supported by the AK2i.

While the Acekard is a phenomenal cart user-friendly cart for those looking for something that plays DS games, it really lacks in features in comparison to the DSTWO. Basically the only feature that it has over the DSTWO is Wi-Fi loader/cheat updating, which I have never used and will probably never find the need to (AKAIO hasn't updated its loaders for over 2 months now anyways). However, I do find it more user-friendly than the DSTWO, specifically the ability to list games by their 'Internal Names' and the ability to add a 'favourite' game shortcut to the root menu of your microSD.

The DSTWO is currently the commercial rom-playing flashcart with the most functionality and features. Even newer games like POP: The Forgotten Sands (which does not currently work with the Ak2i) work perfectly with this flash cart.

Save states are performed and loaded faster on this cart than any other, and it's surprising how useful the in-game menu can be when you want to check the time while playing a DS game. Although the GBA emulator for the DSTWO isn't perfect, it currently runs Fire Emblem and The Sacred Stones basically perfect with sound off, and it runs it with a slight frameskip with sound on. This trend generally applies to most GBA roms, and you can get basically perfect emulation with sound off.

The build quality of the DSTWO isn't the best though (the microSD slot is still miles better than the acekard). I've yet to have contact issues with my DSTWO like the ones I've had with my Acekard, but the DSTWO almost split into two when I took it out of its packaging since it's only held together by 1 screw. The cart is a bit thick.. and the only protection between the cart chips and the outside world is a small sticker. Some people have complained that it gets stuck in their DS slots, but I've had no problem with this happening and mine comes out just fine.

Lots of people have been complaining that a lot of the DSTWO's features are lacking... but I would rather underdeveloped features than non-existant features. The main features that people have been bitching about are e-book support, avi playback support, no current included snes emulator, and a lacking GBA emulator. I personally KNOW that all of these features will be fixed in the near future, specifically the first 3. GBA compatibility might be improved, but I doubt it will be able to play all games flawlessly without frameskip, ever.

Bottom-line: The DSTWO is a much better cart than the Acekard2i, although you could buy 2 Acekards for the price of 1 DSTWO.

Since you live in Hawaii, I don't think shipping from Hongkong would take that long so I would recommend buying your cart from either Gamekool ($34.50) or 0shippingzone ($37).
    PriceAngels currently has the cheapest price ($33), but nobody has confirmed that they sell English carts rather than Chinese carts like the two vendors above. Gamekool and 0SZ have really great customer service and they ship out almost immediately.

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    In a nutshell, it sounds like the cart you want is the Supercard DSTwo.

There are other Slot-1 solutions for DSi, that offer Real-time saving, but as far as I know none as quite as good. It also has the SDHC, simple installation, and compatibility you're clamouring for.

For GBA support you can choose to emulate on the DSi, or use your current Slot-2

Keep in mind that the DSTwo is still quite new, and has some kinks that need working out.

Aaaactually....if you think you can live without the real-time save, I would instead suggest an Acekard 2i.
    They are much much cheaper, and still have the SDHC, simple installation, compatibility and DSi support you want. It can also be used to boot your EZ Flash IV Lite into DS mode, or continue to use that for GBA games anyway.

4. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I personally would recommend he AK2i and Ez flash 3 in 1, but if you want a DSTWO go for it. I just have to mention that like stated above GBA emulation isn't perfect, but will be nice if you choose to upgrade to DSi (with no slot 2)

5. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    What I would is get an R4 from ShopTemp, it's only $6 and has excellent compatibility as it supports Wood R4.

Then once you get your DSi XL, get a DSTWO. The advantage of this is by then they should have ironed out any of the issues with the DWTWO, as it's still a new cart.

This would then mean for just an extra $6, you will have a a slot-1 cart for each console. Although the R4 only supports MicroSD cards, it shouldn't matter as you already have a MicroSD you can use with it. You can then get a nice big MicroSDHC card for you DSTWO.

6. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Make sure its a regular R4 so it can run wood. None of the R4 upgrades can run wood.

7. WaffleDee

Newcomer WaffleDee Advanced Member

Canada
    There wouldn't be much of a point spending extra money for an R4 (even if it's only $6) then buying a dstwo later. DSTWO can already do more things than R4 so...
    It also seems like he requires SDHC. Just my opinion though.

8. sirlaggard
    OP

Newcomer sirlaggard Newbie

United States
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback! After much consideration, I have decided to get the Supercard DSTWO ordered from SimplyMods! [​IMG] Will post first impressions and then a review once I get it.

9. gary2010

Member gary2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    im thinking of getin the scds2 shortly but hearing about the build quality i might wait to see if it improves. so i would of got the r4 for now its about 4 dollers on ndscardsale which is nothing its just the time waiting for it to arrive lol