Hacking EZ-Flash IV MiniSD?

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently Ordered an EZ4 from eachgame (the product page is mysteriously gone now...)
I Believe it takes a MiniSD, my main problem so far has been figuring out what would have the best read/write speeds, and if it's possible to use a micro->mini adapter since the speeds I've seen posted for MiniSDs are abyssmal. (Heard it's not recommended... but figured I'd ask)
Since the page is missing I'm probably going to wait until it at least says its shipped before buying a miniSD, but what have you had good experiences with?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a rule we suggest avoiding the adapters if you can as they have a long history of being terrible (no idea why as microSD to SD adapters tend to only fail when I step on them) and are the cause of almost every problem that is not a EZ4client software issue we see- carts not being detected properly, ROM images not appearing, saves not getting written, saves getting corrupted.....

As for speeds as far as GBA games are concerned everything is written to PSRAM or NOR (all NAND memory is too slow for running GBA ROMs from) both of which have slower write speeds than just about any miniSD or microSD read speed so that is OK. Just avoid getting an old 64 meg thing originally stuffed in a mobile phone* and you should be good.

*on US and UK amazon you can still find them but outside those mobile phone shops will often still have them for/in slightly older phones and are usually quite happy to let them go if you ask.

Reactions: 1 person

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I now have everything in my posession, I figured I'd post to let you (and anyone else who reads this) know how things went.
The EZ4 got here alright. While it was on its way here I figured I'd look for a miniSD from one of the companies that's been proven reliable for MicroSDs.
Initially I tried to get a Transcend TS2GSDM... but the seller I ordered from on amazon sent me a microSD instead. My fiancee decided at that point to get me one herself, so that if the amazon seller didn't refund me or replace the incorrect item, I'd have one anyway... So she nabbed me a 2GB ADATA MiniSD off eBay. (might be this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820211030 not sure, as the model number isn't on the card.)
The card from eBay got here sooner of course, but I did end up with both a transcend and an ADATA to test, a few days before my EZ4 actually arrived. I've got HDTune, so I figured I'd run some tests to see which card would probably be better...
Transcend:
Transcend%20MiniSD.png
ADATA:
adata%20MiniSD.png

So naturally, I figured the ADATA card would perform better than the Transcend card.
I was wrong.
For a few hours I've sat here, using a Wood Dumper slot2 r85 to test things... first I patched it with the latest DLDI patch included with DLDIrc... It didn't work on the ADATA, got to around 32MB and hung. I can only assume that means it couldn't write to the SD and was writing to the NOR instead... so I tried the older dldi patch... and it did essentially the same thing. Then I tried the "ezsd_alt.dldi" that's supposed to be for slower cards... and IT WORKED.. sort of. It got farther than 32MB (in fact it eventually (2-3hours later on a 64MB rom) said the dump was successful).
So I take out the miniSD and throw it in my computer... and the card's still blank... :wtf:
re-patch with the latest DLDI, throw the transcend card in my EZ4, and... it works. A lot faster than the NOR/fail dumps too. In less than 10 minutes the game was finished dumping, so I checked it out on the computer and the ROM's actually on the card this time. Awesome. The card I thought was worse is actually better for the EZ4.
Also interesting, the Transcend one came with an SD adapter that gets stuck in my laptop, so I have to use the SD adapter from the adata card with the transcend card... :rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: