DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, recently I bought an older EZ-Flash IV from eBay. The seller stated that the flashcart boots to a black screen right after the GBA bios, he also stated that it was working at one point but doesn't know what happened to it. Got the device on Saturday and looked at it, I totally spaced it on the type of SD card this specific model needed, which was a MiniSD by the way. So I went on eBay and actually found a legit 3in1 pack containing a MicroSD card adapter, MiniSD adapter, and a 2GB MicroSD still sealed in the packaging (since the EZ-Flash IV MiniSD models can only use up to 2GB last I checked). Today I got the SD pack and went to test it out, unfortunately I still got a black screen after the GBA bios. So I decided to try and update the flashcart to the latest 2.05 version (wasn't sure if this model was capable of using this firmware/kernel). Moving a little past the process, I got the bin file (which yes was named right and all) already on the SD card and was ready to update. I held R while booting up the device and it still was stuck on a black screen, at this point I was a little frustrated (only because I hate when I can't fix something) but at the same time I expected this to happen. So I did a little troubleshooting on the SD card format (which is FAT/FAT16, 2GB can't use FAT32 obviously), made sure nothing inside the cartridge was loose or broken in general (everything is solid on the PCB, no moving parts), I even made sure the bin file wasn't corrupted and what not. So my last option was to see if maybe the flashcart was just picky about the type of SD card I was using, even though this model only uses SD non-HC I decided to test a few SDHC cards anyways just to be safe. I used that brand new SanDisk 2GB that came with the adapters and had no luck, tested my other SanDisk 2GB SD card I had with no luck, I used an old Kingston SDHC 8GB (class 4) with no luck (I sorta expected that), finally I used a SanDisk 32GB and again no luck (again I expected that). I have literally no idea what is wrong with the flashcart, I really don't want to believe it's dead. I really don't like giving up on stuff like this at all, I love repairing stuff when I can, I bought this knowing the flashcart had this issue, I just didn't think it would be this bad knowing that most people that had black screens were able to fix their issues. Maybe you guys have some better input on what I should do, maybe you guys can spark some ideas/solutions to maybe bring this thing back to life again.

Here is an image of the flashcart with the new SD stuff I got:
EZ-_Flash_IV.jpg

Images of the PCB front and back:
EZ-_Flash_IV_PCB_Front.jpg

EZ-_Flash_IV_PCB_Back.jpg

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, at least some later versions of the EZ IV miniSD will always pop up the flashing menu if you hold R, even if there's no card in (and hence will blank the kernel). So, I'm rather suspicious if you get absolute nothing. I'd also clean the connectors on the GBA/NDS (whatever you're using) as well and try the paper under the PCB trick if you still get absolutely nothing since some of those contacts actually look a little worn. Of course none of that may help if somehow the boot flash was blanked (it really never should, but it's writable so anything is possible). Hard to verify that though.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, at least some later versions of the EZ IV miniSD will always pop up the flashing menu if you hold R, even if there's no card in (and hence will blank the kernel). So, I'm rather suspicious if you get absolute nothing. I'd also clean the connectors on the GBA/NDS (whatever you're using) as well and try the paper under the PCB trick if you still get absolutely nothing since some of those contacts actually look a little worn. Of course none of that may help if somehow the boot flash was blanked (it really never should, but it's writable so anything is possible). Hard to verify that though.
Well I made some sort of progress....I somehow got it stuck to say "DS Option Pack Inserted" (when inserted into a DS) when I screwed with the buttons while the cart was in my GBASP. From the looks of it you need Pass me to fix it which I don't have any device like that.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any solution to this odd issue I am in now? Apparently I need Passme for this which obviously isn't happening anytime soon. Is there homebrew on a flashcart I can use to do such thing?

JCR1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have an EZ flash 4 that works on first boot in gba SP, But if i test in other console, all time gives me black screen, i cleaned contacts in both, console and cart, same result, both ags 101 i wonder if is because a motherboard revision.

Last edited by JCR1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since...