EZ-Flash IV Menu in my GBA SP doesn't show all ".sav" fi

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Rigo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Rigo
    OP

Newcomer Rigo Newbie

Germany
    Hello,

Yesterday my EZ Flash IV, which I use withe my GBA, arrived. I've put al lot of Roms on it and for every Rom the EZ Client makes a .sav file.
    Now in the order " SAVER " - folder are 150 of these .sav files. When I scroll through the files and when I arrive to the 80st file I can't see the
    others. I can see only the icon, but there isn't a name and the filesize is 0. When I press the A button on one of these files there comes a popup
    which shows: " Unknown operation". Does anyone know or have this problem, too?

addition:

I've tried to put over 80 roms in one folder of the ez flash IV. There it is the same. I can see the first 78 files but not the others.

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    Doesn't matter how many games you got, your limited because there is only 1 save folder and you can only have 70 some files in it. anything above that is just an empty file or the game doesn't save like you just noticed.

3. Rigo
    OP

Newcomer Rigo Newbie

Germany
    oh that's good to know;)
    thank you for helping!!!

4. kuwanger

Member kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

What how_do_i_do_that says is incorrect. The EZ-Flash IV Menu is unable to display over ~80 files in a directory. This is most likely due to the Menu program allocating a fixed amount of RAM for sorting (50 byte filenames (49 characters + a null terminator) * 80 filenames == 4000 bytes) or some integer overflow in the menu display routine. In any case, actual saving doesn't do any sorting or menu displaying, so there is no real limit to the amount of files in a directory. You just can't view them through the EZ-Flash IV Menu. For saver files, for most people, that's a non-issue.

5. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    that would only be so true if your on a computer system, in this case it is a limit of the firmware on the EZ4.

6. kuwanger

Member kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

@how_do_i_do_that: Currently, in my saver directory, there exists 478 .sav files. Of those, 105 have unique hashes--ie, they have been written to successfully. The key point to note is that it is the *display* part of the EZ-Flash IV firmware that has problems with many files in a directory. The underlying fat library doesn't have such problems nor does the routine used to access the fat library for saving. The fat library/save routines *do* have other bugs (inability to properly create files, over allocation of clusters when a save file is a multiple of the cluster size, and probably other things). Such is cause to take cautions, like doing a chkdsk on the mini/micro-sd card from time to time. But, one can certainly have saves for more than 80 roms on an EZ-Flash IV.

7. Rigo
    OP

Newcomer Rigo Newbie

Germany
    Thank you kuwanger! Now I'm very happy, because I thought that now i can only put about 70 games om my flashcart...and i have a 2 gb sd...that would be wastet space:D
    I've tried it out and you are right!