Hacking EZ Flash IV - How to set up and use?

stlolth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nevermind, found the tutorial.
However, i only have an 8GB MicroSD card with MiniSD adapter. What's the maximum capacity card EZ Flash IV supports? I can't find an answer to this question.

Edit: Nevermind. Found that out too. It's FAT16 so max 4GB.

xyanide1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Adding to this topic, I've been digging around all over the place to find a well compatible GBA flashcart that's still being sold. I'm only planning to use it on GBA SP (and maybe a micro) so I narrowed down my options to the EZ-Flash IV Lite and NeoFlash 1Gbit.
10145375-ez-flash-4-iv-mini-sd__18715_std.jpg
neo1024_b2.jpg

The EZ-Flash IV seems the easiest in use (simply pop it in an SDreader and use the software right?) and with the largest storage, i'm just wondering how it works with savegames and realtimeclock.
*edit after reading around more*
Yeah nevermind, RTC isn't supported on anything you can buy nowadays. I'll also remember not to use micro->mini adapters I saw a few people talk about slowdown when using them.
I don't care about savestates or transplanting saves and all that hassle, just about playing the games with their own saves as intended but i'll find out about that later.

EZflash4 is the way to go i'd say, found instructions here http://www.sosuke.com/ezflash/wiki/index.p...ash_IV_Tutorial

I think you can keep this post here. Might be an idea to make a sticky about the EZflash4 with that link since there seem to be a lot of people coming in and asking about using carts on their GBA. It was pretty unclear to me as well what goes on inside these carts when I read about NOR memory in general.
Putting it bluntly the loader kernel makes for the miniSD access and flashes any selected game(s) to the cart's NOR from where you can properly play the game if it's big?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Having an adaptor doesn't cause slowdowns. It is the quality of the build of the adaptor that is in question. The majority of no-name adaptors do not have any quality control to weed out defective ones.

Being able to load and play via miniSD and considering it to be easier is not a question, it is an opinion.

Large GBA games are 32MB in size and are put in NOR automatically.

Some translation patched games end up being larger than 32MB in size, the EZ-Flash IV can ignore the size difference like any other pure NOR flashcart and load it anyways. Loaderless methods are normally restricted to the 32MB limit.

The NeoFlash is a pure NOR device, it requires drivers. The drivers will be 32bit ONLY, this will mean XP; you have a less of a chance with running it on Vista and Windows 7.

Nobody cares if you want to only use it for the GBA SP. Most people posting in the GBA section ONLY care to play the gba game only. That is why the DS section is seperate from the GBA section, you don't have to bring up crap about other features if you don't have to.

xyanide1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
About those adapters I didn't know that, i'll just be careful of DealXTreme ones I suppose. I'm running on XP32 so anything should be smooth sailing, thanks for further clarifying the difference between these.
Myeah not a question but opinion, I'd be willing to treat the ease-of-use of the EZF4 as a fact judging from your answers.
Thanks for the quick reply and always replying to any sort of questions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (cocks 12 gauge with virginity-maintaining intent) +1