EZ Flash IV firmware?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by GeekyGuy, Jul 10, 2009.

Jul 10, 2009

EZ Flash IV firmware? by GeekyGuy at 10:58 PM (7,553 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Hey guys. I Googled, but wasn't exactly certain about some of the things I found with regards to firmware for this cart. I just ordered an EZ Flash IV (GBA size) for use on my GBA SP, and I wanted to be sure I had whatever the last firmware they put out for it on there. Can someone direct me to a link to the firmware or official English site for this cart?

Thanks

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Firmware is known as ezfla_up.bin and I bundled the latest and greatest with all the client packs:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5234
    Links to the US forums and Chinese forums in the description there.

Keep it handy though as you will need it to change the skins although once you have loaded it on your card.

3. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Many thanks, man!

4. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    One more quick question, sorry:

With the CycloDS firmware, all I have to do is put the one file in the root directory of my microSD, but I noticed the archive file for the EZ firmware has loads of stuff in it. Do I just extract the whole thing to the root of my SD card, or is there a specific folder in the card that I need to place certain things in?

Thanks

5. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    You have to remember autopatching did not really exist in the GBA slot era but

Once you have updated the loader (hold R with ezfla_up.bin on the root of the card) the ezfla_up.bin does not need to be there unless you are changing a skin (in which case you will create a new one with the skinning apps and "update" again).
    This means the EZ4 ?SD card only needs a saver folder on the root of the card. Of course you can make others for homebrew or other roms or whatever you want.

Everything else in there is the PC side application for patching GBA and DS roms.
    In the homebrew folders I have the DLDI patch, dlditool for the PC, a DLDItool port for the DS (dldi.bin) so you can DLDI patch homebrew on the DS and DSbuild so you can add GBA headers to DS roms: homebrew needs to be either named .bin or .ds.gba and it is best to have have a GBA header if using the latter.

EZ4Client.exe is the main application for patching GBA and DS roms, press open and select your rom(s) and then press send, you can even leave files in zip or rar format if you wish.

The batch file and all the other exe files update the DS naming lists from ADVANsCEne (remember you can also name roms by typing a name in the box in the top left of the EZ4client app), the GBA one is more or less complete no the GBA is dead so I tend to leave it alone.

The other folders have translations, skins and other system files, the .sav files are for a select few games that need them (they are just games that have been started in an emulator to the point where a save is made).

6. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Ah, okay. It's quite a different beast than what I'm used to. I appreciate your help.

Now, you mentioned a save folder on the root of the SD. Do I need to create one, or does the firmware do that automatically once a game has been loaded up for the first time?

7. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would create one, to my knowledge the EZ4 firmware does not have the ability but EZ4client should.

8. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Thanks again, man. I appreciate all your help.

9. abbadab

Newcomer abbadab Advanced Member

United States
    did all the above - ez-flash iv - get white screen on my GBA SP after the game loads... very frustrating. i have roms divided up into folders so as not to have too many to display...

used the client to load games - updated firmware to 1.7something

am i missing something?!? i am at a loss [​IMG]

thank u for any light u can shed on this

10. trans am

Newcomer trans am Advanced Member

Portugal
    Did you format the miniSD to FAT?

11. abbadab

Newcomer abbadab Advanced Member

United States
    formatted to FAT
    got a real miniSD not a microSD in an adapter
    used the client to put games on
    when i start it up i get darth vader ok
    when i select a game, i get the GAMEBOY screen with the word Nintendo all garbled.

what am i doing wrong?

12. Diosoth

Member Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The EZFlash IV is pretty annoying to use compared to DS cards. The skin is considered part of the firmware, which is why I only ever made one skin for it. Putting ROMs on the card also involves a utility. Needless to say, once I got it set up I never messed with it after that.

Amusing enough, my stat counter shows the one skin I made gets a fair number of downloads. I guess enough people bought these things but the skinning community was rather small.