Hacking EZ Flash IV Crashes on Startup

LurkerNeedsHelpPlz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all; I need help, and I'll get right to the question:

I've had an EZ Flash IV for a few years and just recently started using it again. Today, I updated to the newest firmware it let me (right before 2.0. I think it was 1.78), and I added some new games onto the cart via the EZClient. It booted up fine, and I tried booting up a game that was less than 16MB. It took a while, but it finally got to 100% and froze there for a few minutes. I turned the thing off and back on (I know, I shouldn't have done that, but I didn't know what to do.) Now, no matter whether the Micro SD Card (1GB Formatted to FAT32) is in the Mini SD Adaptor or not, the Cartridge boots to the "Item Describe:" box with the blue background, but the box is empty, and then it starts filing black lines down the screen until the entire screen is black and nothing happens after that. I've tried holding "R" at launch with different versions of the .bin on the card to try and make it download a new firmware to fix this issue, but it only appears as a solid black screen when it boots, and I don't seem to be able to make it change firmware.

Is my cart done for, or is there anything I can do to reset the cart or fix this?

Thank you for your help; it's greatly needed

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"and I added some new games onto the cart via the EZClient"
If you are on the latest firmware you don't need it. Should be copy and paste/drag and drop nowadays. Patching might even cause traumas. There are still trimmers.

" is in the Mini SD Adaptor"
I have no idea why but these things are awful and have caused no end of issues over the years. If it worked before then it should work now but it is the symptom we normally see with such things (or poor contact in general).

"1GB Formatted to FAT32"
The update path to 2.0 also brought SDHC support which really seems to trouble plain old SD a lot of the time. If you can scrounge up even a 4 gig SDHC from an old phone or something can you try that?

LurkerNeedsHelpPlz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was working earlier today until I tried to boot a game and it froze, at which point I turned off the console.
Now, even with the SD removed, I am still getting the same issue.

I tried a different MicroSD, not formatted to FAT32, and it's the same. There's a blank "Item Describe" Text Box, the blue background, then vertical lines come down and black out the screen, whether or not there is an SD card in there or not

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It was working earlier today until I tried to boot a game and it froze, at which point I turned off the console.
Now, even with the SD removed, I am still getting the same issue.

I tried a different MicroSD, not formatted to FAT32, and it's the same. There's a blank "Item Describe" Text Box, the blue background, then vertical lines come down and black out the screen, whether or not there is an SD card in there or not
The issue is not FAT32 but the SD spec. Your 1Gb card will most likely not work with the 2.0+ firmware because it's not an sdhc card. You need to use an sdhc card (4Gb and larger) formated to FAT32 to load games.

LurkerNeedsHelpPlz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is not FAT32 but the SD spec. Your 1Gb card will most likely not work with the 2.0+ firmware because it's not an sdhc card. You need to use an sdhc card (4Gb and larger) formated to FAT32 to load games.

It's on 1.78, not 2.0, and I get the same issue on startup whether or not there is an SD card in the slot

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's on 1.78, not 2.0, and I get the same issue on startup whether or not there is an SD card in the slot
SDHC compliance was, afaik, added (and as a result non-SDHC compatibility dropped) with 1.78 - So even with 1.78 you're going to need an SDHC card.

The black lines you mention appear when the card does not recognize an SD card. This can have multiple causes:

Your non-SDHC card not being compatible with whatever firmware version you're running (1.78+)
Or your Mini-SD Adapter being broken/iffy - I have seen this issue with lots of mini-SD Adapters.

Note that if you have a mini-SD EZ-Flash IV, you're going to need two SD cards:

1. The bootloader remains not SDHC compliant, so a SDHC card can not be used for firmware updates
2. The Kernel is SDHC compliant and (from 1.78 onwards) not (or at severely reduced) compatible with non-SDHC cards.

LurkerNeedsHelpPlz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The black lines you mention appear when the card does not recognize an SD card. This can have multiple causes:

Your non-SDHC card not being compatible with whatever firmware version you're running (1.78+)
Or your Mini-SD Adapter being broken/iffy - I have seen this issue with lots of mini-SD Adapters.

So before I find our how to get a mini SDHC, the cartridge has the same black bar issue even when the MiniSD adaptor isn't in the cartridge, so no matter if I have the adaptor, MicroSD, or neither of those in the cartridge, the outcome is the same. Is that due to what you were saying, or is it a different issue?

Basically, if I can get a 4GB SDHC micro SD, that should fix everything?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Update: I was able to find an 8GB MicroSD (SDHC), formatted to FAT32 and with the Games and Saves files my regular SD had. Still nothing has changed. Does the MiniSD adaptor also need to be a certain kind? It worked with the older one before the update, but does it need to be a certain type to keep up with the SDHC?

Any ideas?

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So before I find our how to get a mini SDHC, the cartridge has the same black bar issue even when the MiniSD adaptor isn't in the cartridge, so no matter if I have the adaptor, MicroSD, or neither of those in the cartridge, the outcome is the same. Is that due to what you were saying, or is it a different issue?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Update: I was able to find an 8GB MicroSD (SDHC), formatted to FAT32 and with the Games and Saves files my regular SD had. Still nothing has changed. Does the MiniSD adaptor also need to be a certain kind? It worked with the older one before the update, but does it need to be a certain type to keep up with the SDHC?

Any ideas?
Yes, the black bars happen whenever the card can not find an SD card. It doesn't matter if the reason is that its incompatible, not seated properly or not inserted at all. Black bars = no readable SD card found.

The mini SD adapter itself does not need to be special, it's just a "pin converter". But sometimes these mini adapters can be tricky to use. They might not be seated correctly or have contact issues for other reasons. Maybe try a different mini SD adapter. I have a Kingston branded one that doesn't work at all, but a different brand (EDIT: Transcend) works. It's just trial and error. Or try cleaning the contacts.

As for SDHC miniSD cards, I don't even know of they exist, but if they do, they are very rare. I think it is to be expected to use a miniSD apater with an SDHC microsd, but make sure it works correctly.

Last edited by Localhorst86,
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hmm didn't know they made more Dusk Till Dawn movies watched part one on Pluto TV and they have...