EZ Flash IV and Compatibility questions on latest kernel version.

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Fire_Slasher, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Fire_Slasher GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    Hello everyone,Sorry if there is another thread about this but I searched it up and only could only find older threads discussing the older firmware versions. Anyways I got a GBA SP and I ordered an EZ Flash IV (micro sd ver.) as it was the most recommended flash cart here on Gba Temp (and I thank everyone who helped me decide in the other thread I created :yaysp:).

So I would like to know how is the compatibility for the EZF as it stands on the latest firmware? Did things improve from older versions? From what I read people seem to have problems with the DBZ games and the classic NES games but is that about it? Say: I plan on playing Mother 3 with the fan translation, will I have any issues with it and such?
    Again any help is much appreciated.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It is more or less the same as it was for http://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 and fixed with much the same things (I linked fixes in there and any threads pertaining to them if they had a bit more active development).
    Other than that it is mainly a soft reset vs hard reset launch issue. Some hack the kernel to hard reset by default, others will use the L and A button combo to launch the games.

Mother 3 should not pose a problem. The NOR issue that some had seems to have been sorted with newer carts.

Fire_Slasher likes this.
  3. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    Thanks a bunch, will have an extensive look around that thread.

4. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil

Spent some 2 hours looking for an issue with Phantasy Star Collection but could not find a solution. It seems to be a known issue that it doesn't save the progress, do you know if there's any patch or workaround for it?

5. bitbite

bitbite Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    Canada
    Try shortening the file name.gba, that usually causes most save issues.

6. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    I tried putting as Phan.gba and did not work, will try using just a single letter (P) to see later. :/

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Fire_Slasher likes this.
  8. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
    I'd also like to add that I'm having white screens on any version of Baseball Advance, including the mode7 one. Has anyone gotten this game to work? If so, what did you do to get it to work on the EZ Flash? (I have the Micro SD Card version, if that matters at all, on latest FW)

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Never so much as heard of the game in a support (or any for that matter) capacity, and being an earlier ROM I imagine issues might have been known.

Two usual suspects.
    It does not work with the soft reset. Launch the game by holding L and A. You will see the Nintendo logo again and hopefully it will then boot.

Trimming has broken it. You say mode7 so do I assume an intro there? That would tend to dodge the issue but anyway if you take a hex editor and change some of the later parts of the ROM that are 00 or FF to something other than 00 or FF then run it through the client program again.

It is far more likely to be the former.

10. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    Thanks again FAST, you've been a great help, the fix you linked for phantasy star worked like a charm!

Also @jastolze I will try getting a ROM for that game and test it out later to see if I have any issues with it.

jastolze likes this.
  11. Fire_Slasher
    OP

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    Tested it, booting normally indeed gave me a white screen but doing the hard reset boot (hold L and press A) like FAST said worked like a charm! Try it out. Also Wakeboarding Unleashed got stuck as well with the normal boot but worked with the hard reset.

12. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Qu├ębec
    Isn't there a firmware file out there for the last kernel version with reset in it? Some games are picky and the GBA needs to reset first before you can play it