EZ-Flash battery... is dead!?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Tac 21, Aug 14, 2008.

Aug 14, 2008

EZ-Flash battery... is dead!? by Tac 21 at 6:55 PM (2,197 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Tac 21
    OP

Member Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I woke up one morning to see that the RTC was no longer gonna hold... with it reseting and asking me which language, you know, EZ3 users, the thing it does when you first boot it.

anyway I keeping getting the message "WARNING, bay dry or first time" and I've tryed a charge for a day, among EZ check and a OS reboot.... but still no dice.

I'm going to charge it in the computer one more time... this time with the software on. anything I can try to get it back to normal and the RTC working again? it shouldn't bust after a year

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    If it is dead you will be doing what I am doing. canabalizing parts from cheaper carts or getting them off mouser. then soldering them off and on to maintain to keep what I got.

3. Tac 21
    OP

Canada
    shoot... yeah if i forgot to meantion, it is EZ-III.

yea... the real time clock is done... what kind of parts do you use and where can you buy these? mouser?

4. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    a rechargable battery, you will need to get the one that matches and has both tabs on one side, it should be in the 5 dollar range for the battery your looking for. the cheaper ones are the non-rechargable ones.

WARNING NOTE: if you bought one of the cheaper non-rechargable ones and put it in the EZ III instead, don't be a moron and try to charge it for 8 hours. you will end up with a class D chemical fire that will burn a hole through the cart and anything that it sits on top of. fumes will also be toxic and can burn your skin on contact.

5. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    How would you know that?

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    because i repair things for a living. fire hazards are part of it. I have to have 3 kinds of fire extinguisher, one for each type of fire due to what I have to work with. it is required by law.

thermite is classified as a class D fire. water feeds class D fires.

7. Tac 21
    OP

Canada
    what kind of Battery volts does EZ-III take? London Drugs couldn't help me with it and i was pretty sure they didn't have the type anyway

so I took it apart just now and I ask, exactly what type of battery is this called? how do I uninstall it without damage to the cart and put a new one back in without damage to the cart?

8. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    All of mine still work, but the markings say it is a

Panisonic VL-2XX0 coin-cell with tabs rechargable

the XX are the numbers covered up by the tabs.

The one we want to use is either the:
    VL-2020 : http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=658-VL2020-1VC
    VL-2320 : http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=658-VL2320-1VC
    VL-2330 : http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=658-VL2330-1VC

These 3 match the one required. if your looking at the reference page it is type R in the top area.

mouser page:
    http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?F...amp;Ns=P_SField

mouser reference page:
    http://www.mouser.com/catalog/635/2008.pdf

here is a link to a picture of mine if you need to reference it first:

[​IMG]

I don't know the exact one that will work for it, unless you are willing to desolder the battery off and remove the tab on the top off to read exactly which one it is. I have several other carts I have done replacements with like the F2A 256M etc., those all use different types of coin cells so the exact batteries are different from what the EZ3 uses.

If anyone else has a dead gba cart and would like to get it back in working order, just provide me with the battery type you have for the cart and I will get you the mouser part you will need to replace it.

9. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    if anyone has a EZ III cart and can read the battery type on it or have pictures of the PCB with battery like the one I got in the previous post, it would speed up identifying the replacement batteries needed.

10. Tac 21
    OP

Canada
    thanks dude.

damn!

[​IMG]

why would EZ-III have different type of batteries?

do these batteries HAVE to be bought at mouser? I can't buy on the internet right now. I would have to do things local.

as much as I want to solder it out, I don't have the equipment right now

2nd pic
    [​IMG]

11. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    yours is covered up like mine. you can't see the 2 middle numbers.

there is always the options of buying all 3 batteries at once, then when you get soldering equipment you can check which one it is.

you will need:

copper braid (for removing solder)
    soldering iron (fine point tip if possible, do not use the cold heat soldering iron)
    any type of solder less than .9 mm with flux core will do, it will liquify fast so you don't need much.

buy a small ciruitboard with copper pinouts so you can practice on before you do the real thing. try to apply as much solder as you see on the cart right now. If you bead the solder you run the risk of shorting out the chip underneath.

it is not that they have different batteries, I was hoping that someone was lucky enough to have a battery with the tabs not covering the battery type. batteries with tabs can't be bought at the local shop unless you know of a hobby shop that stocks in this kind of stuff.

12. Tac 21
    OP

Canada
    damn, I see these are custom made.

Thanks, I don't know when and how I'll get around this, but I will notify you when I do.

still haven't gotten around to it... are any of these available locally? they may not be available online anymore.