Hacking ez-flash 3in1 replaced battery, still won't work

lemonuser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my ez flash 3 in 1 stopped saving so i looked up what to do, bought a new battery, replaced the old one, but still it won't work.

i use a cyclods as the slot1 card
while i was working the lower pin to hold the battery broke so i had it resoldered.
whenever i try to save it says it can't save, and some games will mention the save datas are corrupted
some games will run as if everything was ok but i can't save either
i downloaded the .nds application to check if the nor was working but it displays the following

'nor flash id=0x227e2218.
start sram verify.
verify err: add=0. s=74, d=80'

is there anything that can be done to get it to work again?
HELP!

lemonuser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used the 'tape a new battery' guide
only the inferior tab was resoldered because it broke off

i have the EZ5C11 version of 3in

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sometimes the tape isn't strong enough and comes loose enough to intermittently touch the battery when you close the shell and not provide power to the SRAM consistently. That would give you the error you likely saw with the SRAM test. You will likely have to straighten out a tabs some more and try again.

I solder all of my GBA flashcarts with new batteries with tabs, it is considerably more reliable than the tape method for those who know their way around a soldering iron. Though I can't say the same for the shipping and handling cost when you only need to buy 1 as apposed to buying a lot.

I have a link to a US based vendor that sells batteries with tabs under Maintenance of the 3in1 guide that is sticky-ed here. You can only pick ground UPS only when ordering any batteries.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-tell-which-version-of-the-3in1-you-have.130659/

Tamhvm

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
tamh.info
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello, and sorry to barge in and unprune this old topic, but the same is happening to me, intermittently.
After believing my EZ Flash 3in1 (v4) was gone for dead, as it didn't even show up on the DS menu screen, I stored it for a year and so.
Past week, I was doing some cleaning when I found it and decided to check it out again. I cleaned the contacts thoroughly, checked the battery (which was awkwardly showing 2.9 V, because I stored it for a long time) and inside the DS it went. It didn't show up again in the menu.
I decided to check on the battery again. I had changed it before when it worked. The battery had 2.9 V in my tests, but it didn't have any voltage when measured directly in the PCB contacts. A tab was broken and not making contact. So, a solder point was in order, and voltage was back to the PCB. Again, no menu item, not recognized in Exploader.
I then used the paper insert trick to create a more solid connection. This time, the DS recognized it. I loaded a game to SRAM with Exploader, but after the boot logo, white screen. I loaded a game to NOR, and it did work, with some major glitches: I couldn't get past the title screen, the sound was garbled sometimes, so on.
I ran sram_test, and I got exactly what OP said:
Code:
nor flash id=0x227e2218.
start sram verify.
verify err: add=0. s=74, d=80
I went out in a limb and tried to create a more solid connection, by using a hot glue strip all over the border of the PCB instead of just paper, so that it would look sufficiently leveled (as an original GBA cart). It is a pain in the arse to insert and remove it, but at least it kinda works.
Sometimes it doesn't seem to fit right and the SRAM test fails again (I can recognize it when Exploader asks to prepare the card for the first time), so I always verify it before playing. If I try to play when the test fails, I lose all the progress (as Exploader asks to prepare the card).
I know that if I knock over the DS, throw it over my bed, or move it strongly or very fast this problem occurs. I'm unsure if it's the battery, or the connection.
Those are the two biggest points of failure with this card.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nearly everyone that uses the tape method still gets and error regardless afterwards. As long as your save holds when you turn off the DS and turn it back on, your ok. If it doesn't hold a save, you will likely need to fix the way your taping the battery.

I know that if I knock over the DS, throw it over my bed, or move it strongly or very fast this problem occurs. I'm unsure if it's the battery, or the connection.
The tabs basically separate from the battery long enough for you to lose your save data.

This is why I recommend soldering a battery. A Replacement battery with tabs can be found in the Maintenance section of 3in1 guide in this section. Since your not in the USA, you will have to find a vendor that sells batteries with tabs that closely matches the battery listed in the Maintenance section. Hobby stores for RC gear and the like might carry it.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-tell-which-version-of-the-3in1-you-have.130659/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Mj you are the father