Hacking EZ-Flash 3in1 and R4 Not Saving GBA games

NFreakHL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this issue has come up countless times, but after an hour or so of searching here, other forums, and even Google, I got nothing. I'm using an R4 and EZ-Flash 3in1 combo with Rudolph's Expansion Tool (or whatever the predecessor to his GBA eXploader is called). I've patched all my roms that needed to be patched, I have both the GBA and SAVE folder (and save files do appear in the SAVE folder), and I've tried both PSRAM and NOR for everything (I only have 4 roms anyway).

I load up the Expansion Tool, and try to run in PSRAM. - "SRAM save data not found - Can't backup to SAV file" - and as expected, the rom loads, the game saves fine (no in-game error messages like corrupt data), but next time I go to play, it won't load it up.

NOR mode - Same message. However, the game WILL copy to NOR and let me run it as if the 3in1 was a regular GBA cart, but it just won't save.

Also, when I tried the GBA Exploader, I got a message saying to set the Slot-2 device to the program or something along those lines every time I started the loader.

My guess is the battery is dead or something. In this case, is there any way to recharge the battery? Or should I just buy a new 3in1?

NFreakHL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you get me a link about the solder method? I'm not experienced with this stuff so I'm probably gonna end up buying a new one instead, but I might take a crack at it before I do.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
NFreakHL said:
Can you get me a link about the solder method? I'm not experienced with this stuff so I'm probably gonna end up buying a new one instead, but I might take a crack at it before I do.
Its actually quite easy to replace the battery, though you need a new replacement battery, a soldering gun and some solder, else your option is get a new 3in1.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jack-Of-Trades said:
Actually it is rechargeable lol It's a panasonic VL2020 3V 1000
No, it's not (at least not in the original hardware version of the 3-in-1, I'm not sure about the new hardware version). It's a CR 1220, which is not a rechargeable battery. You want one that comes with solder tabs, you don't want to be soldering anything directly to a battery after it's been assembled.

See here for more info: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6251

secspyral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NFreakHL said:
I'm sure this issue has come up countless times, but after an hour or so of searching here, other forums, and even Google, I got nothing. I'm using an R4 and EZ-Flash 3in1 combo with Rudolph's Expansion Tool (or whatever the predecessor to his GBA eXploader is called). I've patched all my roms that needed to be patched, I have both the GBA and SAVE folder (and save files do appear in the SAVE folder), and I've tried both PSRAM and NOR for everything (I only have 4 roms anyway).

I load up the Expansion Tool, and try to run in PSRAM. - "SRAM save data not found - Can't backup to SAV file" - and as expected, the rom loads, the game saves fine (no in-game error messages like corrupt data), but next time I go to play, it won't load it up.

NOR mode - Same message. However, the game WILL copy to NOR and let me run it as if the 3in1 was a regular GBA cart, but it just won't save.

Also, when I tried the GBA Exploader, I got a message saying to set the Slot-2 device to the program or something along those lines every time I started the loader.

My guess is the battery is dead or something. In this case, is there any way to recharge the battery? Or should I just buy a new 3in1?

I have the EXACT same issue as this person. The only difference is, my flash cart is brand new. this can't be a battery issue right?

Zanonymous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same problem, except not really. After playing FF6 around 10 hours and saving, the next time I played it there was my save with 8 hours :wtf:. My other games save fine, but ever since then I quit playing it cause I lost too much time.
And that's Pulseman, NFreakHL, am I the first to figure it out?

redjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ahve this problem too. There is a save folder that has my saves and everything, but it jsut wont load those save files. The only thing different is that I use supercard ds one with flash me V 3 in 1...

secspyral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seedvt said:
secspyral said:
i just cant see how it could be a battery issue when its a brand new card

Could be a bad batch.

if this is the truth then i have no problem replacing the battery I just don't understand how this is a battery issue. The rumble feature works, I can load into the psram and everything. It just wont remember that i saved it even though the sav file is there

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
secspyral said:
seedvt said:
secspyral said:
i just cant see how it could be a battery issue when its a brand new card

Could be a bad batch.

if this is the truth then i have no problem replacing the battery I just don't understand how this is a battery issue. The rumble feature works, I can load into the psram and everything. It just wont remember that i saved it even though the sav file is there
Of course rumble and PSRAM work, they don't use the battery. The battery exists to backup the SRAM. Everything else will work fine until the 3-in-1 itself dies. And just because it's brand new to you doesn't mean it was brand new to the warehouse where it sat for a year before you came along and bought it.

Also, to the people planning to buy a rechargeable battery; you are being silly, cease this nonsense. The battery has no way of drawing power from your DS. The 3-in-1 is not wired for recharging batteries, the idea that you can just put a rechargeable battery in and it will be recharged makes no sense. The only way to recharge it would be to de-solder it and charge it externally to the 3-in-1, then re-solder it when you're done. And since rechargeables have shorter lifespans, you'll be recharging it more often than you'd be replacing a regular battery; and since it's the same process anyway, you may as well bite it and get a non-rechargeable battery.

Killer Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having problems with my newly bought EZ-Flash 3 in 1 as well.

I play games, everything go well until I turn off my DS and nothing is there.

Do I have bad batch problem as well?

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, I received mine today from DealExtreme, battery is dead on a brand new 3in1. If I cycle the power very quickly it seems that it'll save, but leaving it off for more than a few seconds means it won't. Even when it does work though, I'm having issues saving period with Astro Boy Omega Factor, for some reason when it writes the save file correctly it still doesn't work, though I assume that's a YSmenu issue.

Fraz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reviving an old thread but it's exactly my problem.

I just got my EZflash 3in1 and no GBA saves will hold for any length of time. I had dead battery issues with old cards I've had and they still stay for at least minutes, although I'm willing to believe it was completely dead.

I pulled out my multimeter to check it and it definitely wasn't as powerful as it should have been.

Today I went and got a replacement battery (3v, 1.5 mA). It didn't have the 2 leads so I improvised with some wire I had lying around. Still not saving.

I'm willing to consider that I'm not the electrical macgyver I think I am but before I can find another battery that is more suited what other potential problems could I check?

edit: I should mention I've tried several games (needed to be patched v. not. 32MB v. less), so I don't believe the rom is at fault either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.