Hardware Ez flash 3 in 1 life

bxnice33

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that the ez flash 3 in 1 will not work after a period of time because it has a battery like the gba carts do, is that true?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yep. It's true. The battery is used to keep saves. When it's used up, you lose the ability to save on the 3 in 1.
It lasts around 2-4 years though.

~Nero

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So if the battery runs out, are all the saves lost?

Is there a way where you can put the saves on the slot 1 microSD card? That way the saves wouldn't get lost when the battery runs out?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So if the battery runs out, are all the saves lost?

Is there a way where you can put the saves on the slot 1 microSD card? That way the saves wouldn't get lost when the battery runs out?

When you save in the EZ Flash 3 in 1... It saves in the SRAM. Go to your Slot-1 and boot up Rudolph's Tools. You can press B to backup your saves in a folder named 'Saves' in your "GBA" directory.

~Nero

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok sweet thanks!

Also, is there a way to replace the battery on the ez flash 3 in 1 on your own once the battery dies?

I just ordered one and just want to make sure I know everything about it.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok sweet thanks!

Also, is there a way to replace the battery on the ez flash 3 in 1 on your own once the battery dies?

Besides getting a new one, and ripping the battery out of that, taking out the dead battery in your old 3 in 1, and placing the brand new battery in there? No.

EDIT: No problem! Anytime.
biggrin.gif

~Nero

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've always been under the impression that the battery recharged over time (hence why if you had saving problems when you first got it you just left the DS on for a while in GBA mode) is this incorrect?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've always been under the impression that the battery recharged over time (hence why if you had saving problems when you first got it you just left the DS on for a while in GBA mode) is this incorrect?
I always thought the same thing, so you're probably right.

But maybe the battery will be really bad after a long time...

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I always thought the same thing, so you're probably right.

But maybe the battery will be really bad after a long time...

I believe that is false. The 3 in 1's battery doesn't "recharge"

Once it's dead, it's dead.

~Nero

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
So if the battery runs out, are all the saves lost? Is there a way where you can put the saves on the slot 1 microSD card? That way the saves wouldn't get lost when the battery runs out?
Just to clarify, the 3-in-1 can only hold one game with one savefile at a time. Other games are all kept on the slot 1 microSD, along with their savefiles. So only the save for the game you played last is held on the 3-in-1 itself.

To replace the battery the hardest part would be finding one; I don't know if the situation's any different now but rechargeable cell batteries used to be a bitch to find, especially seeing as the ones that come pre-installed in these carts all come from Japan to begin with. If you could find one with the contacts already glued on I don't see it being a problem to install it (it would require soldering knowledge, mind). Or there might be a non-rechargeable equivalent you can use, if you don't mind it running out frequently. It's too early for anyone to have investigated it yet, information will probably only come out when someone has the problem.

About the 3-in-1 battery, Nero do you have a source for that 2-4 years figure?
unsure.gif

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
as long as the ez-flash V 3-in-1 cart is easy to take apart, i can't imagine the battery being too hard to replace if you go to your local electronics store and source it there. Or is it?

Either that or buy the EZ Flash IV 3-in-1, which has no battery back-up
laugh.gif

Longevity is something that concerns me too, so I like the line of questioning taken in this thread
smile.gif

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So if the battery runs out, are all the saves lost? Is there a way where you can put the saves on the slot 1 microSD card? That way the saves wouldn't get lost when the battery runs out?Just to clarify, the 3-in-1 can only hold one game with one savefile at a time. Other games are all kept on the slot 1 microSD, along with their savefiles. So only the save for the game you played last is held on the 3-in-1 itself.

To replace the battery the hardest part would be finding one; I don't know if the situation's any different now but rechargeable cell batteries used to be a bitch to find, especially seeing as the ones that come pre-installed in these carts all come from Japan to begin with. If you could find one with the contacts already glued on I don't see it being a problem to install it (it would require soldering knowledge, mind). Or there might be a non-rechargeable equivalent you can use, if you don't mind it running out frequently. It's too early for anyone to have investigated it yet, information will probably only come out when someone has the problem.

About the 3-in-1 battery, Nero do you have a source for that 2-4 years figure?
unsure.gif

I don't have a source, but I heard it from countless amounts of people/Tempers, so I'm going with that.

~Nero

2dere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wow. I always figured that the battery would recharge with use like in computers and the pokemon games (Because I always thought the battery died due to lack of use.) Though, to be honest. I wasn't aware (or ignorant enough to ignore) the battery.
Though in 3 years time, as long as there are DS I'm sure someone will be making slot 2 devices and there's bound to be something superior by then anyway.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Come on guys, the bloody thing costs 18$ (that's 9 pounds for ye Brits!). If it will keep working for at least a year and you complain, you are a bunch of cheapskates.
dry.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok sweet thanks!

Besides getting a new one, and ripping the battery out of that, taking out the dead battery in your old 3 in 1, and placing the brand new battery in there? No.

EDIT: No problem! Anytime.
biggrin.gif

~Nero

Which is much easier than you make it sound. And it is rechargeable anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night