Hacking EZ-Fash Jr. - My opinion after one year.

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After owning an EZ-Flash Jr. for over one year, and reading the topics on GBAtemp, i really want to share my experience with you.

To be fair, the Ez-Flash JR. was released with a list of features, that are (nearly) all working. After a few firmware updates. Additional features like cheats and RTS are always welcome - of course - but were never promised.

I'am collecting VideoGames since over 20 years. So i got a few GB/GBC FlashCarts ( 2 Doctor GB Cards 64M and one 16M from Bung, JACK DIY, GB USB Smart Card and the EZ Flash Jr.) And all are working with original/modded GB/GBC/GBA units, as well as with the GB Colour Clone consoles from KongFeng (who are a good choice if you won't/can't afford a modded original one).

Except the EZ Jr.

I can't say anything about RTC, cause i'am not playing games who are using this feature. My reason to purchase the EZ Flash Jr. was mainly the hardware-based reset-button.

My problem: The only system, i can use the Ez-Flash Jr. with all it's features (including the hardware reset function), is my backlit-modded GBA

The EZ Jr. has issues with all other devices:

- With clone consoles it's nearly incompatible (random crashes, looping Nintendo Logo). - But OK. The EZ-Team never said the cart would work with clones.
- It has issues with my original (and also unmodded) GameBoy Light (reset-button leads to freeze).
- The same problem on my backlit-modded GB Pocket.
- Also the same problem on my unmodded original GB Pocket.

The cart is - in my opinion - unstable. If it will work or not is an interaction of:

- Firmware
- Loader Software
- Batteries (charging state, etc...)
- microSD card (size, speed, brand, etc...)
- Game Boy system (original GameBoy/ Pocket/ Color/ Advanced or Advanced SP)
- and... if it is modded or unmodded.. in wich way ever...
- AND: How much files/folders you put on your microSD card... and their filnames (lenght/characters)

If you buy that cart, expect that you have to invest some time to experimenting around with it. And i guess with some systems, it's just incompatible (especially clones), or some features will not work.

Conclusion:

- Classic carts, like the GB Doctor Carts from BUNG - which i still own, and who are from the late 90s - are completely obsolete and unattractive today. But are working with all modded/unmodded Systems.

- The GB USB Smart Card 64M is a funny one. It's compatible with all devices, but has a small space (64Mbit - 8MB / also split into two 32MB banks, who can only be switched via quick power off and on your GameBoy :wtf: ) and it's a hassle to flash it (mini USB). Also lacking all fancy features (RTC, RTS, cheats, reset-function... etc...)

The JACK DIY is an affordable EverDrive clone with cheat-support and a it's compatible with all consoles i own - including clone consoles. No hardware-based reset-button, no RTS, no RTC (as far as i know).

Everdrive GB is sure king in every way. Expensive, but full of features. I don't own one. But i'll guess, if you want RTC, RTS, cheats and neary 100% compatiblity, this is the choice. / BTW: I don't know if ED is compatible with clones. If someone has tested it: Please report.

This is only my opinion!

Everyone who own a EZ-Flash Jr. is welcome to post his experience. Please include as much information as possible: Firmware, Software, your GB-System, Batteries, micro SD, etc.

Last edited by Bonny,

luisf50

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for sharing your experience, I would like to know if anyone knows of any flashcard that is compatible with a GBP with backlit display mod, I have the EZ JR and the voltage of the AAA batteries is not enough due to the high consumption of the EZ Flash.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for sharing your experience, I would like to know if anyone knows of any flashcard that is compatible with a GBP with backlit display mod, I have the EZ JR and the voltage of the AAA batteries is not enough due to the high consumption of the EZ Flash.

Game Boy Pocket? Go for an Jack DIY. Its a clone, but with this cart, you can carry around a full black/white GB-set with you. It has also cheat-support. Maybe an Everdrive Cart has more features, but at least for the Jack DIY, i can say: it's fully compatible with my backlit Game Boy Pocket. If anyone is using an Everdrive with an modded Game Boy Pocket, please post

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Last edited by Bonny,
Reactions: luisf50

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here' a pic of the GB/GBC carts i have. Just for anyone who's wondering about the names in my post.

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_224021.jpg
    IMG_20210325_224021.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 451
Last edited by Bonny,

jaycop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I own the ezFlash Jr now since roughly a month and I am very happy with it.
Perhaps I‘m lucky, but I don‘t experience any issues so far.

Using it on a modded GBC (CGB-CPU-01) with a Funnyplaying v2 IPS Display. I use a Sandisk Red mSD (32 gb).
Initially I had the „microSD initial error“, but then I upgraded the FW to to 1.05RC and everything seems to work great from that point on. I am using normal rechargeable batteries (1.2v).

GB and GBC games load up fine, reset Button works as intended and I only experienced some crashes with 1 ROM (Warioland 3), but since I used another ROM of the same game all is fine.
One Game won’t boot (Kirby’s tilt n tumble), but that’s about it.

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What about the El Cheapo SD?

There's also the Flash2Advance with GB Bridge, but those seem to be hopelessly obscure.

El Cheapo SD? Good question. I don't own one. If anyone does: Please report.

Yeah, Flash2Advance with GB Bridge - the same as my Bung carts: Completely obsolete.

luisf50

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Forget to mention, but does it work with 1.5v rechargeable batteries?
Game Boy Pocket? Go for an Jack DIY. Its a clone, but with this cart, you can carry around a full black/white GB-set with you. It has also cheat-support. Maybe an Everdrive Cart has more features, but at least for the Jack DIY, i can say: it's fully compatible with my backlit Game Boy Pocket. If anyone is using an Everdrive with an modded Game Boy Pocket, please post

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ShadowTheEdgelord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Highly interesting. I have 2 Jr's. and 2 unmodded GBC (at least if you dont count a shell mod on one). Both have had absolutely no issues whatsoever no matter how we play it. latest firm, kinkston 4gb sd card and both on battery and dc powered.

One interesting thing my bro noticed though is that its half unplayable through the GBA player on the Gamecube as it will randomly reset itself and freeze. He suggests this could possibly be a voltage issue as it runs at a different level compared to the gbc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: hello