EZ 3 in 1 Pokemon Emerald

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Jaejae, Oct 10, 2007.

Oct 10, 2007

EZ 3 in 1 Pokemon Emerald by Jaejae at 11:54 PM (5,222 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Jaejae
    OP

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    I recently bought an EZ 3 in 1 expansion pack, and I can load games up fine.
    Today I tried to load up Pokemon Emerald so I could trade Pokemon with Diamond, and I got a message about the battery being dry.
    I had a look on google, and I found that an ips patch might fix the problem, so I found the patch, applied it to the rom with GBATA, and loaded it into NOR with Rudolf's tool, but I still get the error message.
    Does anyone know how I might fix his problem?
    I am aware I can play with this error, but I would like to be able to grow berries, and have tides working.
    If it makes any difference, I am using an R4.

Thanks

2. Jaejae
    OP

New Zealand
    Bump....

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Note that the IPS patch that you should have found is actually for the DS rom.

4. .::5pYd3r::.

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
    The "Battery being Dry" means there is no "Real Time Clock" battery in the EZ flash 3 in 1. Don't worry about it the game will run fine

5. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Oh I get what you mean. I thought you wanted a patch to migrate pokemon from Emerald to Diamond (you will still need a patch for this if you are pirating the ROMs: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/about5342.html).

6. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    What would be fun is a NDS loader that writes the current DS time to SRAM and a patch that does real-time functions while playing and uses SRAM for time storage. The next best thing after an RTC. Actually, better than an RTC as the battery can't fail that easily.

7. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Emerald can't use the RTC on a 3in1, but Ruby and Sapphire can be patched to work using GBATA. I'm sure there will be a patch eventually, but not yet.

If you want to migrate from a 3in1 to R4/Slot 1 you can follow this very thorough guide I wrote a little while ago. Here!

8. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    So you can't use legit gba pokemon games when you patch d/p rom.
    Can you use actual Pokémon d/p game with gba rom on 3-in-1 ... or does 3-in-1 function without slot-1 card?

9. Jaejae
    OP

New Zealand
    Thanks for the replies, albeit after a bump.
    All I really wanted to know is whether or not I can use the RTC with Emerald, and now I know I can't.
    BTW: The 3 in 1 does have a RTC battery.

10. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    A Real Time Clock is not a battery, it's a clock that's powered by a battery when the system is turned off. The 3-in-1 doesn't have one. The battery is for the SRAM.

11. Jaejae
    OP

New Zealand
    I am fully aware that having a battery does not constitute a RTC, but I presumed, that with the fix, it was possible to use the battery to power the RTC.
    Can someone confirm/make me feel like an ass, this?

12. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    There is no RTC to power. The RTC is a seperate piece of hardware that is not included in the 3-in-1, it's not something that can be added through a software upgrade.

13. kazumi213

Member kazumi213 GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Probably you already know, but anyway: the additional (and missing on the 3-in-1) piece of hardware driving the RTC is a crystal oscillator.

14. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    an oscillator alone cannot make a whole clock. there must also be a counter or memory or combination of both to store the time. Otherwise, what would the cart do with some random pulses?

15. kazumi213

Member kazumi213 GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Keep smiling without apparent reason? LOL

You are absolutely right Fat D, but I've not said crystal oscillator = RTC. Destructobot said the RTC is missing on the 3-in-1. Assuming a common RTC feature implementation on game carts' PCB (see pic), I was trying to say that the 3-in-1 is additionally missing a crystal oscillator.

[​IMG]

Original Pokemon Emerald PCB. RTC subsystem is on the top left corner, the cylinder being the crystal oscillator driving the RTC chip.