Hacking EZ 3-in-1: please excuse a dumb question

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I noticed there's a GBA-sized version of the EZ 3 in 1 available. What exactly does it do inside a GBA? I'd assume it allows you to play ROMs on it and maybe even support an OS but if so, I haven't found ONE site to tell me how much internal memory the 3 in 1 has and I doubt it can be upgraded via microSD cause AFAI was able to see it doesn't have a slot for one...

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ez 3-1 is the combo rumble, brower ram and GBA game player. I dont think it is made for a GBA persay, perhaps what you are seeing is a DS Phat sized cart as opposed to the more popular DS lite sized. You have to understand that a slot 1 card (ds top slot) is required to transfer GBA roms onto the 3-1. You wouldnt be able to place a rom on the GBA portion using a GBA. For the record accourding to my searchs the 3-1 has 32mb of ram, mostly for GBA storage I thinks.

Ps. There is no expandable memory slot for the 3-1. Using a DS You must have the GBA games on your slot one card (like EZV) and then write them to the slot 2 (3-1). After you have transfered a GBA to the 3-1 it will remain there until you write over it. Soooo I think you could use the 3-1 for a GBA but only if you already have a DS and a slot 1 to transfer the games...
and if you have a DS...why would you want a gba? =P

There are better solutions for playing roms on a GBA...this is not a good one.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
http://www.gameyeeeah.com/r4-r4ds-ez-in-ex...lack-p-298.html I was referring to this. As you can see they have a GBA-sized version. 32MB? That's hardly space to store 2 or 3 ROMs... then again I only need it for the memory expansion. I want it GBA-sized because I also have a GBA. It may be low-end as a GBA cart but it'll be enough for me to trade Pokemon. That's why I want GBA-sized over NDS version.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
AFAIK, 32MB is the max for a GBA game. The unloaded GBA ROMs are expected to be stored on a Slot 1 Card.
Okay now that's cleared things up for me. Thanks. I have one last question though. At $20 it's still very cheap. So I must ask, is the storage space of the EZ solid-state or is it just SRAM backed up by a battery? I know it has a battery inside but I don't know wether it uses it for real-time clock, saves, ROM image storage, or all 3 together.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a NOR memory bank totalling 256Mbit/32Mbyte. Once written it is there until you delete it.
There is a PSRAM bank at 128 Mbit/16 MByte, this is supported by the GBA/DS power supply and it is what is used by the tools most of the time for running games.
And there is a battery backed SRAM for saves (until they are transferred anyhow).

As for shops I have no idea but a bunch of the European shops got them soon after they were released.

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, pretty sure I wasnt going to get the mem storage right. good thing the other people know what they are talking about.

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe you ought to wait and see if anybody has tested one on a GBA first. I don't see how it would possibly work, personally, since you need a loader. The reason there's a GBA sized version is for the DS Phat.
QUOTE said:
32MB? That's hardly space to store 2 or 3 ROMs...
No, that's enough space for ONE rom. All loaders will only load one rom to the NOR.

Get an M3 Perfect Lite (which has a GBA-sized swap case) or an EZFlash IV Mini SD. Both of those also have memory.

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, you could use a DS+Slot-1 to flash a game to NOR than use it on a GBA. Pretty sure it'll work.
I know you can flash a game with a DS, but does the game in NOR run automatically when the 3-in-1 is run from GBA mode? If not, it won't work.

I thought it needed a DS-based loader (run via Slot-1), even to run the game in NOR.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
If you flash a game to NOR and then pull your Slot-1 card out the EZ 3-in-1 boots to whatever game was flashed to it so I'd assume it would work on the GBA the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi