EZ 3-1 odd files

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Blaze163, Dec 22, 2008.

Dec 22, 2008

EZ 3-1 odd files by Blaze163 at 8:22 PM (1,036 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I have found two odd and technically impossible files on my Cyclo's 8GB micro SD card since using my EZ Flash 3-1 card. They have odd names like É┼¤f P▀.`╔ , and claim to be around 2GB each, even though this added to the space my other files are taking up would take the total ammount of data on my 8GB card close to 12GB as my card is pretty much full. I cannot rename, move or delete the files. While they seem innocuous at the moment, it is irritating not knowing what they are, where they came from and what threat they pose. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

If it makes any difference, i recently updated my Evo to firmware 1.51.

2. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK seriously. What the hell are these files? They seem to be multiplying. There are now about 10 of them and they add up to nearly 30GB of space. Please advise.

Also, some of my save files are not registering properly. Final Fantasy 6 and Castlevania Circle Of The Moon are the notable problems. Are they notorious for failing or is it just me? In case it makes any difference, I'm using a Cyclo DS Evolution with my EZ Flash 3-1, my GBA roms and saves are kept in one folder together in my 'games' section of my microSD card and the others work fine, such as Mario Kart and Racing Gears. Why do some of my saves register but others seem to vanish after a few plays?

And finally, what is Cyclo Error Code 5? I got it a few times just now saying that saving was disabled for the session. It vanished on its own after a few 'switching on and off' sessions but just for future reference, what is it and how do I avoid it?

3. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    Try to fix FAT system with chkdsk DOS command.
    in a DOS command box type :
    chkdsk x: /f where x: is the letter of your microSD PC card reader.

4. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Your MicroSDHC card is corrupted. I suggest you backup what you can and reformat the card.

5. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks. I used the auto-fix feature on Vista (it offers to scan and repair the drive whenever its detected) and that removed the files. Regretably it came at a cost of about 30MB of disk space (as in permenantly removed the storage capacity from the card. it now registers the maximum space as 7.69GB) but that's only half a dozen MP3 files so it's of minimal concern. If it gets any worse 'll just back up my files to my laptop and purge the card. If that doesn't work I'll get a replacement free of charge. The problem with some of my save files also seems to have been resolved. The GBA files that seem affected are:

-Final Fantasy 6. simply refuses to acknowledge my save data. may just start again, wasn't very far. It was written to the NOR area to test it out. May play it through PSRAM instead since I have to start again anyway.
    -Castlevania Circle of the Moon. save file became corrupted near end-game and I'll be damned if I'm doing it all again
    -Castlevania Double pack. Aria of Sorrow data sometimes backtracks to another save point. not played Harmony Of Dissonance.
    -Sonic Advance 3. doesn't register the save. hardly a problem though, I could probably clear it in one sitting anyway.
    -Robot Wars Extreme Destruction was having some trouble but it seems to be working now.
    -The English patched version of Fire Emblem 6 doesn't even seem to have created a save file.

are any of these notorious for having save trouble or is it just me? I heard about Aria Of Sorrow has trouble quite often. and are there any others I should watch out for? Games such as Racing Gears and Mario Kart work perfectly, including the saves. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald won't work at all, just a white screen. same goes for Mario Advance 4. the EZ Flash seems a little hit and miss to me.

6. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK. confirmed that whatever problem is causing the 'error code 5' message is caused by the EZ flash 3-1 card, not my EVO or my memory card. removing the EZ 3-1 gets rid of the message. It also seems to be linked to my save data mysteriously vanishing, most notably my Zelda save. is there a fault with the EZ 3-1? If so, I can send it back, right? I bought it from a site called PCJerry. there was no receipt sent out but I have the emails they sent me confirming that the item had been paid for and sent out. That's just as good, surely? There must be some fault with it. My EVO has never given me an error message before now. It was perfect. now the EZ 3-1 is causing a tonne of problems. If it wasn;t for the fact that GBA games are nigh impossible to acquire in my area I would just take it out and forget the whole idea.

7. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    First you have to ask in cyclods forum what 'error code 5' mean.
    Second, when there is a 3in1 inserted, the very first thing the evo do is backup the 3in1 SRAM (last GBA game's save) content to the microSD.
    I'm not sure the 3in1 is out of order in this story ...